Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB - covered mag releases?

IWB - covered mag releases?

I think I want an Inside the Waist Band (IWB) holster, kydex or leather, with a covered mag release. I had an exposed-mag-release Kahr self-eject a magazine once, and that's the last time I want that to happen.

That's part of the reason I bought the H&K P30S - trigger guard paddles for mag release.

I have no reason to doubt Tony at JM Custom Kydex when he says they don't cover their mag releases, partially because the holster can flex and activate the release, but that seems a little theoretical to me while my memory of the Kahr magazine on the floor is more of a reality.

Who makes a good IWB holster that covers the H&K trigger guard mag release?

I'm a lefty. The only time I've had a problem with a mag releasing at the wrong moment was with my Walther PPS M2. Not sure what happened but exactly twice I discovered my mag unseated from the frame. Which was pretty unsettling. I sold it shortly thereafter.

I honestly thought an advantage to an HK paddle release was the possible reduction in risk of unseating as compared to a push button? But I am no expert.

I would trust Tony to know a thing or two about holsters.

I think this is more of a pistol issue than a holster issue. The Kahr magazine release is notoriously "soft" and easy to engage accidentally, I used to do so when I took an overly firm grip on my PM9. I've never experienced that issue with any other pistol, in any holster (IWB, OWB, AIWB, fanny pack, you name it!)

If you're still looking to carry the Kahr, reach out to their CS. They provided me a new, stiffer magazine release catch spring that addressed the issue for me.

Here is Tony's holster not covering the mag release on a USPc9.

Never had a issue, but I respect your concerns.

I'm looking down at the Dark Star AIWB for my G19.3 with an OEM extended mag release. It is not covered, also never been an issue. My abs would have to be a serious 6-pack to push that button.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I think I want an Inside the Waist Band (IWB) holster, kydex or leather, with a covered mag release. I had an exposed-mag-release Kahr self-eject a magazine once, and that's the last time I want that to happen.

That's part of the reason I bought the H&K P30S - trigger guard paddles for mag release.

I have no reason to doubt Tony at JM Custom Kydex when he says they don't cover their mag releases, partially because the holster can flex and activate the release, but that seems a little theoretical to me while my memory of the Kahr magazine on the floor is more of a reality.

Who makes a good IWB holster that covers the H&K trigger guard mag release?
    Our very own CCC. https://www.customcarryconcepts.com/

I have Uno's for my P250s:

Name:  IMG_20200326_102105498.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  35.0 KB

And a VersaClip for my CW9:

Name:  IMG_20200326_102033364.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  34.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200326_102044662.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  33.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I think this is more of a pistol issue than a holster issue. The Kahr magazine release is notoriously "soft" and easy to engage accidentally, I used to do so when I took an overly firm grip on my PM9. I've never experienced that issue with any other pistol, in any holster (IWB, OWB, AIWB, fanny pack, you name it!)

If you're still looking to carry the Kahr, reach out to their CS. They provided me a new, stiffer magazine release catch spring that addressed the issue for me.
    I agree on the polymer frame Kahr. I replaced the factory one with a modified Glock spring per one of JodyH's posts here. While it is stiffer than factory, the covered mag release gives me a lot of peace of mind. I have JM IWB3's in both RH and LH for my K9 and have no issues or concerns. The CW9 VersaClip is used for LH carry when it is used.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

Could be. I sold the Kahr immediately, so it's not longer an issue. The memory stays fresh, though

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Our very own CCC. https://www.customcarryconcepts.com/

I have Uno's for my P250s:
    I emailed them.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 03-26-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Here is Tony's holster not covering the mag release on a USPc9.

Never had a issue, but I respect your concerns.

I'm looking down at the Dark Star AIWB for my G19.3 with an OEM extended mag release. It is not covered, also never been an issue. My abs would have to be a serious 6-pack to push that button.
    That’s not an apples to apples comparison thought. Your USP has a paddle release that requires pressure in a different direction than a more common button release.

OP, I wear a JMCK IWB daily and have never had an issue. And I run Glocks with the most extended mag catch they offer. In fact I’ve never had any IWB holster cause the release of a mag. I understand your concerns given what happened but I suspect it’s weapon specific as psalms144 mentioned.

I also like using the admin mag change technique on the range between drills. That is, leaving the gun holstered and changing mags. A covered button would not permit that.

Site Supporter
    I wear an IWB#3 with my G26. Right hand, no issues. I bought a left hand for “just in case” and to do some left hand training work. It came slightly mis-cut, which Tony immediately took care of by replacing the holster body, but one of the issues I had was that the mis-cut holster did press in and slightly release the magazine. It wouldn’t reliably feed from a partially released position, of course. Since my G26 is a gen 3, the mag release is not reversible even if I wanted to do that, so I can see Tony’s concern with having the holster having any potential to press on the magazine release.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    That’s not an apples to apples comparison thought. Your USP has a paddle release that requires pressure in a different direction than a more common button release.

OP, I wear a JMCK IWB daily and have never had an issue. And I run Glocks with the most extended mag catch they offer. In fact I’ve never had any IWB holster cause the release of a mag. I understand your concerns given what happened but I suspect it’s weapon specific as psalms144 mentioned.

I also like using the admin mag change technique on the range between drills. That is, leaving the gun holstered and changing mags. A covered button would not permit that.

I agree with all your points, esp the admin reload.

I guess, I was trying ro make the point, that two well respected holster makers do not cover, the two most common types of mag release, on two of the most well known pistols on the market. (sorry for the run-on sentence)

Again respect the OPs concern. But seems like a non issue, from my inexperienced prospective. YMMV.

Cheers.

User Tag List