Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pepper spray

Pepper spray

Not sure where to post this. Are there any reputable video tutorials for a pepper / OC spray deployment beyond what Google search brings?

An acquaintance got a can of Sabre Red something, no prior training.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I had hoped for this type of subject coming up in the new unarmed combatives, (aka Jiu-Jitsu), forum.

I am a dummy, so I just followed a very simple rule for fights where I used pepper spray.

People are affected differently by the stuff. Some a lot, some, barely at all.

So my rule has always been this:

"One Can-One Man".

Even though I am serious, my comments are tongue in cheek and don't take them as a training recommendation..

Personally I hate the stuff as it is pretty much next to impossible to avoid getting it on you when you go hands-on, and I am one of those people who are greatly affected by the crap. I stopped carrying the stuff many years ago, as it made me too vulnerable to weapons grabs, and after a couple of bad experiences of fighting while pretty much blind, I said F-that, never again.

Sidebar: Years ago I got "The talk" by my chain of command after I threatened to punch a female patrolman in the mouth if they ever sprayed me again. I was rolling on the ground with a suspect (we had a difference of opinion about whether or not he needed to go to jail for a warrant), and it was a pretty good fight, so I radio'ed for help. Different agency's Cop chick shows up and instead of diving in, stands back and sprays us both.

Totally blinded me, which made the situation dangerously worse for about two or three more minutes (or 45 seconds, I have NO idea)until someone else showed up, dove in and got control of the guys other arm. The only thing I could do was pin him up, and control his arms, to prevent him from reaching my gun at the time, while waiting for a real cop to show up.

My choice of words (while my face was still on fire) immediately afterwards caused some hurt feelings..

The funny part is I had a much WORSE experience years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Not sure where to post this. Are there any reputable video tutorials for a pepper / OC spray deployment beyond what Google search brings?

An acquaintance got a can of Sabre Red something, no prior training.
    Active Self Protection Extra on YouTube has been running a series with Chuck Haggard on pepper spray and Managing Unknown Contacts:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-i...DvWQb3w/videos

Anything from Chuck is worth watching!

Preferences for gel vs spray?

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Preferences for gel vs spray?
    100% spray outside of very niche applications where even slight cross contamination is absolutely unacceptable. Gel just takes too long to have any meaningful effect.

Site Supporter
    Concur that gel is strictly for situations where cross-contamination is a significant issue such as corrections, health care, and extremely crowded venues where stampeding is a concern (some sporting events, concerts, and cars/nightclubs come to mind---if we remember what they were like in this age of social distancing.

That said, our county police department is now issuing gel. I suspect many officers were reluctant to use spray because of concern over contamination. Less surprisingly, the local camous security organization is also issuing gel.

Practically Tactical just re released an episode with Trek from MDFI on March 24. The discussed less than lethal options, including pepper spray. Mixed in it was a good discussion on use of force.

I personally EDC a POM unit. In my opinion, the sliding safety on the typical Sabre Red units are terrible. It was very common to find it had slid off “safe”. Flip top is, like the POM or Sabre MK6 are a basic requirement for me.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Active Self Protection Extra on YouTube has been running a series with Chuck Haggard on pepper spray and Managing Unknown Contacts:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-i...DvWQb3w/videos

Anything from Chuck is worth watching!
    Thanks - those are excellent videos of Chuck giving his version of MUC.

For folks wanting to fast forward to Chuck's pepper spray technique, go straight to video 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMdL3XKFGSw

User Tag List