Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case for a 20" Shotgun, No Side Saddle, Non-Flite Control Buck

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    What brand is the Marine variant?
    I'd love some details, barrel length etc?
    I agree the turkish guns are a dime a dozen around here, not much resale value. I like to buy used ones to give to family members for presents. The last one I got had a nice aftermarket collapsible stock and 14" barrel and I think I only paid about 150$. Theyre fun toys but I prefer a Mossberg or Remington.
    Funny, I was going to get into a long explanation of who Canada Ammo are and then I noticed your location.

It's one of their Kodiak 9" guns, built by Sulun. I haven't shot it enough to have a real sense of its long term performance or anything but it works, no doubt about it. They sent me a lot of stuff over the years to review or T&E, sometimes destructively, and if it's the cheap stuff they don't care if they get it back or not. Their nicer stuff I always took back, but the weird turkish beaters they were usually just like "nah don't bother". Like a couple of the backpackers, I actually said "bill me for these, I want them, my wife likes them" but the cost on them was so low they just couldn't be bothered. I always wrote with the expectation that they would be going back but sometimes it just wasn't really a concern so I have maybe 3-4 cheap shotguns kicking around that they just didn't take back. It was actually funny unpacking after my long move into storage and then back out six months later...I'd be unpacking a dresser and there would be some random shotgun I'd completely forgotten about, wrapped in a towel in one of the drawers. Not really being a shotgun guy per se, I hadn't given them a lot of thought so they just got tucked in random places while of course the ARs etc I took more seriously. But the result was that as we unpacked the house was just crawling with unexpected shotguns.

Totally agree that if you want to distribute guns to family or arm the security wing of a cult or whatever...used turkish shotguns. Simple, cheap, lethal.

Name:  2020-04-05 10.48.23 - Edited.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  2020-04-05 10.47.56.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  73.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Funny, I was going to get into a long explanation of who Canada Ammo are and then I noticed your location.

It's one of their Kodiak 9" guns, built by Sulun. I haven't shot it enough to have a real sense of its long term performance or anything but it works, no doubt about it. They sent me a lot of stuff over the years to review or T&E, sometimes destructively, and if it's the cheap stuff they don't care if they get it back or not. Their nicer stuff I always took back, but the weird turkish beaters they were usually just like "nah don't bother". Like a couple of the backpackers, I actually said "bill me for these, I want them, my wife likes them" but the cost on them was so low they just couldn't be bothered. I always wrote with the expectation that they would be going back but sometimes it just wasn't really a concern so I have maybe 3-4 cheap shotguns kicking around that they just didn't take back. It was actually funny unpacking after my long move into storage and then back out six months later...I'd be unpacking a dresser and there would be some random shotgun I'd completely forgotten about, wrapped in a towel in one of the drawers. Not really being a shotgun guy per se, I hadn't given them a lot of thought so they just got tucked in random places while of course the ARs etc I took more seriously. But the result was that as we unpacked the house was just crawling with unexpected shotguns.

Totally agree that if you want to distribute guns to family or arm the security wing of a cult or whatever...used turkish shotguns. Simple, cheap, lethal.

Name:  2020-04-05 10.48.23 - Edited.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  97.2 KB

Oh man. That is the best chair I've seen this year.
    And sporting the sort of shotgun that Bug-Eyed Earl would be proud of, too.

It still trips me out that Canada allows SB shotguns with so little fuss.
    I'd love to take the Ithaca 37 down to 14.5" rather than the 21" it currently sports, but not enough to play the game.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 04-05-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    It still trips me out that the NFA does not allow SBS's without a great deal of fuss. At least allow us 14" barrels for Pete's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Oh man. That is the best chair I've seen this year.
    And sporting the sort of shotgun that Bug-Eyed Earl would be proud of, too.

I'd love to take the Ithaca 37 down to 14.5" rather than the 21" it currently sports, but not enough to play the game.
    Ah, thank you. My little sister made it, ages ago. I love it. People hesitate to sit in it. It does feel a little...intense.

It's true that the Canadian SBS thing is humourously out of step with the American one.

Name:  K61255__77573.1543500263.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  27.7 KB

$300 CAD, 15" barrel, both stocks, no restrictions. I guess technically you need a firearms permit to buy one, but they're not registered anywhere and you can take one wherever you want, anywhere in the country, really no rules at all apply to them.

I don't really need one or anything but I'm half tempted just because with the birds-head grip it'd be a great leg-holster driving gun, and it would be totally legal here. Although, of course, absurd.

But then I am hardly a stranger to the absurd.

For any of your short shotguns, if you could shorten the stock and add a side saddle you would have something REALLY fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    For any of your short shotguns, if you could shorten the stock and add a side saddle you would have something REALLY fun.
    Potentially shortening the stock, yes, might improve the handling a little - I have been considering putting a card on the side of one the shorties but to be honest the slick sides are part of what makes them appealing - they are extremely fast to handle.

For anything where I want capacity, the 14" Valtro has 7x00 in the mag, and a couple more mags handy if necessary so I have been leaving the little ones slick so as not to interrupt the very stripped-down nature of them. The Valtro is a tank anyway so you're not really screwing with it to have it tac'd up.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post

I love that 9” one. Still holds 3 shells too.
    Right now my bear gun is a 14” pistol grip Norinco 870 clone but I can see myself switching to that short marine model

Well it certainly works... I don't know that I would want to issue them to anyone with a serious shooting schedule but I would bet any money that you could put a thousand rounds through it without failure so odds of it not working when you need it seem remote in the extreme.

That said, for long term heavy duty use...

Name:  2020-04-05 14.46.40.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  80.7 KB

Site Supporter
    I do not keep a long gun loaded at home at this time since I have no proper way to secure it when I am away.
    Even though it is a pig, I would probably use my 20” 590 with the ancient Surefire forend, ghost ring sight, and Davis speed feed stock and load it with whatever buckshot I had on hand even though I prefer FFC. Work issues Ranger 00 buck so that is the most available load here. The 590 is Vang Comp ported and shoots standard 00 buck very well. I really need to pattern my guns with my work load and FFC 00.Name:  AEAA3528-525C-4EBD-8437-0A7B92FE59E9.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  22.4 KB
    The longest shot inside my house would be thirty feet.
    All my other “riot” shotguns are more svelte and much livelier to handle, especially my ‘60s Winchester 1200 “Riot” gun.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 04-05-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Since we're posting...

The pump shotgun that lives here; 1940 Ithaca 37, 1941 20 1/8" barrel*.
    I would love to get something more modern & robust, along with a class from TCinVA, HiTs, Chuck Haggard, or Tom Givens. However, life is not always planned...

Name:  IMG_20200405_201918448~2.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  61.4 KB

I was going through it today because the mag spring seemed to lose power to push the last shell (using all plastic Pachmayr snap-caps) and would mis-feed. This is understandably concerning if one needs a shotgun very badly.
    Thankfully, cleaning and lubricating the feed system seems to have cured the issue for now. Anyone have experience with the plastic Choate followers in this application?

I expect that a) a new magazine spring, and b)a five round shot card will make their way here this week, along with more #1 buckshot. This shotgun has patterned well with Flite-Control 00 and S & B 8 pellet 00 in the past. Being 6.25 lbs, recoil is brisk.

Reading the MN statutes, I am gutted to find out that SBRs are fully kosher, but a SBS that is not a curio & relic is worth a felony. Must be due to that heavy Mafia presence we had in the early 30s...
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List