Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Latest Victim of COVID-19 Is the Second Amendment

The Latest Victim of COVID-19 Is the Second Amendment

The latest victim of the COVID-19 pandemic is not a health care worker, a first responder, or a cruise line traveler. The purveyor is not an invisible microbe. The perpetrators of the latest assault on men and women in cities and states across the country are left-wing governors and mayors who have decided the pandemic provides a convenient excuse to deny law abiding citizens the freedom to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

https://townhall.com/columnists/bobb...dment-n2565667

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    The latest victim of the COVID-19 pandemic is not a health care worker, a first responder, or a cruise line traveler. The purveyor is not an invisible microbe. The perpetrators of the latest assault on men and women in cities and states across the country are left-wing governors and mayors who have decided the pandemic provides a convenient excuse to deny law abiding citizens the freedom to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

Instead of just copy/pasting the first paragraph from an article and then drive by dropping a link, try offering some commentary of your own.

The difference is extremely important for the effective protection of Second Amendment rights. While federal interference in the FBI’s execution of background checks is possible, thanks to limitations placed in the statute when passed by Congress in 1993 this is far less likely to occur than a governor suspending the required background checks by executive order, or a general assembly refusing to fund the procedures. Given the continued spread of COVID-19, it is not a matter of if, but when further such restrictive measures are mandated.
    Governors are just politicizing the emergency orders. If they shut down state offices lots of other stuff gets put on hold also.

I don't think there's a difference in states that use NICS exclusively and states that don't. I live in a state that uses NICS and their own database to issue proceeds for background checks. If a POC state wants to slow down or stop checks they're going to do it. It's as simple as shutting down state offices. Here, if the state can no longer issue proceeds because of an emergency they just don't issue proceeds. Actually there isn't any difference even with states that aren't POC. The fed (FBI) can also stop issuing proceeds. By law the FBI has to deliver a reply within 3 working days but there a catch.

However, please note that when state offices are closed it does not constitute a “business day” for purposes of calculating the “three business days” period before an FFL may transfer a firearm to a non-licensee as mandated by the Brady Act.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...own-threatened

So no matter who does the check it all goes back to the states and their ability to provide NICS with timely information. It should come as no surprise to anyone because the FBI doesn't have every record available to state LE agencies and courts.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Instead of just copy/pasting the first paragraph from an article and then drive by dropping a link, try offering some commentary of your own.
    Especially since 1) real people are dying and 2) we already have a thread on the Corona virus and the 2A.

I have a gun on law away I can pick up because the elderly owner of the shop wisely shut down as he is high risk. Even if he didn’t, the places that are still open have bare shelves and are full of non gun people who are trying to hoard guns now that TP and eggs are unobtainable.

As for the first time “panic buyers” while my rational mind says this is great opportunity to change minds and recruit new 2A supporters, the other part of me says - hey, asshole, you should have thought of this before hand. You are fool and Odin trims fools from the tree of life.

Site Supporter
    I think Odin will keep an eye out for you. Sorry.

This all comes back to whether there will ever be Federal or SCOTUS relief from state or local bans, ordinances, etc. My guess in not in my future. I'm supposed to die so young people can have a good economy to pay for their parties.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Complaining about it, without actually contributing anything of substance after scolding the OP for that supposed 'offense', makes it all better.

The link provided is a good conversation starter.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Especially since 1) real people are dying and 2) we already have a thread on the Corona virus and the 2A.

I have a gun on law away I can pick up because the elderly owner of the shop wisely shut down as he is high risk. Even if he didn’t, the places that are still open have bare shelves and are full of non gun people who are trying to hoard guns now that TP and eggs are unobtainable.

As for the first time “panic buyers” while my rational mind says this is great opportunity to change minds and recruit new 2A supporters, the other part of me says - hey, asshole, you should have thought of this before hand. You are fool and Odin trims fools from the tree of life.
    Like you, I often wonder how folks get 'caught behind the curve' these days given the number of recent (within the last ten years) events that might create/produce unrest or upheaval. From what I intuit, it seems that many of the 'unprepared' are those who either a.) believed that they'd never need a firearm, or, b.) or are anti-2Aers that were opposed to the possession of firearms in general and for everyone else. Now, operating under fear of some sort of pending unrest—these two groups' behavior confirms the phrase most often attributed to Ernie Pyle that, ''there are no atheists in fox holes".

I am not sure that what is happening constitutes a threat to the 2A. What is happening now is, hopefully, merely a temporary cessation of the old 'normal' for the purpose of protecting our most vulnerable. In the end, I hope that we can be better prepared for this type of occurrence again, because it is going to happen again no telling how soon.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I think Odin will keep an eye out for you. Sorry.

This all comes back to whether there will ever be Federal or SCOTUS relief from state or local bans, ordinances, etc. My guess in not in my future. I'm supposed to die so young people can have a good economy to pay for their parties.
    Don't go off and die on us yet, Glenn.

You are more valuable (at least to us here) than the 'partiers' who've never had senses enough to be taken leave of.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Believe it or not, I'm hopeful that we will make some headway on rolling back state-level background checks that take too long. States like Washington are so far behind in processing that it only stands to reason quality plaintiffs will make headway in repealing their onerous restrictions of forcing amendments that lineup with NICS processing times.

It's going to take a bit to get these cases up to Circuit Court or SCOTUS level, but we will see.

That said, great headway has already been made in suing states that designated firearms and ammunition sales as "non-essential" businesses during their orders. See: Pennsylvania where it took less than four days for the governor to amend his orders and designate firearms and ammo sales as essential.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

As Rob says, this attempt by state governments to try to use the emergency to shut down gun sales will very likely have the same effect as the Clinton AWB, and actually increase the number of gun rights supporters.

Most people don't notice restrictions & regulations until it affects them personally.

A lot of these panic era gun buyers honestly bought into the stated intentions of the various gun laws- to keep mail order machine guns out of the hands of criminals and mass shooters. That those same laws mean they can't instantly buy a gun right now when they need a gun RIGHT NOW! never occurred to them. Because they're good people, not one those evil people.

Some of those people will learn. Often times, when something affects someone personally, they take it personally.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List