Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NICS Shutdown?

NICS Shutdown?

A friend of mine with an FFL just told me that the NICS system is being shut down temporarily, all weekend.

He shared this post, and stated he also received the email. He is an FFL.
    Just got the word that the FBI will be shutting down the NICS, disabling the firearms transfer process for the entire US!
    The shut down is due to begin at 12:01am Saturday March 28th!
    The news release states "temorarily" (until 8:00am Monday March 30th), but this means no one in the country will be able to complete a firearms transfer all weekend!
    Notice states... "This means, when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review."
    While I trust this person, can anyone else corroborate this, or post the full text of the email?

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 03-27-2020 at 05:03 PM.

My agency runs our state’s system that “talks” to NICS. I’ve not seen anything sent out about NICS being shut down.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-nics-running/

He just sent the full text of the email. Apparently it was sent to him from NICS under an hour ago.

Good Afternoon,

As a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules due to the COVID-19 protocols, beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 28, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process. This means, when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review.
    If you have any questions please to not respond to this email, instead please email nicsliaison@fbi.gov.

Thanks,

The NICS Business Unit
    I would be overjoyed to hear this is incorrect.

-Cory

EDIT: The friend I mentioned in the first post told me he has been asked not to spread the information, that he isn't suppose to do so. As a result I have removed his state from the post. In addition, a quick google search using a sentence in the email turned up a post on another forum where an FFL from Missouri posted the text of the email as well.
    Last edited by Cory; 03-27-2020 at 05:06 PM.

I haven't received any e-mails regarding NICS yet. The ATF sends out emails about theft of firearms from local FFL's but I don't think I've ever received an email from NICS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    It does appear to be accurate. We're working on it.

Not that I'm in need, but I'm thankful that in my state, possession of a valid CHL/LTC satisfies/negates the NICS check at time of transfer.

Nebraska had (has?) a Handgun Purchase Permit that worked the same way.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 03-27-2020 at 07:05 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

My brother picked up a firearm from the FFL today. His FFL told him about NICS being shut down for the weekend too.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Not that I'm in need, but I'm thankful that in my state, possession of a valid CHL/LTC satisfies/negates the NICS check at time of transfer.

Nebraska had (has?) a Handgun Purchase Permit that worked the same way.
    Agreed - the same way here in Texas. It's the second best reason to have a permit.

Site Supporter
    It seems to me that if they can arbitrarily turn it off for 48 hours, what’s to keep them from turning it off for a week? Two weeks? A month? Six months?

Can anyone with a better understanding of the laws than me tell me whether this would effectively prevent firearms purchases nationwide until NICS is back up? Seems like there’s a “3 working days” exemption, but does this apply if they turn NICS off?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    It seems to me that if they can arbitrarily turn it off for 48 hours, what’s to keep them from turning it off for a week? Two weeks? A month? Six months?

Can anyone with a better understanding of the laws than me tell me whether this would effectively prevent firearms purchases nationwide until NICS is back up? Seems like there’s a “3 working days” exemption, but does this apply if they turn NICS off?
    Not all states use NICS:

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...pation-map.pdf

User Tag List