Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Rifleman Looks at the M&P

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The original M&P, in my opinion, was a good combination of aggressive high grip and protective beavertail. Also I found the beavertail a solid reference during presentation.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    To quote myself:

The 2.0 seems to be an improvement otherwise. Nice grip texture that is useful without tearing stuff to pieces. Trigger has a more noticeable reset for whatever that's worth. The slide release is more positive and not likely to "slam charge" during an aggressive reload.

That's one of the things I occasionally did on the 1.0 guns is cause the slide to jump when seating a mag. This would result in a nose dive failure to feed especially when downloaded to 10 rounds for competition.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post

I still have a soft spot for the M&P though. A first generation gun bought cheaply and fitted with an Apex barrel and trigger would offer a lot of value.
    That's what I did

It routinely produces groups like this one or better at 25 yards

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator
    My current M&Ps are
    - 1.0 M&P 40 4.25" Detroit PD trade-in (was new in box and unissued) from about 2011. It's my woods and camping gun with FMJ .40 for four-legged threats primarily
    - 2.0 M&P 9 Pro Series 5" with fiberoptic sights
    - 2.0 M&P 45 4.6"
    - 2.0 M&P 9 4" Compact
    - 2.0 M&P 9 Shield

I really enjoy the series a lot. Not perfect or the best for everyone but great for me. Most guns have too slippery a texture for me, and my hand shape locks to the 2.0 very very well. I didn't choose to get hooked on the 2.0 guns out of any sort of desire to, I just picked up the .45 on a great sale and was astonished how well I shot with it.

I don't actually love the proportions of the 5" 9mm Pro Series and I'm considering getting a 4.25" 9mm as well, but part of me thinks it is the height of ridiculous to spend another $400 ($500 with sights) for the same gun with .75" less barrel.

If I had to choose a favorite out of all 5 it would easily be the 4.6" .45, which is not only the best M&P I own but one of the best firearms I own period. Unfailingly reliable, just as screaming accurate as my old Sig Sauer P220R was, soft and easy recoil impulse with 230-grain standard pressure HSTs, and just a good feeling, solid pistol.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That's what I did

It routinely produces groups like this one or better at 25 yards

Was that semi drop in or the old gunsmith fit barrel?

Site Supporter
    That is with a gunsmith fit barrel.

I never really thought about it before but why are the 45 caliber M&Ps so much more accurate than the 9mm? I haven’t put a lot of rounds through 45 M&Ps but they have all been easy to punch little groups with. I know that’s a really subjective thing to say but none of the 9’s I’ve shot have shot as accurately for me.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    My current M&Ps are
    - 1.0 M&P 40 4.25" Detroit PD trade-in (was new in box and unissued) from about 2011. It's my woods and camping gun with FMJ .40 for four-legged threats primarily
    - 2.0 M&P 9 Pro Series 5" with fiberoptic sights
    - 2.0 M&P 45 4.6"
    - 2.0 M&P 9 4" Compact
    - 2.0 M&P 9 Shield

I really enjoy the series a lot. Not perfect or the best for everyone but great for me. Most guns have too slippery a texture for me, and my hand shape locks to the 2.0 very very well. I didn't choose to get hooked on the 2.0 guns out of any sort of desire to, I just picked up the .45 on a great sale and was astonished how well I shot with it.

I don't actually love the proportions of the 5" 9mm Pro Series and I'm considering getting a 4.25" 9mm as well, but part of me thinks it is the height of ridiculous to spend another $400 ($500 with sights) for the same gun with .75" less barrel.

If I had to choose a favorite out of all 5 it would easily be the 4.6" .45, which is not only the best M&P I own but one of the best firearms I own period. Unfailingly reliable, just as screaming accurate as my old Sig Sauer P220R was, soft and easy recoil impulse with 230-grain standard pressure HSTs, and just a good feeling, solid pistol.
    That mp2.0 45 is a gem! I bought one a few years back just to deplete my 45 Ammo and was pleasantly surprised by it. It is incredibly accurate and aside from lube I don’t think I have tore it down and cleaned it to date give or take 7k rds. It’s usually the gun I loan out to people who want to try a 45. Mags are cheap, police surplus mags can be had for under $10ea. To think you can buy the full size and compact versions for the price of one hk45.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I never really thought about it before but why are the 45 caliber M&Ps so much more accurate than the 9mm? I haven’t put a lot of rounds through 45 M&Ps but they have all been easy to punch little groups with. I know that’s a really subjective thing to say but none of the 9’s I’ve shot have shot as accurately for me.
    My 2.0 4" 9mm is quite accurate, but it's cleanly beat in that department by the 4.6" .45, that becomes evident over time.

My G19 Gen 5 may supplant my 4" Compact if it runs well for me, I've heard and read lots of good things about their accuracy.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I've found that of many guns offered in 9mm, they have .45 ACP counterparts that have a noticeable accuracy advantage. Glocks in .45 are also extremely accurate. I've shot a Gen 3 model 21 that could hold a legit 1.5 inch group at 25 yards and I've heard the G30 is just silly accurate. and even though the Sig p226 is no slouch in the accuracy department, the Sig p220 is an extremely accurate pistol.

I wonder if there's something to that or if it's just a phenomenon for a few manufacturers.

Thanks for sharing the video. I have always liked the M&P Line. Still EDCing my first gen Shield 9 that I picked up shirtly after they came out. I had a 1.0 full size 40SW that I really liked minus the slick grip texture and not so great trigger. I traded it off and really did not want another M&P until the M2,0 came out. My wife uses the 5 inch FDE 9mm for HD and I have a 9mm compact as well. As for striker guns I prefer M&P, but I am just a DA/SA guy and the CZ P07 and P09 are my go to.

User Tag List