Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Model 10 deal?

Site Supporter
    I picked my 10-5 up today. It's blue worn, but in great mechanical shape. Timing is near perfect on all cylinders, bore is bright, crown very lightly dinged and the cylinder gap is .006 pass/.007 hold. I'll detail strip it this week, clean the bore and cylinder well and see what it does. If past experience of this era of K-frame .38s (early 70s) is reliable, it will be an excellent shooter.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Super cool to hear everyone's reports of mechanically sound guns! This thread needs more pics

Got to fiddle with mine while filling out the 4473, today. Factory-level endshake, lockup as tight as my 10-11, looks great with the chewed grips and heavily worn finish, and the action is butter. Can't wait to feel how it gets even smoother after a cleaning and lube. My plan to drop in a reduced weight Wolff hammer spring is canceled and I'll use the service weight instead as this doesn't need to get lighter. Between cleaning, lube, and a hammer spring designed to slightly inprove triggers, this may well wind up the best revolver trigger in my house.

Also ordered a black basketweave Strong 4NYC thumb-break pancake holster to go with it. The rig was also made in Massachusetts (Gloucester) and the break is sized for bobbed hammers as I intend to do. It'll look great with the correct vintage 10-5 snapped in place with a Pachmayr grip adapter. Was going to go with a brown rig but the high spots on the tooled black holster wearing down to tan leather will match the look of the chewed stock better.

Got it home, scrubbed it out, bobbed the hammer, installed a Wollf reduced powerd hammer spring, tossed on a Pachmay grip adapter, and can't wait to get it to the range.

Oh, also grabbed some obnoxious yellow nail polish.

Also grabbed a snub-nose 10 and gave it the same hammer spring, Barami Hip-Grip stocks, and anothe Pachmayr adapter. Hammer bob pending.

The Malay model 10 has a fine cylinder gap and needs brushed regularly. Couple thrown shots as a result of binding causing the trigger pull to go through the roof. Ran a Wizard Drill from a thumb-break holster snapped but hand on butt then the Marine CPP qualification as write but DAO at 25 yards and running the closer reload stage as a New York reload with an AIWB model 10 snub. Target is a trace of the scoring rings on a BT-5 with 10 ring noted and traced credit card aiming spot. 3x5 card headbox:

Wizard.

CPP with mix of 158gr FMJ-FP, 158gr LRN, 158gr SWC, and 148gr wadcutter.

I dig this little thing. Oh, light strikes now and then so I reinstalled the factory hammer spring and it's all good, now. Same in the model 10 snub but that is fussier about POA/POI with various anmo and seems to print most low where the Malaysian just parks stuff on the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    The Malay model 10 has a fine cylinder gap and needs brushed regularly...
    This has proven to be far too tight despite constant brushing every cylinder two. Just kissed the forcing cone with a 400 grit diamond stone until the entire face was fresh silver. Then ran the 600 grit stone over a bit to smooth the surface and take a teeny bit more. It's still a very tight gap but I'll see if it's relieved enough before going any further since I can't add material back.

Also need to kiss the leading edge of the ejector star with some fine emery cloth as it's sharp enough to grab the occasional case before fully seated.

I know it isn't true but the Malay makes me feel like I missed out on a nobler time:

Anybody still playing with their impulse buys? Mine'll be on me all weekend:

Name:  08-14-2021_UltraliteRiverBass.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  81.4 KB

Ditched the usual pocket back-up LCR at home to avoid losing it in the river and just had the .22 LCP II in my man purse where it seems to live. Lightweight rod, small cigar, K-frame, and a day in a derelict old mill dam gorge with a kid made life just about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Anybody still playing with their impulse buys? Mine'll be on me all weekend:

Name:  08-14-2021_UltraliteRiverBass.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  81.4 KB

Ditched the usual pocket back-up LCR at home to avoid losing it in the river and just had the .22 LCP II in my man purse where it seems to live. Lightweight rod, small cigar, K-frame, and a day in a derelict old mill dam gorge with a kid made life just about perfect.
    Pretty nice "kit" you got there.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Pretty nice "kit" you got there.
    I just need my new personal time Zippo to get scratched up, dinged, and wear through the chrome like the work one I inherited from my grandfather with a semi-matching engraving.

User Tag List