Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Rethinking Armor

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ah, crap @GJM. Hope it passes quickly with no complications. Keep us posted.
    Thank you — doing fine so far, although I haven’t had the energy to get out of bed. I am actually pretty excited about the possibility of having been exposed and getting it behind me. The only bummer is I haven’t been able to get tested, to confirm it. They say they are reserving those tests for very ill folks, and interestingly are using the Covid positive tests as a way of ruling out other serious possible illnesses when treating very sick folks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  2. #12
    Locally police reported one break-in by a released prisoner, armed with a knife. Apprehended, no harm to the victim. The only type of crime reported to increase notably is domestic violence.
    “Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Locally police reported one break-in by a released prisoner, armed with a knife. Apprehended, no harm to the victim. The only type of crime reported to increase notably is domestic violence.
    My town has four shootings in a week and 5 break ins.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    My town has four shootings in a week and 5 break ins.
    How does that compare to a normal week?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  5. #15
    King of Craft Clusterfrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Redneck wonderland
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thank you — doing fine so far, although I haven’t had the energy to get out of bed. I am actually pretty excited about the possibility of having been exposed and getting it behind me. The only bummer is I haven’t been able to get tested, to confirm it. They say they are reserving those tests for very ill folks, and interestingly are using the Covid positive tests as a way of ruling out other serious possible illnesses when treating very sick folks.
    Glad to hear it. We're kind of feeling the same way. I got some very detailed info from a cousin of a friend who is an expert at the highest level in infectious disease. He is among those working on a vaccine. What he wrote was that if you have a fever, and especially a fever combined with COVID-19 symptoms, you can be pretty confident that you have it, and act accordingly. Given the epidemiology, it's very unlikely to be something else, and perhaps less likely than a false negative from the test.

    Take care of yourself.
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Glad to hear it. We're kind of feeling the same way. I got some very detailed info from a cousin of a friend who is an expert at the highest level in infectious disease. He is among those working on a vaccine. What he wrote was that if you have a fever, and especially a fever combined with COVID-19 symptoms, you can be pretty confident that you have it, and act accordingly. Given the epidemiology, it's very unlikely to be something else, and perhaps less likely than a false negative from the test.

    Take care of yourself.
    I have most of the symptoms, including loss of smell. Such a loss of smell, that when I uncap “new skin,” which drives our dog running into the next room, I couldn’t smell anything. The irony is I was most likely exposed at the LGS.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  7. #17
    Site Supporter Erick Gelhaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northern CA
    Granted, I have several sets of armor and plates within arms reach right now - II, IIIA, and ICW & stand-alone plates ...

    I think GJM's commentary here has a lot of merit.

    If you are going to go down the armor road, some things to consider:
    - what threats are you likely to encounter in your area? What is really being used, what are the cops recovering in cases?
    - with plates, you can get any two of - performance, light-weight, reasonable cost. Only two.
    - there is a difference between 55gr M193 and 62gr M855 and what they do to plates.

    And then some states regulate armor.

  8. #18
    Site Supporter StraitR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have most of the symptoms, including loss of smell. Such a loss of smell, that when I uncap “new skin,” which drives our dog running into the next room, I couldn’t smell anything. The irony is I was most likely exposed at the LGS.
    Take care of yourself G, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How does that compare to a normal week?
    1 shooting a month and usually about the same home invasion

  10. #20
    Site Supporter DocGKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    "there is a difference between 55gr M193 and 62gr M855 and what they do to plates."
    And there is a whole lot of difference between M193, M855, and M855A1....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •