Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is it me or gun prices are way up now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I guess one question I'd like to know the answer to is "are gun companies shoving guns out the door as quick as they can, to meet demand?"

Because that's not a recipe for a good gun.

Not that I'm buying anything right now, and wouldn't buy brand new even if I was, but I'm curious what to look out for on the used market in a few months.
    One of the 3 rifles I purchased new recently was a POS. Same with the last new revolver. The last used pistol I purchased (2006 mfg.) was solid. Same with the last used revolver (68 mfg.). With the number of older used firearms out there I don't see a reason to take a chance on anything new. The high volume US manufacturers seem to be cranking out some real dogs. Even Sig quality seems to be way down. Had a new Sig and sold it.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-03-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I've just moved, and thought to swing by a local gunshop just to have a look-see. It was amazing how bare the shop was of its inventory. Kudos to the super-friendly sales guy behind the counter, who seemed eager to sell me a PCC or an AR.

I like to buy Glock mags or ammo as a form of support if I'm just doing a walk-through, but Glock mags were down to a single G48 mag, and a compact .45GAP mag. No 9mm at all on the shelf, so I thought about getting couple boxes of 10mm ball, but it was $.80/round. Whew. I'm glad that I have what I need.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

No change in firearm prices, ammunition prices, or availability over here. I suppose that's the silver lining in living in a country with severe restrictions on firearm ownership...

Toilet paper disappeared from the stores just like over there, though. It's not like panic buying isn't in full swing with less restricted products. I wonder how many new firearm owners show up in the next six months to two years, the time it takes to become one over here? Nah, most probably don't have the long term interest to follow through all the way with the complicated process.

Site Supporter
    I have been window shopping various brands for the past few days. I find that Glock 19, 26 and 48x are out of stock or more expensive right now. The 43 and 48 are still available and prices seem reasonable.

Sig 365 and XL seems to be available every where I have looked. The manual safety models are spotty.

I wonder if this is due to Glocks products being more known in the general public?

Assuming that this shortage is from non gun people buying up what they recognize.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’d say things are returning to normal from what I’m seeing. Slowly but they are.

Buddies shop got hit pretty hard, sales are still up, but a lot of stuff is unavailable right now, Glocks, inexpensive ( under 800 dealer cost) ARs, most AKs, 9mm , .223, 5.56, ammo .308.....gone. He has had orders out on about 110k worth of replacement inventory... Normally stuff shows up in two to three days from order. Right now it is taking three to four weeks... Notably he still has .38, .357,.40 and .45 acp available in some amount. Along with plenty of 6.5 Grendel and creedmore. No one is really panic buying that.

He also has a few Glocks left in stock 19s, 45s 19m, MOS 17.... This is probably due to North Carolina requiring a NC carry permit or a pistol purchase permit in order to buy a handgun. Puts a damper on panicked pistol sales here...

My LGS reports business has been good and has instituted a policy of calling once you arrive as the store limit is five people to stay in accordance with Governor Ivey's social distancing executive order. Usually the shop is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays, but the shop has been open the last three Wednesdays due to demand. Unlike previous panics, locally this one has focused on shotguns, leaving service pistols, including Glock 19X models, and more expensive AR rifles on the shelves. Pump and auto shotguns have been hit the hardest. Small carry pistols like the Ruger LCP are also going quickly. The local focus has been inexpensive and capable of HD and/or hunting. $300 seems to be the price ceiling. Ammo has been severely depleted but not too the level of Sandy Hook. Unlike Sandy Hook, 12-gauge has been very much in demand while 5.56 demand is higher than normal but not as high as 12-gauge demand. Orders from distributors are taking two weeks to be received versus the usual two or three days.

Like all panics, there are values to be found, especially if you are looking for something that others do not want. As I need nothing but like rimfire pistols, I found this online, decided to purchase it, and will pick it up in a few weeks when I also grab my .22 LR LCP II. I have wanted a shooter-grade fixed-sight six-inch Colt Woodsman/Huntsman pistol for a while as I really enjoy shooting the Ruger RST-6, and this one fit the bill. I find shooting older sporting weapons to be enjoyable and relaxing. I had a 2nd Generation Woodsman that had been refinished by Robar in NP3 and Roguard, but the sharp rear sight was not friendly for field carry. I sent that one down the road a while back and have been looking for a fixed-sight shooter on and off since then.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

User Tag List