Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case for a 20" Shotgun, No Side Saddle, Non-Flite Control Buck

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The only semi-auto shotgun I own, or have ever owned, is an old Ted Williams. It's sat in the safe for years and ran just lovely to shoot some clays last year but I did lube it up first. How well do the semis tolerate "break glass in case of fire" type owners and still run well?
    I don’t know about other shotguns, but the 1301 seems Glock 19 invulnerable to lack of care (aka treat it like a lawnmower).

The only semi-auto shotgun I own, or have ever owned, is an old Ted Williams. It's sat in the safe for years and ran just lovely to shoot some clays last year but I did lube it up first. How well do the semis tolerate "break glass in case of fire" type owners and still run well?
    With the proper loads the old model Browning Auto-5 and variants are pretty damn solid.

This. The projectile can't gain energy as it flies, and the only difference is the rate at which the energy is applied at either end. I think "impulse" is the correct term for that, but it's been a long time since physics.

Factor in the fact we aren't rigid non-reactive targets as well. We are a composite of hinges, swivels, and assorted squishy materials that absorb incoming energy. We actively attempt to not fall down. You can take a hell of a punch to the chest without being knocked down, something you're weighted targets probably wouldn't fare well with, for those reasons.
    "Listen! And understand! That Slug is out there. It can't be bargained with! It can't be reasoned with! It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

IIRC I said 'probably' and then explained why I believed that.

I kinda stopped by the house computer to get my laptop close to the modem, I'm setting up the camera for my LASRapp so I can use my CoolFire IR laser.

I'll leave you with this:

"You still don't get it, do you? The Slug will find you....... That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! He'll wade through you, reach down your throat, and pull your fucking heart out!"

(stole that, I'm not that poetic)

My experience with 1301's and M2's is that there both plastic people popper reliable. They're also both able to survive plastic people popper levels of maintenance. Mine get lubed periodically and maybe cleaned every 2-3000 rounds if I get around to it, often longer. I primarily run 28gram (I think that's 1 1/8 oz in old measurements ) birdshot but also a good bit of buck and slug , generally of the low recoil variety.

So were I to be able to purchase a shotgun primarily as a defensive choice it would be a 1301 or an M2.

Because mine are set up primarily for competition work they long guns with longer mag tubes. So should I grab a long gun in the house its going to be my 14" Nova. Which counter-intuitively to some has an extended mag tube on it giving me a 7 round capacity. I like that set up because it is lighter and handier than a gun with barrel to match the tube , and being a gaymer shotguns with mags shorter than their barrels are just "wrong" to me

With a XF Choke Tube and B&P Dynamic Buck it gives me a workable B zone of at least 25m without it throwing slugs at 10.

I have some slugs on hand but don't consider them a logical choice for in house defense against people.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I've yet to see a home invasion not repelled by the application of a shotgun that was fired. Literally every loss was when the home owner failed to fire the shotgun, either getting entangled and losing it, frantically working to remove a trigger lock when discovered, or just not being willing to pull the trigger. I've yet to see anyone need a reload. As such, I think it's pretty easy to overthink the gear requirements.
    Yeah my home 870 is just a standard set up with the 18.5" cylinder bore with rifle sights (I use it deer hunting too). I just put 4 in the tube and if it runs dry I'm dropping it and going to my pistol.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I agree with the others. If my home invasion can’t be fixed with 6+1 I’m probably already proper fucked. Particularly considering that I’m more like,y to have started out with 17+1 of 9mm and the found my way to the shotgun. And particularly considering the added weight and heft of w more inches and another shell. In fact, I keep only a +1 on my 870p because I found it ha diet many years ago than my full-length-mag-tube Winchester.

Sure would be nice if someone would make an 18.5” gas-operated semi auto with rifle sights that you can fit a tube extension to. 6+1 should be possible, no?

This seems promising?
    https://www.remington.com/shotguns/tactical/v3-tactical

I’d almost be willing to sell my two beretta clays guns and replace them with V3 versions just to keep everything in the same family...
    https://www.remington.com/shotguns/a...lack-synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Sure would be nice if someone would make an 18.5” gas-operated semi auto with rifle sights that you can fit a tube extension to. 6+1 should be possible,

1301T

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    1301T
    rifle sights on 18.5"? AFAIK they only have ghost-rings.

Sorry didn't realise you specifically wanted notch and post sights.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With SouthNarc commenting in this thread, I would obviously defer to him, but in my experience malfunctions with pump guns are generally operator error, and malfunctions with semi-auto shotguns are gun problems.
    That mirrors my observations too. I've actually observed a short stroke in person in a real world event. Average road deputy with a bean bag round and it turned out okay because the world was there to dog pile this dude with a bat. Short stroking a pump gun is a real thing.

User Tag List