Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Holster Creak

Leather Holster Creak

Hi all, I have a Wright Leather pancake style leather holster (Predator is the model, I believe), and it creaks like mad when used. I've determined that what is happening is the tension created by the combination of my belt and the pistol causes a tiny bit of torquing/twisting right near the trigger guard any time I move. This results in a "creak creak creak creak" when I walk, and even lots of creaking when I am seated.

I have tried leather conditioner/leather milk, breaking it in, twisting the gun in the holster to loosen it up, and I probably have 10-20 hours of wearing it (in very small increments as it drives me crazy).

My latest experiment is I have it in a humidor (tupperdor) held at 69% humidity. Going to leave it in there for a week and see if it still creaks, at least as a data point. Or maybe it will be a moldy mess, we'll see.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I run Kydex almost exclusively so I don't have any other leather OWB holsters to compare it to. I had some leather IWB way back and didn't have this issue. Is this just a problem with the Wright Leather holster or is this common with leather OWB?

Thanks
    Join FPC

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Man, I know I read in a magazine umpteen years ago of someone using baby powder and working it into the seams and wear marks of where it met the belt but I can't remember how they did it. It was pretty low tech, like maybe just putting it in a Ziploc bag and shaking it? I don't recall the particulars and it's been years ago, but maybe someone else recalls?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Okay boomer.

Sorry couldn’t resist.

Seriously though if it bugs you get rid of it. It it worth the mental energy ? Is it so much better at its job that it warrants the worry?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My leather hiking boots creak. Love that sound. Don't use them for hunting.

Baby powder seems like a decent solution to try.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Okay boomer.

Sorry couldn’t resist.

Seriously though if it bugs you get rid of it. It it worth the mental energy ? Is it so much better at its job that it warrants the worry?
    It's worth a post after like 5 years of not worrying about it. I'd like to have a leather holster.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    Yes, leather creaks. Saddles, holsters, boots, belts, etc. Baby powder or mink oil can reduce it, but nothing can eliminate it. If it bugs you, use something else.

I remember reading an article about a veteran of the French resistance in WWII who only would ever use canvas holsters because they didn’t creak like leather, which would have been a dead giveaway during the war.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    I'd like to have a leather holster.
    Why?

Wasn’t trying to be rude. None of my business, I don’t care really.

To each his own. But if it’s bugging you for 5 years the return seems diminishing.

Again wasn’t trying to be rude

I usually find changing the belt affects the squeak. And it's not always leather/leather doing it. My Wilderness belt causes some of my leather holsters to squeak more than a leather belt does.

Baby powder worked well when I had that issue almost 20 years ago.

The squeak didn't really bother me, but it definitely drew attention to the holstered firearm.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Several options. Talcum powder seems the best for holsters.

https://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Leather-Boots-from-Squeaking

User Tag List