Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Begun the great debate about cargo pants vs jeans has

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Before kids I often wondered why all these dads were wearing cargo pants/shorts. With kids, I realize that the key is to leave the house with the pockets empty because by the time you return gone you’ll find you have all manner of crap in them, and on the occasions you leave the house in non-cargo shorts/pants you will miss having someplace to put crap.

That said, the de-facto cargo shorts and pants appear to be the Wranglers, presumably because you get them at “the Walmart”, and I can’t stand the things.

My favorite are actually my magpul cargo pants/shorts because they don’t have the big balloon pockets, but as far as I can tell they stopped making them. They aren’t perfect but they’re my fav so far.

If vertex could ever once in ten years produce a pair of pants with consistent sizing, I’d like to like them. As it is I feel like I hav to order 6 pairs ( waist sizes 34, 36, and 38 with lengths 30 and 32 of each) to maybe find one that fits. I’ve had pants from them that have the same size printed on the tag but fit completely differently and are different actual sizes. And I can never recall the last time I experimented with them and which size I thought might maybe fit. I think it’s 38x30 which makes me sound like a fat troll when in fact I’m 6’ and 190 lbs.
    Have you tried Kuhl shorts/pants? I have several pairs of shorts from them, Revolvr, Kontra, Silencr, and a couple I forget the model name of and they all have been sized consistently. Many of them are offered in three inseam lengths, 8", 10", and 12" too.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I see what you did there...
    Subtle, wasn't it?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    I've got a pair of jeans from Duluth Trading Company with a gusseted crotch and they're basically my main pair of jeans.

I can throw high kicks in them, I can lock up a triangle choke or even play some open guard.

I'm open to the idea of pants that aren't jeans, but I refuse to wear cargo pockets because I'm not a middle schooler. [emoji41]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I wear jeans year round. 105° in OK summer? Jeans. HTFU.
    I'll wear cargo pants for stuff like a pistol class or match where i'm juggling lots of small items (mags ammo etc) and the pockets become really functional. I have a couple pairs of old 5.11s for that purpose. But for normal life they're unneccessary. If I can carry my keys, knife, wallet, flashlight in jeans, i've got all the pockets I need.

I have some thicker, tougher more traditional style jeans for physical labor - yardwork, etc. They can be a little less comfortable, for sure. But they're protective and hold up well.

For everyday wear I've settled in on the Eddie Bauer jeans in a straight fit. I don't think they're quite as tough (softer fabric, some of them seem to have some stretchy added) but they look a bit more stylish for wear to work in our new jeans-approved sub-biz-casual environment.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I hate jeans so much. I don't understand how people wear them, especially for anything that requires movement.
    In this era of pantyhose-tight jeans wearing hipsters, finding decent jeans can be difficult and said jeans might be a bit expensive. But properly made jeans are comfortable, look good with a wide range of clothing, and do not hinder movement. Admittedly they are not the best choice for wet weather though.

I like good jeans for urban use and my girlfriend likes when I wear jeans as I'm told I look good in them. Theoretically I wear cargos when lounging around the house, working on stuff around the house, shooting and hiking - but a lot of the time with the two latter, since I started the day (assuming it's a work day) wearing jeans I end up in the woods or on the range wearing jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Have you tried Kuhl shorts/pants? I have several pairs of shorts from them, Revolvr, Kontra, Silencr, and a couple I forget the model name of and they all have been sized consistently. Many of them are offered in three inseam lengths, 8", 10", and 12" too.
    I have a jacket from Kuhl that I love. My wife has some pants from them that she likes a lot. I’ve been tempted by them, but the contrasting stitching on most of their stuff is off putting to me.

Site Supporter
    Generally speaking, cargo pants such as Duluth's lineup are my preference. The pockets don't hang like parachutes, they've got plenty of movement, and the few things I do carry aren't trapped in pockets when sitting down.

Working the gun counter, I tend to wear jeans with a crotch gusset, and get the same benefits, but I also am not wearing a harness and don't sit down. Combined with a properly fitted polo shirt, it presents enough of an image shift that people think I'm the manager or owner. I've also found the Duluth ballroom jean lineup to work well for me - Lee/Levi's/etc., don't cut the mustard.

Really curious here... Can folks chime in with a rough price range for the following:

Dirt cheap, buy all you can:
    Cheap:
    Average:
    Above average, but I'll pay it:
    High, but I'll wait for a sale:
    Too high, but I get why folks would pay:
    Ludicrous:

Mine are:
    Dirt cheap, buy all you can: 20
    Cheap: 25
    Average: 50-100
    Above average, but I'll pay it: 130
    High, but I'll wait for a sale: 150+
    Too high, but I get why folks would pay: 200
    Ludicrous: 400
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Cheap: Under 20
    Average: Under 40
    Above average, but I'll pay it: Under 60
    High, but I'll wait for a sale: Under 120
    Too high, but I get why folks would pay: 199
    Ludicrous: 200+

Site Supporter
    My new favorite pants...

https://www.carhartt.com/products/ca...ungaree-102291

More stretch and give than jeans, no unnecessary cargo pockets that I won't use.

User Tag List