Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Model 10 deal?

Service Update:

Name:  20220212_142555.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  80.0 KB

Still loving the Malay surplus.

This is a bit of a crosspost from my Bodyguard 38 thread but used the Malaysian Model 10 as part of the introductory revolver smorgasboard with a friend. He kept several cylinders in the 10 ring of a BT-5 target out to seven yards having never before live fired a double-action. The feat was repeated with my 2" Model 10 and 22LR Ruger LCR. His favorites were the Model 10s over even a Target Masterpiece. My buddy will probably still razz me for being a revolver curmudgeon in the 21st century, though.

Another group pulled in as I was packing up my N-frames, K-frames, and snubs. One of them stopped my attempt to leave to ask for a tour of what he called "the cool pile of '70s cop guns." Him then finding out that I carry a Model 10 got me a fistbump.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Service Update:

Name:  20220212_142555.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  80.0 KB

Still loving the Malay surplus.
    Pencil Barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Moped View Post
    Pencil Barrel?
    Yes. I'm one of the odd ducks who prefers their balance and lighter carry weight.

Yes. I'm one of the odd ducks who prefers their balance and lighter carry weight.
    I think there’s a lot of us odd ducks in the revo hive.

PBs have a better sight picture to boot.

I picked up an almost cherry 10-7 this spring with the PB. I have to agree with the better balance and lighter carry weight being an advantage. I really like it! It shoots better than I do. Just need to find some wadcutters for it!!!

I took the Malay wheelgun to a small 3 Gun match over the weekend. People rolled their eyes when they heard someone would be shooting a round gun; then rolled harder when my buddy chimed in that he was, as well. The R.O. sighed when I made ready for stage one and a fixed sight antique came out from an AIWB rig*. He sighed again as he saw the bob when we cleared the gun at the end of the stage and commented that, "well, there isn't a hammer to drop so just holster it." One interesting part of the stage was an unloaded table start. My friend later reported grumbling from the peanut gallery that loading a revolver before shooting and needing reloads to clear all the targets would take forever and slow us all down. That nonsense stopped immediately after the timer went off.

Having a mix of range marked loaders, I used HKS as the first load; Safariland Comp-III as the first reload; and Safariland Comp-II for any further reloads. The "slow" HKS had me shooting before some semi-auto guys got their guns loaded. Slamming a Comp-III home, my friend reported people being puzzled at how fast it went. Shooting next, his moonclip fed 9mm revolver completely silenced any comments about the wheelguns being a burden. A half-deaf older gentleman - who shot very well with a red dot equipped striker nine - pulled me aside before the next stage to say how much fun it was to watch a revolver and pump shotgun given a real run.

Another stage required all three guns and had a nicely simple handgun bit made to force shooters to wildly shift gears. A 10-yard Texas star behind a fullsize no-shoot and, at a very aggressive oblique with some visual distraction, a larger static steel about forty yards out that required one hit. I went 6/6 and the same older gent just gave me a solid nod and happy smirk the next time we made eye contact. Two 3" plates were placed ten yards out on another stage which gave some bother to a few guys and someone asked if I was concerned about shooting a "hamerless" DAO. I shot them first had four cartridges remaining to start to work on a plate rack and assorted knockovers further out. That stage had people snicker at the "one guy" who was shooting his carry gun from his carry holster (iron sighted Sig P365XL with manual safety** in a stongside IWB). "Two guys", I said.

"Who's the other?"

"Me."

"No, really, who's shooting their carry gun?"

"Me," I said again and got some very confused looks.

Having recently found a jar of old 158 grain lead flat nose conical bullets in the depths of a storage cabinet, I made some ugly reloads over 4.5 grains of Unique for the match to burn them up. The load averaged around 850fps out of the 4" gun and ran with no issues save two cartridges I had to poke fully into the chamber after releasing from a Comp-II (the plunger-driven Comp-III seated everything fully) as I never brushed the gun during the match and they had a little lead shaving at the case mouth. I noticed some shaving while loading and chose both not to adjust the belling die and not to wipe the cut lead off. The first because I didn't care and the second because I was lazy. Plunk testing them, it wasn't an issue in a clean gun but the fouling made the shaved cartridges a slight speedbump. Compared to the ammunition-related stoppages I saw in some red dot autopistol guys, it was nothing. To note how dirty the gun was before I had to poke the couple cartridges, it looked like I pulled it from a coal bin. My friend asked why I didn't brush it between stages and I replied that I spent time stoning the forcing cone to open the cylinder gap and intended for let the gun get dirty for the work to pay off. And added more quietly that I wanted avoid looking like my gun was finicky in a crowd of semi-automatics. The steel fell every time my loads hit, which it didn't with some of the 9mm other people ran.

One of the younger shooters (whose recoil control with a CETME was impressive) talked to us as we were packing to leave and asked if I was shooting a 1917 moonclip gun to reload so fast. I handed him the Model 10 with a quick note about police surplus and home bobbed hammer. He then asked to see my speedloaders as he did some dryfire. My gun was declared "cute" and the trigger deemed "surprisingly nice...for a revolver." He then laughed that I was serious about it being a carry gun when I dropped in some LSWCHP and reholstered.

* He later gave me a talking to for holstering an old gun in kydex. It being homemade earned me partial dispensation but the fatherly disappointment could still be felt.
    ** Which he used like a champ and dumped his safed pistol faster than some people could their safety-less striker guns and more smoothly than any of the 2011 shooters. Kid was a poster child for automaticity.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 10-30-2023 at 09:45 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    ^^^^^ This needs a "megalike" button.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Agreed. Great post.

Site Supporter
    Love it. That post reminds me of a "Tactical 2-gun" match that was held in an area I used to frequent. They were adamant that revolvers and leather holsters were unwelcome. Had I not stopped being in that area regularly, I was going to show up with a Garand and a Model 10 in a Galco Combat Master just to prove a point.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List