Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IWB - covered mag releases?

I dunno why but most of those tiny guns have some of the easiest mags to drop, except when you're shooting. For a normal sized pistol it's not been an issue.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    That’s not an apples to apples comparison thought. Your USP has a paddle release that requires pressure in a different direction than a more common button release.
    Pretty relevant. The H&K P30S has the same paddle releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Pretty relevant. The H&K P30S has the same paddle releases.
    That’s my bad. I missed in your initial post that you’re asking about needing to cover a paddle mag release. But that also changes my answer. I can’t imagine any reason to cover a paddle mag catch because I can’t envision one being accidentally pressed while holstered. That concern is only something that only applies to push button style in my experience. I used to carry my USP9 and USP45C before getting hired at an agency that mandates Glocks.

Who makes a good IWB holster that covers the H&K trigger guard mag release?
    I've carried a VP9 (the real one with the paddles) in a JMCK IWB for 3 1/2 years. I've never had the issue you're concerned about. While the kydex doesn't "cover" the mag release, it's fitted so well around and near to it that accidental activation of the paddle seems all but impossible. With the gun holstered and sitting on my desk, I cannot get a fingernail in there to activate the paddle. Admin mag changes require that I lift the gun about a 1/2 inch in the holster to activate the paddle.

I don't know if Tony's design is the same for the P30 or if it's changed since I bought my VP9 holster. But if it's all still the same, I think you would be happy with the JMCK. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I dunno why but most of those tiny guns have some of the easiest mags to drop, except when you're shooting. For a normal sized pistol it's not been an issue.
    I think it's because the ratio of mag release size to pistol size gets pretty high as the pistol shrinks. Part of the reason I like a larger pistol is they provide more opportunity for me to NOT put my thumbs & fingers in the wrong place. This just a theory and I did not spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacioli View Post
    While the kydex doesn't "cover" the mag release, it's fitted so well around and near to it that accidental activation of the paddle seems all but impossible. With the gun holstered and sitting on my desk, I cannot get a fingernail in there to activate the paddle.
    Good point. Thanks.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacioli View Post
    I've carried a VP9 (the real one with the paddles) in a JMCK IWB for 3 1/2 years. I've never had the issue you're concerned about. While the kydex doesn't "cover" the mag release, it's fitted so well around and near to it that accidental activation of the paddle seems all but impossible. With the gun holstered and sitting on my desk, I cannot get a fingernail in there to activate the paddle. Admin mag changes require that I lift the gun about a 1/2 inch in the holster to activate the paddle.

I don't know if Tony's design is the same for the P30 or if it's changed since I bought my VP9 holster. But if it's all still the same, I think you would be happy with the JMCK. Just my .02.
    The AIWB for my USPc protects the outward-facing paddle, while leaving the belly-facing paddle exposed. The Kydex comes right up to the belly-side paddle, though, so it would have to be on purpose and pretty careful to activate it. I have a properly-fitted HK45c catch with the paddles slimmed-down some. Totally non-standard setup. Had to dress about 0.5mm off the edge of the kydex to be sure it clears the outward-facing paddle with no contact or interference potential. I thought it was perfect. Would be significant clearance to a stock USPc paddle, would not clear an unshaven HK45c paddle. Might add a little more clearance on the belly-facing side, having digested this thread.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I think CCC must be closed. I have experience with JM so I bought one.

I think CCC must be closed. I have experience with JM so I bought one.
    Jaywalker, we did 7 or 8 P30 holsters today (yours may have been of them, not sure when you ordered) and the paddle releases is less exposed than the pic in this thread shows. Plus, the paddle release presses down instead of in and the kydex somewhat protects it just by being "above" it. I think you will be fine with the holster as is but if you shoot me an email with your order number we can talk about your concerns some more and I can send you a pic or 2 of the current design to see if you are going to be ok with it. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

part of the reason I bought the H&K P30S - trigger guard paddles for mag release.
    Name:  20200403_145259.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  15.9 KB

Sorry for rhe low quality picture... it shows how the HK trigger guard is flared out to protect the mag release.

Side note, this is the larger 45c mag release..It does not lay flush, I'm messing around with sanding it smooth.

User Tag List