Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it me or gun prices are way up now?

Lightbulb Is it me or gun prices are way up now?

Following the email link, I see M&P 2.0 9mm is over $500 now at Buds.
    It used to be under $400.
    Looks like demands increased the price.
    With gun stores closing with shut downs, it may go up even more.

Stupid virus.

It depends on what you want. Black rifles and plastic pistols are above average and climbing due to COVID hysteria. Blue-and-walnut custom rifles are below average and dropping because Boomers are dying.

A very specific Biesen-inspired .338 WM with spectacular wood that I absolutely do not need may be coming home with me when this is all over.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It depends on what you want. Black rifles and plastic pistols are above average and climbing due to COVID hysteria. Blue-and-walnut custom rifles are below average and dropping because Boomers are dying.

A very specific Biesen-inspired .338 WM with spectacular wood that I absolutely do not need may be coming home with me when this is all over.

Okie John
    That's an interesting observation. I've been told a similar phenomena is happening with antiques and certain artwork. Maybe I can pick up a drilling that doesn't cost an arm and a leg one of these days!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    That's an interesting observation. I've been told a similar phenomena is happening with antiques and certain artwork. Maybe I can pick up a drilling that doesn't cost an arm and a leg one of these days!
    That would fill all sorts of happy spots for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Following the email link, I see M&P 2.0 9mm is over $500 now at Buds.
    It used to be under $400.
    Looks like demands increased the price.
    With gun stores closing with shut downs, it may go up even more.

Stupid virus.
    This is why every gun forum has “buy / prepare now” threads and PF members try to keep thousands of rounds on hand so they can keep shooting if Ammo is unavailable for 6 minutes this to a year.

This has happened regularly every few years for the past decade. 2008 election, Sandy hook aftermath in 2012/2013, 2016 elections.

In this case we are looking at 3-6 months for the system to reset and restock which will put us in the 2020 election season which will bring its own panic buying. The reset may take longer than normal as ammo production and shipment overseas is also affected.

If Trump wins in November things will settle again in 2021. If he loses all bets are off.

During times of overwhelming demand, like NOW, during COVID-19-panic-buying, there is no incentive for retailers to sell at the usually-customary deep discounts. The actual suggested retail prices of many, if not most popular firearms are quite high, and are typically deeply discounted by most large gun dealers.

When I went to Cabela’s, in League City, Texas, to see what ammo* was still available, I passed by the pistol display cases, and the only modern, polymer-frame semi-auto available was a long-slide Glock, chambered for, IIRC, .40 S&W. Cabelas is, obviously, a huge seller of firearms. (ETA: It is quite possible that there were pistols in stock, in the back room, but that demand was so strong that employees had simply stopped bothering to fill the display cases.)

*We are not out of ammo, but our at-home stock is aging, and spring-time is when I customarily refresh the ammo supply, even though we no longer get money back from the IRS, due to the changing finances of being retired.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I'm fairly comfortable with my stock of 5.56 and 9mm and could continue shooting at my regular pace for the foreseeable future to ride this storm out. Times like these though are when a M&P 15-22 and a pick-your-poison .22lr pistol really shine.

.22LR is cheap, and can be stacked deep during plentiful times and doesn't take up a lot of room. If you find yourself needing to buy .22LR during the panic, it's still cheap enough to not really sting the wallet as bad as panic pricing on the larger calibers.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm thinking a nice, fuddy shotgun or two and maybe some useless revolvers will be on my list in six to 18 months.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I think panic-buy gear will become panic-sell gear in about three months, with all bets off between September and the election. More decorative stuff will probably see a serious dip once the gun shops open again, then resume its previous slow decline from there.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Normally I shoot several thousand round a year for fun/training. It's helpful to be able to shoot pistols and .22s on my property, and have access to a "range" a mile down the road in the National Forest.

Now, we're in restriction mode. I keep enough stuff on hand that I literally have enough to last a lifetime if all we do is zero weapons prior to hunting, kill food and repel boarders.

Long-term, I'm trying to decide how much is reasonable to expend in a year for training during a period of uncertainty. I'm somewhat reluctant to attract attention with lots of shooting echoing up and down the hills if things get a little more Western right now.

So we'll rely on lots of dry practice, with perhaps a little sub-sonic .22. Light .38 level loads out of the Marlin 1894c are about as loud as a .22 as well.

Something I've procrastinated on in the past is supressors. If some possible in some future "normal" I'll probably prioritize getting some guns threaded, or buying stuff with threaded barrels, and .308 and .22 suppressors.

I was saving $$ for a 640 PRO. That was a "nice to have" and not a need, particularly now that we aren't going anywhere.

I also wanted a Blackhawk, but that was just for fun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List