Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Case for a 20" Shotgun, No Side Saddle, Non-Flite Control Buck

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Ithaca use to make a Model 37 Stakeout model. It had a pistol grip and no stock. The barrel was cut back to the front of the magazine. Because the barrel was short they added the loop on the fore end to prevent the hand from slipping forward.
    I did some googling on that and I see what you are talking about. This one looks like the loops were tac welded on there. I can only assume because the stakeout model forend couldn't be sourced for it or something.

Those are nice guns TC.
    That model 12 was a steal.
    3/15/2016

I read the link to the Lightfighter thread. It looks like Pat was issued a 13.5" shotgun in a Robbery assignment. I am guessing the shotgun you have is a recreation of the gun he had with a legal length barrel.
    Last edited by DamonL; 04-08-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I read the link to the Lightfighter thread. It looks like Pat was issued a 13.5" shotgun in a Robbery assignment. I am guessing the shotgun you have is a copy of the gun he had with a legal length barrel.
    Pat had a shitload of guns, but among his veritable arsenal of firearms were a fair number of shotguns set up for defensive use. I also snagged a 20 gauge Wingmaster he had worked over.

This Ithaca, though, drew my attention because according to the person coordinating the sale (one of Pat's truest friends) it was set up like his Robbery gun by Pat's report.

The customizations on this one are subtle but clearly come from a lot of time behind one.

When I had the ability to look at a significant chunk of the arsenal as it was being catalogued and prepped, I don't recall seeing another Ithaca set up for defensive use in there.
    3/15/2016

Ithacas

When I started with my PD in 1978 we had Ithaca 37’s, most with 18” barrels and rifle sights, plus some 20” guns with bead sights. I loved the shorter ones. Very light and fast. LASD and LAPD also used Ithacas. Pretty sure the LAPD ones had 18” barrels. LASD had 16.5” barrels on theirs. Both had rifle sights. NYPD had some even shorter, with barrels just longer than the mag tube and rifle sights (probably the 13.5” barrel referenced above).

By the time I retired, our shotguns were 870’s with 14” barrels, bead sights, Surefire Lights and sidesaddles. They worked fine, but were heavy pigs compared to the old Ithaca.

I think the fore arm strap was a feature on the short NYPD Ithaca guns.

Pic of short NYPD Ithaca with strap:

Name:  IMG_4225.jpg
Views: 3656
Size:  31.6 KB

LASD Female Deputy with Ithaca:

Name:  3fab29f664ebe3b18aa4466bbf8618a1.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  59.3 KB
    Last edited by LtDave; 04-08-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

More Ithaca pics

Some 16.5” LASD Ithacas in this one:

Name:  234930BF-39F8-43F1-A48F-4CCE9E68E1E1.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  96.0 KB

18” Ithacas, bead and rifle sights:

Name:  68272278-C017-40B7-B9E9-D1721492610A.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  26.2 KB

The bottom one in this picture is the same as the guns that my PD had with rifle sights. The rear sight is different between the NYPD guns and the guns we had in SoCal. Ours had a pedestal rear sight base, I believe so the guns would fit the shotgun racks in our cars, something that NYPD didn’t need.
    Last edited by LtDave; 04-08-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    TCinVA, that was hundreds of dollars worth of knowledge, wisdom, and experience in your post that you shared with us. One of many on here that make this the best gun forum in existence. It answered several questions I had about defensive shotgun use. Thank you very much for sharing. I really look forward to the day I get to do some shotgun training with you.
    That's too kind, sir.

I'm just sharing what I've learned from people much smarter than me, what I've researched, and what I've observed since stepping out and starting to teach this stuff.

I'll never be a replacement for people like Tom Givens, Rob Haught, or Louis Awerbuck, but if I can get a little of the gospel into the hands of a few more folks I'm pretty happy with that.

When we founded Pistol-Forum with Todd it was always about creating a superior informational resource where people could get ready access to information and instructors that would serve them well. I can't replace Todd, either...but I can maybe carry a little bit of his mission forward in my own way.

As for class, I might be susceptible to doing a class out in Arizona some time...
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That's too kind, sir.

I'm just sharing what I've learned from people much smarter than me, what I've researched, and what I've observed since stepping out and starting to teach this stuff.

I'll never be a replacement for people like Tom Givens, Rob Haught, or Louis Awerbuck, but if I can get a little of the gospel into the hands of a few more folks I'm pretty happy with that.

When we founded Pistol-Forum with Todd it was always about creating a superior informational resource where people could get ready access to information and instructors that would serve them well. I can't replace Todd, either...but I can maybe carry a little bit of his mission forward in my own way.

As for class, I might be susceptible to doing a class out in Arizona some time...
    I'm going to go ahead and speak for the other Arizonans on here and say that we'd be perfectly fine with that!

But I hope it's not until I have a shotgun to train with! My next gun purchase, most likely a Langdon 1301T. You know, another Arizonan.

LAPD Ithaca

Here's an ex-LAPD Ithaca 37:

Name:  IMG_2948.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2949.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  48.9 KB

I'd bet that it has been refinished.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Here's an ex-LAPD Ithaca 37:

I'd bet that it has been refinished.
    Likely. But it's still nice to see walnut like that on a working gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I know it's a re-enactment, but I love how these guys walk through downtown Manhattan with Doskocil long-gun cases at 1:50.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List