Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-tech coated cast bullets in a carbine?

Hi-tech coated cast bullets in a carbine?

I am going to work up a load for my .357 mag carbine using 158 gr Hi-Tech coated cast bullets. I have only loaded Hi-tech coated bullets for handguns. Anyone know how they might hold up at carbine velocities?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I am going to work up a load for my .357 mag carbine using 158 gr Hi-Tech coated cast bullets. I have only loaded Hi-tech coated bullets for handguns. Anyone know how they might hold up at carbine velocities?
    I have shot just under 1K of Missouri Bullet Co's 158 grain coated SWC bullets through my 1894c and they've done great.

I would estimate the velocity around 1650ish. One of the things I should do with my stimulus money is replace my chronograph with one that doesn't have a 10mm hole in it...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I have shot just under 1K of Missouri Bullet Co's 158 grain coated SWC bullets through my 1894c and they've done great.

I would estimate the velocity around 1650ish. One of the things I should do with my stimulus money is replace my chronograph with one that doesn't have a 10mm hole in it...
    I had one with a 10mm hole and another with a .429 hole ......

Thanks! I don't think I want to go much more than 1650 anyway. Kinda looking first for a round that might work nicely in my M66 and my newly acquired Marlin 1894cs. Yep I found a pre-owned one Lester! There are pix in the carbine section. Got rid of the Rossi M92. Just wasn't for me.

What powder are you using?

I saw your new carbine and keep meaning to post pix of my own so we can both coo over them, but I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger.

That's a nice rifle you got. I've bonded with mine since I bought it in June, and it's turned into my general purpose walking around the woods gun.

I had a bunch of Blue Dot left over from my 10mm days, so I was loading that bullet over 10.2 grains. It was a decent load, but a bit dirty. I used up all the Blue Dot, and now I've moved on to Longshot, also left over from my 10mm days. It's not an optimal .357 powder, but I have a bunch of it so I'm going to use it up.

One of these days I'll put up a large supply of 2400, although the way things are going that might be a while.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I saw your new carbine and keep meaning to post pix of my own so we can both coo over them, but I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger.

That's a nice rifle you got. I've bonded with mine since I bought it in June, and it's turned into my general purpose walking around the woods gun.

I had a bunch of Blue Dot left over from my 10mm days, so I was loading that bullet over 10.2 grains. It was a decent load, but a bit dirty. I used up all the Blue Dot, and now I've moved on to Longshot, also left over from my 10mm days. It's not an optimal .357 powder, but I have a bunch of it so I'm going to use it up.

One of these days I'll put up a large supply of 2400, although the way things are going that might be a while.
    I do love mine so far. Itching to shoot it. I do have some 125gr plated I might load up and shoot this weekend. I'm waiting for the 158gr cast & coated to show up. I've got 2400, H110 and a few others that should work just fine for the 158's. Once I get those dialed in I will try to duplicate the Hornady Custom 158 gr XTP load.

I just purchased 4 lbs of 2400 last week. I use it for my 30 carbine. Probably none to be found now. Seller was out of a lot of powder and he said it's going to be a long dry spell. I had to switch my 5.56 powder and barely got my order in before that was gone also. I bought 20 lbs of powder.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-29-2020 at 07:24 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I just purchased 4 lbs of 2400 last week. I use it for my 30 carbine. Probably none to be found now. Seller was out of a lot of powder and he said it's going to be a long dry spell. I had to switch my 5.56 powder and barely got my order in before that was gone also. I bought 20 lbs of powder.
    There is still some out there, but my wife and I are being extremely strategic with our spending right now. It's hard for me to justify shipping and hazmat fees for 9lbs of 2400* when I've got... let's just say a sub substantial amount of other powders that while not optimal for .357, will work just fine.

* I always buy a one pound can and an 8lb jug when buying powder in bulk. Once the one pounder is empty, I refill it carefully from the jug.

Site Supporter
    I don't know your experience with reloading for and shooting pistol bullet lever rifles but will share mine. With .357 and .44 Mag Marlin and Henry rifles using cast bullets, I found that I was fortunate if I obtained 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards. 1.5 inch 50 yard groups often became 6 inch 100 yard groups. One reason for this occurrence was the bullet's dropping below sound barrier velocity at 100 yards, and the air disturbance disrupted bullet flight sufficiently to enlarge groups. Another is that lever actions vary widely from one to another in accuracy but can be tweaked. I admit that I failed at tweaking. I suggest that you develop an accuracy load for your rifle and then use it in the revolver. Also I urge you to discuss your needs with the bullet vendor. This is essential since you wish to use the same bullet in both a rifle and revolver. At the risk of offending you, I must point out that lever actions require blunt point bullets to avoid one setting another off in the mag tube. Some round nose lead .38 revolver bullets have a very round profile. In case someone jumps up and tells you that a .357 Mag rifle does not have sufficient recoil for one round to set off the one in front in the mag tube, you might count his fingers.

1650 fps is a most desirable velocity but setting your goal at 1550 will keep you from pulling out your hair. Remember that you are seeking accuracy and absence of leading. Faster burning powders(compared to 2400)like the respected Unique may contribute to leading if you use them to achieve 1650 fps. I do not imply that Unique or others won't suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I don't know your experience with reloading for and shooting pistol bullet lever rifles but will share mine. With .357 and .44 Mag Marlin and Henry rifles using cast bullets, I found that I was fortunate if I obtained 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards. 1.5 inch 50 yard groups often became 6 inch 100 yard groups. One reason for this occurrence was the bullet's dropping below sound barrier velocity at 100 yards, and the air disturbance disrupted bullet flight sufficiently to enlarge groups. Another is that lever actions vary widely from one to another in accuracy but can be tweaked. I admit that I failed at tweaking. I suggest that you develop an accuracy load for your rifle and then use it in the revolver. Also I urge you to discuss your needs with the bullet vendor. This is essential since you wish to use the same bullet in both a rifle and revolver. At the risk of offending you, I must point out that lever actions require blunt point bullets to avoid one setting another off in the mag tube. Some round nose lead .38 revolver bullets have a very round profile. In case someone jumps up and tells you that a .357 Mag rifle does not have sufficient recoil for one round to set off the one in front in the mag tube, you might count his fingers.

1650 fps is a most desirable velocity but setting your goal at 1550 will keep you from pulling out your hair. Remember that you are seeking accuracy and absence of leading. Faster burning powders(compared to 2400)like the respected Unique may contribute to leading if you use them to achieve 1650 fps. I do not imply that Unique or others won't suffice.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. To answer your question, my dad taught me to load my own ammo when I was 10 years old. I am now 62 so I have handloaded many calibers for many firearms for for many years. However I don't know it all and I appreciate any advice offered. Like they say, you learn something new every day.

I took my Marlin .357 out to the range and fired some .38 special hand loads through it and it functioned well. A little "sticky" feeding at times. I used copper plated 125 gr RNFP and 158 gr Hi-tech coated SWC. Once I got back home I loaded some of the 158gr SWC in some Starline .357 brass to 1.60 COAL and it seemed to feed smoothly.

The groups I shot off the bags at 50 yards were pretty Ho-Hum so I will need to take some time with load development. Sounds like fun to me!! I think I will first work with the 158 SWC coated and some 158 gr XTP's I have on order. I have quite a few different powders to try so I think I might find something that works well.

I think I will mount a scope on it during the load development stage then take it off afterwards and install the Williams FP sight. It might be a couple of weeks until it arrives anyway. I can't imagine doing load development with the stock Semi-Buckhorn sights!

User Tag List