Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone lose job with this pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    As someone in the Security field...I concur.

Adjacent to that is Governance, Risk, and Compliance because tech geeks aren't good at running services and following the rules. While I wouldn't call that a "hot" area, it is increasingly important as a way to better utilize the scarce security resources and to keep those cats properly herded...

Chris
    Bingo.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    As someone in the Security field...I concur.

Adjacent to that is Governance, Risk, and Compliance because tech geeks aren't good at running services and following the rules. While I wouldn't call that a "hot" area, it is increasingly important as a way to better utilize the scarce security resources and to keep those cats properly herded...

Chris
    Although I'm currently well employed, I've been searching the job market pretty heavily lately. Probably 75 percent of the tech jobs I see have at least one of the words in your email. I'm a pretty techy person, and even though I set up a web server and searchable web pages for my organization way back around 1995, my programming skills peaked with FORTRAN 77 and BASIC. Computer security to me is keeping punch cards under lock and key.

I feel very fortunate. My wife is a highschool teacher and thus a contract employee. She gets paid whether or not school is in session. They've gone to on-line learning for the time being, but even if they weren't it wouldn't be a financial hit. My current job isn't critical to our financial security and only serves as a pad for my pension. So, if we closed up shop completely we wouldn't be in dire straights. Our main objective right now is to try and stay healthy and ride it out. Our youngest son is in the Navy, but a lot of his friends from highschool are in pay check to paycheck type jobs and they have no idea what they're going to do. So many people are in panic mode right now and I feel for them. By the time this is over, it may rival the Great Depression.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Wife lost her job, with no return in sight. Rough time to be in restaurant management.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Girlfriend's at 50% time and not getting nearly as much freelance work as she used to. My paycheck isn't great but at least is guaranteed. I could shoulder our bills if need be but it would be terribly uncomfortable.

Wife and I are obviously not working as firearms instructors. As Independent Contractors we don’t get any sort of unemployment and are not on anyone’s talking points for any sort of relief. I am working out of town doing security stuff as much as possible and the wife got a job at the local grocery store. We have no choice but to work and both jobs have a very high risk of contracting the WuHan Virus. Basically, we have had to become immersed in social contact because we will be ruined economically otherwise.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Wife and I are obviously not working as firearms instructors. As Independent Contractors we don’t get any sort of unemployment and are not on anyone’s talking points for any sort of relief. I am working out of town doing security stuff as much as possible and the wife got a job at the local grocery store. We have no choice but to work and both jobs have a very high risk of contracting the WuHan Virus. Basically, we have had to become immersed in social contact because we will be ruined economically otherwise.
    1099s can get unemployment (and interest-free small business loans) for the coronavirus - the details should be finalized tomorrow or saturday...

Can gig workers get benefits?
    Yes, the legislation extends unemployment checks to gig workers, like Uber and Lyft drivers, who are generally independent contractors rather than the salaried employees typically eligible for unemployment.

The Labor Department should publish guidance shortly about the specific mechanics relative to gig workers, such as the documentation needed to prove wages and work history, experts said. Tax forms such as 1099s and some sort of payment stub should suffice, they said.
    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/26/...-benefits.html
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 03-26-2020 at 08:50 PM.

We got a letter from HR yesterday stating our company was shutting down because we were a non essential and everyone was being furloughed until April 16, 2020. I started getting emails from competitors stating they were still open. I then tapped into my investigator skills and went to the state of Oklahoma and pulled their list of companies that were essential businesses. I also pulled the same for California, Texas, and Illinois. I noticed that each state had pretty much the identical document for essential businesses. I found that these competitors were staying open due to supplying materials for commercial and residential construction projects. I went in this morning, presented my case. CEO contacted our attorneys. Two hours later, we we back in business and I saved 400 jobs.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Got the email last Thursday afternoon. My company gets a 1099 from my "employer" so I filed for unemployment Friday morning. Got the paperwork for both today. I'm going to look into the SBA loans even though I doubt that a one man S Corp will qualify. Hate debt and hate to do it, but I don't think anyone in the Oklahoma state government has any clue just how bad the oil patch is going to be hurting or how long it's going to take to resume some normalcy. I hope they enjoy that gross production tax increase they passed a year ago. At $22 oil I can't fathom a rig getting stood up at all in any state and with storage quantities what they are it'll probably be a year before I should even be looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Two hours later, we we back in business and I saved 400 jobs.
    I’ll say it: you’re a goddam rock star. Good hustle, right there.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List