Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case for a 20" Shotgun, No Side Saddle, Non-Flite Control Buck

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    But, owning a new gun may or may not be the thing thats keeping you overweight. If it is, then skip the gun. If it’s not, do t worry about it.
    Discovering that I could AIWB carry a G19 was all the impetus I needed to lose 30lbs so that it was not only concealable but also comfortable.

@Sanch, it seems you’ve already got your priorities decided on and, not that it should matter to anyone, I agree with them. If your level of fitness/health isn’t where you want it to be, then the last thing you need is a new $1000 shotgun. Spend some more time practicing with your 590 and get to the point where your chances of short stroking the action are minuscule. I’m sure you’ll be fine. I don’t think anyone ever got murdered because they had a well used pump shotgun instead of the latest and greatest semi-auto.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    It is true, at least according to Dr. Martin Fackler, that the primary reason folks stop/fall after being shot is the psychological response.

That being said, I don't know if you've ever shot slugs at vests draped over weighted targets, but they move. In my case I used upright tire carcasses with the vest strapped tightly around the front portion, weighted with bricks. The slug doesn't penetrate the vest, significant deformation of the tire, and you have to go pick it up.

I'm pretty sure you'd fall.
    Do you think 3 rds of 762x39 at close range would knock a person down if wearing plates?

”Pump” shotgun describes everything from a $2,000 work of art, that runs slick as snot, to some recent vintage shotguns that are rough as a cob, with sticky chambers, and god awful triggers.

I suspect most people, that don’t hunt with or regularly train with a pump, vastly overate their ability to efficiently run a pump just in square range shooting, no less on the stuff Craig demoed, or with one arm injured. In years previous, I shot a pump a lot, and trained extensively with one. The other day, I dragged a Super Nova out, and trying to shoot it quickly, was just atrocious. Before I relied on a pump for HD, I would do some shooting on a timer, with movement and confirm that pump is better for you than a carbine or just your pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Right now the shotgun in my bedroom is a 5 shot 18" m500 with a surefire fore end. No sidesaddle.

I have 14-20" defensive shotguns. For a home defense scenario it really doesnt matter imo.

Side saddles are a good idea and if i was running to a fight id grab my 590 with side saddle and soe micro rig.

I really dont have a preference between my 18-20" 590.

I do greatly prefer fc buck. Standard buck at 10ish yards spreads enough to miss some pellets. I found that a full load of buck was devastating but just missing a few pellets required a follow up shot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Do you think 3 rds of 762x39 at close range would knock a person down if wearing plates?
    You’re kidding, right? He’d have a bad day, but would only fall based on a psychological stop.

I use a pump but some training has proven to me that a reliable autoloader is a better choice. At some point, if funds allow, I will make the switch.

In the meantime, I practice with what I've got. It may not be a great analogy but running a pump is a bit like driving a stick shift. I want to be to the point of unconscious competence so I can focus on more important things. Really, 99.99% of it is managed by slamming the slide like I'm trying to break it.

I wonder if the advantage of injured-arm operation may be just a tiny bit overstated sometimes. The autoloader definitely has an advantage that it will probably chamber the next round. After that, it's still going to be difficult to aim, difficult to recover from each shot, and push/pull recoil management is out the window. If that happened, I would probably be wishing I had a carbine instead -- or, better yet, I was somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I wonder if the advantage of injured-arm operation may be just a tiny bit overstated sometimes. The autoloader definitely has an advantage that it will probably chamber the next round. After that, it's still going to be difficult to aim, difficult to recover from each shot, and push/pull recoil management is out the window. If that happened, I would probably be wishing I had a carbine instead -- or, better yet, I was somewhere else.
    Having shot Rolling Thunder, one arm only, with a semi and a pump, the difference is eye opening. Being able to continuously fire the shotgun with just one arm is obviously an advantage if one arm is injured, or someone or some animal is pulling at one arm. However, there are many other scenarios where not needing two hands to fire is an advantage, like holding a dog’s leash in one hand, moving someone else to safety, holding onto a ladder or railing, or driving an automobile or boat. As John Hearne says, needing a defensive firearm is a low probability, high stakes event, and each of us will assess probability and preparation differently.

I have also heard folks say they want to leave a less valuable shotgun around for home defense. Much more concerning to me than the value of a shotgun, is the risk of coming home and getting shot by a burglar with my own shotgun. We we were burglarized by druggies, and every firearm not locked into a safe was lost, so as a practical matter any HD long gun in our place will be secured.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    “Semi” describes a wide range of shotguns. A Benelli or Beretta, especially with full power buck, would certainly do well — others vary.
    Last time we spoke you sold me on the 1301T. I was just getting around to trying to track one down when the Earth stood still. It's in the plan. I think I want the green one.

I do wish it had a "rifle sight" option vs the ghost ring but not that big a deal.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I do wish it had a "rifle sight" option vs the ghost ring but not that big a deal.
    Me too.

User Tag List