Thread: Why don’t major pistol manufacturers offer 1/2” threaded barrels?

Why don’t major pistol manufacturers offer 1/2” threaded barrels?

Glock screwed the pooch with their metric threads. How hard can it be to offer a SKU with 1/2” threads? This, asks the guy who just dropped $170 on a threaded barrel. Hell, they could charge a $100 premium for the threaded barrel version and I would be all over that.

I think they all do except Glock and HK?

Maybe I need to gut out more. (I'm pretty Glock-centric.) ETA: Or even get out more...

I thought the Euro guns had the LH thread because the cans are less likely to back off while shooting? All my 1/2x28 bbls and cans require periodic tightening when shooting. It’s one reason I keep Nomex gloves in my range bag.

The whole gun is designed in metric
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    I just picked up a G45 in a factory threaded model with Ameriglo black suppressor height sights: PA455S3G03TB. The G19 model is PA195S3G03TB, but I didn't see a G17 when searching for one under the same naming convention. I can't remember where I saw it, but these are threaded marksman barrels. They're also sold separately under Glock SKU # 47698.
    Name:  20200330_171932.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  69.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Glock screwed the pooch with their metric threads. How hard can it be to offer a SKU with 1/2” threads? This, asks the guy who just dropped $170 on a threaded barrel. Hell, they could charge a $100 premium for the threaded barrel version and I would be all over that.
    Like these?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    I just picked up a G45 in a factory threaded model with Ameriglo black suppressor height sights: PA455S3G03TB. The G19 model is PA195S3G03TB, but I didn't see a G17 when searching for one under the same naming convention. I can't remember where I saw it, but these are threaded marksman barrels. They're also sold separately under Glock SKU # 47698.
    Name:  20200330_171932.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  69.2 KB
    When I picked up my G45 I had a hard time deciding between the treaded model and the non-threaded. I went non threaded only because I didn’t like the stock suppressor height sights. Now thanks to @Duke I’ve been spending some time researching comps. All the factory Gen 5 threaded barrels are out of stock. I’m enjoying shooting the G45 more than I thought I would. I might have to go back for that threaded G45.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Hol-ee crap dude! How did I not know this?!? And the barrels from Glock come in at a decent price. Will be firing off an order to Glock for a threaded barrel for their 19X pretty quick. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Sadly, I haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet due to the stay-at-home orders issued in VA right now. Here are a couple of small details you should note. In the picture below you'll see the G45 with the factory barrel on the left, and my G19 with Silencerco threaded barrel on the right. The factory thread protector is noticeably wider than the Silencerco and doesn't fit the open muzzle end of my JM Custom IWB 3.0 holster, whereas the latter thread protector just barely makes it. When I tried the SiCo thread protector on the factory barrel, I noticed that there's a secondary shoulder preventing it from screwing down all the way, but the factory protector also protects the crown. Both barrels still fit my Silencerco Octane 9 and my Safariland G17 holster the same, but it MAY make a difference with certain comps.
    Name:  20200330_225958.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  31.4 KBName:  20200330_231434.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  41.9 KB
    Last edited by 757_Magnum; 03-30-2020 at 10:25 PM.

User Tag List