Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case for a 20" Shotgun, No Side Saddle, Non-Flite Control Buck

Site Supporter
    I have this internal debate about once a year over shotguns.

I never shoot them or think about shooting them. I own one 500 my brother gave to me and I last shot it about 2-3 years ago.

I shoot pistols the most and rifles about 1/3 to 1/4 as much. Glock’s and AR’s. My 1911 when I get nostalgic enough to pay 40-50% more for .45 FMJ and then remember it’s expensive enough to go “yeah... that’s part of why I switched isn’t it?”.

That being said I’m kind of half tempted to consider a 14” Mossberg 590 and a light. I’d just need to shoot it like 2/3 times a year.

I’m with you on qualifications to defend myself. It takes a small fortunate and a full time job to keep individuals prepared for combat referencing our military and LE here.

I think my fitness pal for weight loss and shooting clay pigeons and/or 3-gun 2-3 times a year with your 590’s sounds reasonable. Practice shoot moving targets, and reloading, etc. maybe get some stuff for dry firing and loading.

I like the 1301T’s and honestly if I did it - I’d want to do it right and that’d be most of Ernest’s modifications. Which takes the gun into super expensive (for me) territory.

I think personally - I’ll look at trading that 500 when guns are able to be located again and look at a 590 with a WML. Get back into Jiu Jitsu when the ‘Rona is over.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    That being said I’m kind of half tempted to consider a 14” Mossberg 590 and a light. I’d just need to shoot it like 2/3 times a year.

I think personally - I’ll look at trading that 500 when guns are able to be located again and look at a 590 with a WML. Get back into Jiu Jitsu when the ‘Rona is over.
    Just an FYSA, a 14" 590 is an NFA item, and will require a tax stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I’m the context of a civilian, how bad is it if you short stroke it? If it’s the first round going from cruiser ready , your pretty bad off. But if it’s the second round, probably not as terrible since you just shot the guy once.

And the immediate action would be to stroke it a second time. If you get click when it’s supposed to,bang you stroke it again and press the trigger again. So maybe you lose 0.5 seconds?

I have a few pump guns. If I buy a 1301, then I feel like I need to sell my pump guns because I barely have time to train with the pump guns as is let alone two different shotgun platforms.

My gut tells me to keep my 590s, ignore the 1301 or any future semi shotgun and keep practicing with the 590. The likelihood I need to ever fire a round through my shotgun in self defense is small.

Is that worth me selling my pumps, buying a pair of 1301s, since I can’t just have one of anything, putting in the effort to learn it. It doesn’t seem like it. People defend theirselves with double barrel shotguns successfully. To say I need to buy a 1301 and then in 10 years a newer better one comes out and I need to sell my two 1301s and buy that. It seems wasteful.

But maybe I’m wrong, so that’s why impost my thoughts to hear what’s flawed in my argument.

I think if it’s determined the 590 isn’t good enough for self defense since I might short stroke, I might just switch to handgun for home defense since I already have that, already practice a few times a month.

The thing is you don't NEED two off the bat. If you're not running the shit out of it you will likely never need that second one.

So you could replace the pumps with a better tool now, and should you feel the need down the line you could get a second one.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Do you think 3 rds of 762x39 at close range would knock a person down if wearing plates?
    You’re kidding, right? He’d have a bad day, but would only fall based on a psychological stop.
    It's not all psychological --- think of someone getting knocked out in boxing: the puncher remains standing while the punchee falls. So no it wouldn't be knocked back like yanked like a bungee cord, but knocked over?

Bed side pic. 1301 with no saddle for holding and short gun for moving.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I know I have been social distancing too long. I saw that pic and a childhood song popped into my head.

"A-hunting we shall go....."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Just an FYSA, a 14" 590 is an NFA item, and will require a tax stamp.
    Correct. I have done the NFA process before.

Thank you,
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    This guy. I want to be this guy when I grow up.

That’s basically what I’d want.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have also heard folks say they want to leave a less valuable shotgun around for home defense. Much more concerning to me than the value of a shotgun, is the risk of coming home and getting shot by a burglar with my own shotgun. We we were burglarized by druggies, and every firearm not locked into a safe was lost, so as a practical matter any HD long gun in our place will be secured.
    This almost happened to a friend of mines dad in the early nineties. He went home in the middle of the day and realized he had been or was being burgled. He armed himself with a .357 S&W and began clearing his house. When he got to the master bedroom he found himself staring down the barrel of his own remington 870, now being wielded by a young druggie. His first round and only round hit the bad guy in his left hand/wrist. The bullet then splintered the wooden fore end of the shotgun and lodged itself in the magtube disabling the shotgun. I don’t remember if the badguy was able to get off a shot, but he decided to surrender and Johnny held him at gun point until the police and medics arrived.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 03-28-2020 at 11:33 AM.

@SouthNarc

What kind of lamp is that? I’d like to get me one of those!

Also, where do the guns stay when your not home? Do you put them in a default gun safe or something like a shot lock? My gunsafe takes a bit too long to open since I have it hidden behind stuff in a closet so locking up my shotgun in there everyday is burdensome but I don’t want to come home to find a burglar holding my shotgun either

User Tag List