Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Take: X300U vs TLR1-HL for IWB carry

My Take: X300U vs TLR1-HL for IWB carry

It turns out that an 800 lumen TLR-HL is 0.5" shorter than a 1000 lumen X300U. I have had multiples of both lights for a long time but was too much of a SF fanboy to realize this until now stuck at home...

I used to carry my G17 IWB in a beautiful Mitch Rosen holster off duty back in the day before WML. However the X200/X300/X300U I have carried for over a decade stick out in a way that makes IWB hard for my body type. Even carrying OWB in a Raven pancake holster on duty the light pokes into things constantly.

I have had every iteration of TLR-1 as well and I love the beam pattern and brightness but have had a hard time deciding where to mount them. The switch is maybe too easy to use and it's a bit taller than an X300 so I can't mount at my preferred 12:00 rail on my carbines.

Now being stuck at home with my kids a Raven Perun holster for a G17 TLR-1 somehow ended up in my Amazon cart. So I put one on my backup G17 and found that 0.5" makes a huge difference for not only IWB but OWB as well. No more poking my car seats or pants in an annoying way and sticks out below a cover garment less. The switch is easier to activate which is good and bad but I think overall positive so far. I will need to train more to be sure.

I realize all this was probably obvious to the less SF obsessed [emoji6]

Dennis.

PS. I have no intention of switching out the X300Us on my duty and personal long guns.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'm fond of the TLR lights, but my personal issue is that I have small hands/short fingers, and the only really viable switch option is a DG switch. Streamlight's version destroys my strong-hand interface with the grip, so I have gone WML-less on my sidearms. I'm also fond of 4"-ish guns, and the SF lights stick out way too far. A DG switch for a TLR7 would be a game changer for me.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'm fond of the TLR lights, but my personal issue is that I have small hands/short fingers, and the only really viable switch option is a DG switch. Streamlight's version destroys my strong-hand interface with the grip, so I have gone WML-less on my sidearms. I'm also fond of 4"-ish guns, and the SF lights stick out way too far. A DG switch for a TLR7 would be a game changer for me.
    Have you tried the TLR1 HL switch? They extended the controls on the newer versions compared to earlier TLR1’s. It’s visible in the pic above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Have you tried the TLR1 HL switch? They extended the controls on the newer versions compared to earlier TLR1’s. It’s visible in the pic above.
    No. My TLR1 is a 1st generation model. On a Gen3 Glock, the pad of my trigger finger rests on the take-down lever in register.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

If you have a gun with multiple slots you can drive out those 4 pins on the X300 and may sit shorter depending on the gun

Same for the tlr-1

On new STI rails with multi slots the Tlr-1 with the P320 rail key kits about 3/4” back from the muzzle of a 5 inch barrel

A DG switch for a TLR7 would be a game changer for me.
    These are coming out soon...

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...l/index/tlr-7a

I run a TLR7 on my carry G19 due to its perfectly unobstrusive size and surprising brightness.

I can't control it as quickly as with a DG switch but having a light is worth adjusting your tactics and techniques. My Dept banned DG switches so I had to get un-stuck on the idea that instant on/off is necessary. I have cleared and covered hundreds of indoor and outdoor spaces and found pros and cons both with and without a DG switch.

Dennis.

Last edited by Dennis; 03-27-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Where did you get the snap on corded holsters ? I have never seen any for a pistol w/light

Quote Originally Posted by winstsa1 View Post
    Where did you get the snap on corded holsters ? I have never seen any for a pistol w/light
    Homemade. Note the uneven lines...

I have used one on my G19 for a couple years with no issues.

Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by winstsa1 View Post
    Dale Fricke has the Zacchaeus listed with lights as an option.

https://dalefrickeholsters.com/produ...lment-holster/

Have you seen the PHLster ARC extended switches for Surefire and Streamlight?
    David S.

User Tag List