Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quark Tactical EDC Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Take a look at Elzetta. You can build a light with a high/low tail cap.
    Am I blind, or does Elzetta not specify what emitters they use anywhere on their site?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    Am I blind, or does Elzetta not specify what emitters they use anywhere on their site?
    I found this blog post on their website about beam tint.
    --Jason--

I saw that, which made it seem extra strange that they go to the trouble to expound on tint without saying what emitter. If anything, you usually see the emitter named, but nothing about tint.

Unless I am not looking at it right even the elzetta tail cap is either high or low based on button clicks. The Quark Tactical I have you can twist the bezel loose and prof it for say low, then twist it right and program it for high. I carry it with bezel right on high if I need to use it as awful or for a defensive use or to light up something far away I just push the button. If I need less light like looking at something under a seat or dimly light without being blinded I just twist the bezel loose and hit the button. There is no need for double or multiple clicks, I can never remember which one it defaults to.

My low setting is 30-50 lumens high is max I believe about 700.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Unless I am not looking at it right even the elzetta tail cap is either high or low based on button clicks. The Quark Tactical I have you can twist the bezel loose and prof it for say low, then twist it right and program it for high. I carry it with bezel right on high if I need to use it as awful or for a defensive use or to light up something far away I just push the button. If I need less light like looking at something under a seat or dimly light without being blinded I just twist the bezel loose and hit the button. There is no need for double or multiple clicks, I can never remember which one it defaults to.

My low setting is 30-50 lumens high is max I believe about 700.
    They have multiple tail caps. The high low tail cap is rotary for high/ low. They state that the low is only 15 lumens though.

https://www.elzetta.com/product/alpha-high-low-tailcap/

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I still have my Quarks, great little lights! Like you, I also greatly prefer my lights "shit simple" and truly have zero desire for the vast majority of multifunction lights that have flooded the market.

Assuming we are speaking of lights small enough to comfortably carry in the bottom of a pants pocket intended for general utilitarian/administrative use, I have settled on a simple, single-output light. The key to my 100% happiness with the single output was finding the right amount of lumens and overall beam pattern. The light that I now EDC for this purpose is a Malkoff using their 200-lumen M61L drop-in, which I find bright enough for outdoor navigation but not overwhelming when looking for something in a box or under a chair. I've found that I more prefer the simple, rock-solid operation of this light than having a second lower output.

Dead-nuts simple, built like a brick poop house and utterly reliable, with about two hours of runtime on a single rechargeable 16340 Li-ion cell. To me, that defines the light I want with me at all times.

Malkoff VME head
    Malkoff M61L drop-in
    Malkoff 1CR123 body

Ordered two of each. I've read enough of your posts to trust and well, it's Friday night...

Site Supporter
    I saw that, which made it seem extra strange that they go to the trouble to expound on tint without saying what emitter. If anything, you usually see the emitter named, but nothing about tint.
    Yeah, I never noticed it. Most companies list the emitter because everyone wants a specific one.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Ordered two of each. I've read enough of your posts to trust and well, it's Friday night...
    I think you'll be pleased! Mine resides in front pants pocket and gets used daily.

BTW, in a pinch the M61L drop-in will also run on a CR123 battery, but at reduced output.

Elzetta tint is very nice to my eyes. Good balance of outdoor definition. Much better than some higher lumen but higher temp lights. And no step down.

I think companies talk emitter like name dropping. Most people still don't think in terms of color temp. or CRI. Even a given emitter can have variances in temp. and tint. Some surefire lights can be greener even with same emitter as an example. Call Elzetta and axe them what emitter it is if it effects your buying decision.

Malkoff will not say what emitters they use in some lights.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I think you'll be pleased! Mine resides in front pants pocket and gets used daily.

BTW, in a pinch the M61L drop-in will also run on a CR123 battery, but at reduced output.
    What does that configuration do different than the regular SHO MDC? Both sound great.

User Tag List