Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 642 cylinder sticking

I also use a single drop on the cylinder release latch screw threads. This is actually very important, as I have seen more than a few revolvers go down due to this coming loose at inopportune times.

That is it in a nutshell.

It is really pretty simple, but like anything, if you have never done it before, it looks more difficult than it really is.

Lots of little things, like good screwdrivers are important, but I am sure you know that.

After a basic cleaning, you should have a better idea reference diagnosing any potential issues.

Site Supporter
    You may also discover that if you get excited about a pretty, shiny blue new/new to you S&W revolver that fills a specific spot in your collection and go shoot it in the boonies without your usual tool set and didn’t check your screws first that a backed out cylinder retention screw can induce all sorts of hilarity.

Or so I heard.

Thanks for that, Mackey!

I got all excited that I actually had an answer to an experienced person's question here, but then I got to overthinking it. Didn't want to get it wrong.

Alternately, you can use a very light coating of a favored grease on the crane where it fits into the cylinder, rotate the cylinder a few times, then pull the crane out and wipe that area dry. Then reinsert the crane into the cylinder and reassemble the revolver. Just the little bit you smeared in there can last for a good long time.

While you have it out, check your other side plate screws for tightness. For me, this is something that gets checked during every cleaning session and when at the range.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

No Worries Friend!

We all contribute a little bit here and there. That is what makes this place, this place.

I have to do that to my 642 once in a while. I had assumed it was from firing dirty practice ammo.

User Tag List