Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Vogel Just posted a 2.98 FAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    How do you balance that with the ruthless consistency it takes to shoot 94% of the points available at a match?

Or am I asking for the entire game in a nutshell? LOL
    It isn't really about balance of one versus the other. Just apply the techniques to get the points you need in the lowest possible time. I do not agree with the school of thought that says you trade accuracy for speed or you can slow down and then just be more accurate. It really doesn't work that way.

Ben,
    If I'm understanding you (which is doubtfu) what you're talking about is directly related to calling your shots and then being able to instantly or possibly subconsiously determne if that shot was good enough for the situation at hand? As opposed to trying to determine the necessary accuracy going into a target and slowing down or speeding up based on the relative "easyness" or "hardness" of the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Stoeger View Post
    Shooting at a pace where I can guarantee anything will pretty much only guarantee I wont be winning the match. If you aren't fast, it doesn't matter how accurate you are.
    That's a great point.

I could tell from reviewing my times from the last major that I was shooting too slow for accuracy and it cost me a lot of time. WAY MORE than if I would have dropped more points shooting at my naturally faster pace.
    http://thedownzerojourney.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Ben,
    If I'm understanding you (which is doubtfu) what you're talking about is directly related to calling your shots and then being able to instantly or possibly subconsiously determne if that shot was good enough for the situation at hand? As opposed to trying to determine the necessary accuracy going into a target and slowing down or speeding up based on the relative "easyness" or "hardness" of the target.
    I am not really talking about shot calling. What I am saying is that you apply the techniques to get the points you need in the fastest time. On a 5 yard target you may just see your sights on the target and then let 2 shots go. On a 10 yard target you may look through the sights and shoot. On a 25 yard target you might use a hard front sight focus and be extremely careful with your trigger control.

The point is that shooting a 25 yard target like it is a 5 yard target or the other way around will completely screw you. To be a good USPSA shooter you need to learn to shoot all types of targets as efficiently as possible and then swiftly transition between target types. It takes quite awhile to get all that down.

I am not really talking about shot calling. What I am saying is that you apply the techniques to get the points you need in the fastest time. On a 5 yard target you may just see your sights on the target and then let 2 shots go. On a 10 yard target you may look through the sights and shoot. On a 25 yard target you might use a hard front sight focus and be extremely careful with your trigger control.

The point is that shooting a 25 yard target like it is a 5 yard target or the other way around will completely screw you. To be a good USPSA shooter you need to learn to shoot all types of targets as efficiently as possible and then swiftly transition between target types. It takes quite awhile to get all that down.
    Thanks for sharing your point of view on this stuff.

I practice an awful lot of core gunhandling skills and shoot as much as I can afford, but it's all been oriented around short exercises that one might consider relevant for self-defense training. I've shot two USPSA matches so far and have been quite struck at how burdensome it is to deal with the monumental amount of serial tasking that there is in a USPSA stage.

It isn't really about balance of one versus the other. Just apply the techniques to get the points you need in the lowest possible time. I do not agree with the school of thought that says you trade accuracy for speed or you can slow down and then just be more accurate. It really doesn't work that way.
    That sums it up.
    Just add your own hard work and sacrifice and you can be a GM.
    Maybe.
    Thanks for the insite Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    I agree. As long as you have to take a class in order for the run to be valid, there is very little danger of overcrowding on the FAST wall.
    What if there were a little more incentive for multiple sub-three second runs?

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Hot damn! The race is on! This is better than Moto GP!

Necropost: just saw on Facebook where Bob Vogel shot a 2.1 sec FAST test but not from concealment (so add .5 sec?).

https://www.facebook.com/robert.g.vo...Kn-4oB599dLMs0

...not sure how to extract the video w/o FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=1594786260576564

Impressive shooting, no doubt. However, it doesn’t look to be anywhere near 7 yards. The text posted with the video makes reference to an “ultra speed fast drill”. I have no idea what that is, but I suspect it’s variant of the FAST shot at 3 yards and from competition gear.

ETA: despite the video being listed as public, it doesn’t embed. Not sure what the deal is with that.
    There's been a thing about about these 3-yard ultra fast drills going on faceyspace. Tim Herron worked hard to get under 3 i think it was.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List