Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quark Tactical EDC Replacement

Quark Tactical EDC Replacement

The four sevens quark line has been discontinued for a while now. I have a few that still work well but want to get some replacements.

I am looking for something with the same features; ability to set and select 2 output options by twisting the bezel/ head.
    Tight set to high and twist to loosen programmed to a lower setting. Selecting output modes by clicking the tail cap
    never really wired for me.

I need something shit simple with a high and low option preferably without needing to click the tail cap.

With you there man. I *really* hope my QTL works forever - I love that little light.

Site Supporter
    Take a look at Elzetta. You can build a light with a high/low tail cap.
    --Jason--

The SureFire Tactician might fit the bill in terms of switchology: https://www.surefire.com/e2t-mv-tact...lashlight.html

Twist bezel to set high or low, twist tailcap for constant on/off, momentary only tailcap.

Surefire tactician does exactly that. I believe also you can get a high low bezel switch from Malkoff. I am not sure if the low setting on either is high enough for you though (only 5 lumens). Personally for me, 5 lumens does nothing. The flashlight on my phone is brighter than that.

The Malkoff Bodyguard and Bodyguard 2 goes to high and than low after a few seconds automatically downgrades to a lower setting. This may also suit your needs. The low setting is much higher than 5 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    I need something shit simple with a high and low option preferably without needing to click the tail cap.
    I still have my Quarks, great little lights! Like you, I also greatly prefer my lights "shit simple" and truly have zero desire for the vast majority of multifunction lights that have flooded the market.

Assuming we are speaking of lights small enough to comfortably carry in the bottom of a pants pocket intended for general utilitarian/administrative use, I have settled on a simple, single-output light. The key to my 100% happiness with the single output was finding the right amount of lumens and overall beam pattern. The light that I now EDC for this purpose is a Malkoff using their 200-lumen M61L drop-in, which I find bright enough for outdoor navigation but not overwhelming when looking for something in a box or under a chair. I've found that I more prefer the simple, rock-solid operation of this light than having a second lower output.

Dead-nuts simple, built like a brick poop house and utterly reliable, with about two hours of runtime on a single rechargeable 16340 Li-ion cell. To me, that defines the light I want with me at all times.

Malkoff VME head
    Malkoff M61L drop-in
    Malkoff 1CR123 body

https://darksucks.com/collections/fo...rk-qk16l-mkiii

Available through Prometheus Lights, but programs through the tailcap. It's a great little light, but after discovering Malkoff there really is no going back.

Site Supporter
    I am still a fan of the HDS Systems EDC Tactical. It's simple and solid. https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/EDC-T1B-325/

Well, it appears my options are limited. low 5 lumens does nothing for me. It seems the market has moved to tail cap double push button for dual mode for the most part, and I don't really want to spend $150 or more. Thanks for the input I will most likely start with a streamlight Protac and learn to use and like the tail cap double push button for dual mode and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Well, it appears my options are limited. low 5 lumens does nothing for me. It seems the market has moved to tail cap double push button for dual mode for the most part, and I don't really want to spend $150 or more. Thanks for the input I will most likely start with a streamlight Protac and learn to use and like the tail cap double push button for dual mode and go from there.
    EDCL1-t? Dual output no adjustments? Depress tail cap part way for low and fully for high (gas pedal switch)? The ONLY thing simpler is a single output. Usually $130ish.

Even a twist bezel or tail cap can be in the wrong position at the wrong time.

Or am I missing something?

ETA In todays world lumens amount is not as important as beam shape and throw. What do you want the low setting to do?

Yes I wish the above light had a version with a 30ish lumen low. However like gas milage I think people are way to concerned with run time numbers. And a 30 human low would only give around 5 hours runtime

A Sunwayman with a dial adjust is very simple also. Any level from 1-500 by turning a ring below the bezel. Tail cap on/off. Downside is the adjustment ring moves fairly easily in a pocket or when handling.
    Last edited by Navin Johnson; 04-02-2020 at 10:34 AM.

User Tag List