Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The definitive thread regarding non-5.56 AR ammo rec's

The definitive thread regarding non-5.56 AR ammo rec's

For home defense, not necessarily LEO.

So when searching for best 300 BO ammo, the threads always seem to swerve into super vs subsonic rounds (with the experts all saying use super). However no specific load/round is mentioned. Very little out there on 6.8 SPC either.

Any lists of recommended loads for 300/6.5/6.8/new hotness, or links to reputable people who performed adequate ballistic testing? Or, lists of approved loads for .mil or LEA's?

Thanks

cc
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 03-27-2020 at 09:52 AM.

For various 6.8 & 6.5 Grendel with barrels ranging from 12-16”, I have always been impressed with consistency, price, and terminal performance of the Hornady factory SST ammo. 120-123 grains.

Myself and my hunting buddy usually shoot 100+ hogs per summer, and have tried lots of different types of ammo. The SST’s are very consistent, from premium to the cheapest of barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 300 Blk subs I run Maker 200gr REX. Lots of hog hunters running them or the Lehigh Defense subs.

For 6.5 Grendel I run Nosler Accubond Long Range which expand as slow as 1300fps, great stuff.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    https://68forums.com/ is the place for all things 6.8 SPC.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I recently set up a 7.5” 300BO pistol for home defense. I discovered that some factory ammo really sucks. Magtech 123gr FMJ shot maybe 10moa at best, pretty much in a shotgun pattern. Magtech 115gr OTM was better, about 2-4moa.

My choice is the expensive Barnes 110gr Tac-TX, which shoots 1-2moa from my little gun.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My choice is the expensive Barnes 110gr Tac-TX, which shoots 1-2moa from my little gun.
    Yeah, that's my choice too.

Just as an aside to everyone posting, the SAAMI abbreviated name is "300 BLK" not "300 BO". https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

For 6.8 mm, the best defensive loads are likely the Speer Gold Dot/Federal Fusion and Hornady.

For 300 BLK, the clear winner for defensive use is the supersonic TTSX load, followed by GMX.

Except for very niche and rare purposes, subsonic has no place for defensive use.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    For 300 BLK, the clear winner for defensive use is the supersonic TTSX load, followed by GMX.
    This, right?

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

The Barnes TAC-TX is a military/law enforcement variant of the hunting oriented Tipped Triple-Shock X bullet.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91391

The Federal Fusions are a fantastic 6.8 option.

User Tag List