Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 642 cylinder sticking

642 cylinder sticking

I may have posted about this before but I can't find it now.

I have a 642. the cylinder is very hard to rotate when it's open, and I assume also when it's closed meaning it could be affecting trigger pull.

When I manually rotate it with my hand it frees up a bit, but goes back to sticking. I seem to recall that I've tried to lube some places to get it to spin more freely but to no long-term avail.

I rarely even touch the gun, let alone shoot it, but I thought it might make a good companion for anti-social distancing during a trip to town tomorrow, so I thought I'd try to un-stick it again.

if that doesn't work it'll be a Keltec P-32 in the pocket, as much as I'd rather have the .38

Site Supporter
    Can you pull the trigger when the cylinder is closed? When is the last time the cylinder was pulled for cleaning of the operating parts?

My 19-9 was like this. It made the trigger pull unnecessarily heavy.

Remove the cylinder. If you have a good padded vice and decent tools, you can disassemble that entire assembly. I bet it’s chock full of crap. Clean, lube, reassemble carefully and correctly. Or have a smith do it.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Can you pull the trigger when the cylinder is closed? When is the last time the cylinder was pulled for cleaning of the operating parts?
    yes, the gun will fire, the trigger will pull, the hammer will drop, the cylinder will rotate. Just all much less freely than it should.

Cylinder has never been pulled to my knowledge. I bought this gun used probably 10 years ago, fired it a few times, stuck it in a holster and stuck it in the safe. I pull it out to carry from time to time and that's it.

Do you know how to take the cylinder off the gun? @rob_s

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Do you know how to take the cylinder off the gun? @rob_s
    no, but I'm sure there's some youtubes out there that'll help me break some shit!

You might need to ream out the inside of the yoke where it fits in the cylinder. There used to be reamers specifically made to do this. It was a common thing to do to free up a cylinder that was binding on the yoke. Came in J, K & N sized variations. Brownells has one for K/L frames (currently out of stock). It definitely affects the trigger pull in a negative way.

Pacific Tool & Gauge has the K & N size tool. http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/1255-smith-wesson-tools
    Last edited by LtDave; 03-26-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    no, but I'm sure there's some youtubes out there that'll help me break some shit!

Super simple Friend.

Give me a few minutes, I will snap a couple phone pics for you and the benefit of others who may come along later.

cylinder removal

This screw on the 442 (applies to other S&Ws as well)

I will skip the usual warnings, not get technical with names either..

Remove the screw, open the cylinder, the whole cylinder assembly, crane, ejector rod, will slide forward and out of the gun.

The L shaped piece will pull right off.

Clean and oil. put back on, the cylinder and make sure it spins freely, not binding, etc.

More.

Clean all the gunk and carbon out of the hole in the frame shown here:

Great time to really scrub the barrel and cylinder since it is at the stage it is.

BTW, a pencil eraser will get the carbon off of cylinder flutes and other oddball places. A "fooking pencil" eraser.. old trick.

Make sure you get under the extractor star with a tooth brush. There is no harm in giving it a shot of gun scrubber or other aerosol type cleaner if you use such things. I don't, but just make sure you totally let it dry and remove all the film afterwards. I lube my guns with motor oil, though thats a topic for another time. Works for belt feds, works for bolt guns, works for revolvers.

Now you just reassemble in reverse order.

Though when you get to the side plate screw that retains the cylinder, I would suggest using a single drop of either MEDIUM loc-tite or what I use, which is dollar store clear finger nail polish hardener. The FNPH does an excellent job and prevents the important ones from backing out.

User Tag List