Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Begun the great debate about cargo pants vs jeans has

Site Supporter
    I split the difference and wear Wrangler cargos. I only wear jeans when working at the bike shop, and that's on hold during this COVID-19 thing due to my geezerhood.

For some reason, with cargos and Docker-style pants, 34" waist pants are comfortable when carrying IWB. 34" waist jeans only have room for me.

I don't look too Timmy since cargos and untucked shirts are common geezer garb where I live. 5.11s don't look like geezer cargos so I avoid them.

I guess you could say I'm pants-preference agnostic except that I have an aversion to actual dress pants. I tend to rotate between one of Columbia's nice looking but made out of non-flimsy fabric pants (Roc II IIRC), cargos from Condor or Tru-Spec, and Levi's 569 jeans. They all work for me, though I will admit that the cargos are the most comfortable, and more pockets are more better.

I swing both ways...

Jeans depend heavily on who makes them. I've found success with both Wrangler and Old Navy, although when I went to buy Wrangler recently, the vast majority of their products had shifted how they were cut. I normally wear "loose" or "relaxed" styles, and when I tried them on they more closely resembled skinny jeans. Old Navy hasn't quite gone down that path. I've definitely picked up pairs from other brands that qualified as uncomfortable and restrictive.

Cargos I go for Wrangler or if the "tactical look" isn't a concern, LAPG brand. Either jeans/cargos and a flannel or polo is standard apparel where I work, so the move to extra pockets and ripstop doesn't stand out nearly as much as it would in other environments (and in wet weather, they fare a lot better than cotton). The new STS pants are noticeably more comfortable than the Urban Ops if that's more your speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Svartafoss, Iceland.
    Thought it looked familiar, I lived there for three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carhartt Holters, relaxed but not loose, plenty of room to do daily stuff, poly/cotton blend, durable.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I hate jeans so much. I don't understand how people wear them, especially for anything that requires movement.
    What the hell kind of jeans are y'all wearing and why are they tight or restrictive?? I have solid legs from both an active lifestyle and lotsa squats. I'm also about to turn 45 and I ain't concerned with fashion trends. Since college a thousand years ago, I've worn boot cut jeans of some designation. Most recently, mine are from American Eagle (classic boot) because they last even with daily wear, they're not terribly expensive and can be purchased online and returned to a local store if something is wrong. I live in jeans year-round.

I would love to try Duluth Trading, but buying something, having it not fit and having to return and try the whole process again is a pain in the balls. DT's nearest store to me is 150+ miles away. Yeah, I'm not *that* interested in what they've got. I've also tried Kuhl and Carhartt, neither of which fit.

Not to create a thread drift or argue. Legit ask here. In my area, jeans also help render you culturally invisible. There's a *lot* of folks on this site who go on about how the shooting/firearms/self defense community should strive to not wear any "identifying emblems" (punisher skulls, firearm logos, etc). Do you not think your go-fast cargos (usually spotted worn with light hikers and a beard) are any less of an identifier? If cargos work for you, mazel tov! I wish like hell I could find some decent ones. But unless they're covered in obvious job-site wear, aren't cargos just as bad as wearing a riggers belt around town?

Cargo pants aren’t out of place here in the PNW, and no one sees your belt because it’s under an untucked shirt.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I spent a lot of time on and around the water as a kid, and learned to dislike jeans. Wet jeans take forever to dry and are miserable to wear. Now they're a useful option but not my first choice.

I like having useful pockets, but if I'm doing serious walking I get annoyed at full pockets bouncing off my legs. I'd much rather have emptier pockets and gear(multi-tool, flashlight, etc.) in belt pouches or a small pack. I can live with the "bat-belt" jokes.

My everyday default for work & after is the basic Dickies work pants. Neat enough for office, functional, cheap.

Dad style cargo shorts primarily. Duluth pants for the two weeks of "not summer," here.

Site Supporter
    BTW, I found that Cabela's cargo pants were crap, at least the ones I bought a few years ago. The pockets wore through in a month from EDC carry of a clip anything. The material that made the pockets inside had holes very quickly.

When I brought them in for a return, the one between San Antonio and Austin were total buttholes and wouldn't exchange them.

User Tag List