Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First shot after draw worse than follow-up shots, help?

Site Supporter

First shot after draw worse than follow-up shots, help?

Hi all,

I've noticed something in my practice sessions. I think it happens more often later on in the session, but it can happen anytime. I find that sometimes the first shot I take after the draw can be consistently worse than my follow-up shots. Does anyone else experience this? Based on my reading and analysis, I have a hunch I am continuing to increase grip pressure on the gun as I'm pressing the trigger on the first shot. It's kinda like "OK, I know I'm about to feel recoil, so let's grip it firmly." But then all of the follow-up shots in the string tend to be better because my hands and mind are already in "shooting mode" and ready to press the trigger again knowing the pistol will fire again. Does that make sense? Are there any suggestions on how to mitigate and train myself to solve this specific issue? I realize it may be as simple as "grip the gun hard before pressing trigger". Thanks for your time.

Chris

What is your internal or external cue to press or finish pressing the trigger?

In example, many press the trigger after they reach full extension, irrespective of other aspects; because the press-out is complete.

Bearing with that, could you walk me through the physical, visual, and internal thought process that takes you from your starting position of choice; to that first shot; please?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

I find the same thing happening to me from time to time. For me personally I think I'm allowing the urgency of the first shot (especially under time stress) to effect my fundamentals. When I see it happening i tell myself to forget about the shot timer and focus on the shot process and I usually get back on track. For me the problem is rushing to the shot and allowing my grip, sights and trigger pull to be 75% correct as apposed to 100% where they should be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    What is your internal or external cue to press or finish pressing the trigger?
    In example, many press the trigger after they reach full extension, irrespective of other aspects; because the press-out is complete.
    Bearing with that, could you walk me through the physical, visual, and internal thought process that takes you from your starting position of choice; to that first shot; please?
    Sure. I carry a G19 AIWB so let's start there...

- I'm looking at the target.
    - I hear the "go beep" in my head.
    - Keeping eye focused on the target, my support hand moves to the hem of my cover garment as my strong hand gets into position above the pistol.
    - My support hand raises the cover garment high until the hand reaches about my pectoral muscle while my strong hand establishes a master grip.
    - As I draw the pistol up, my support hand releases the cover garment and my hands start to meet in front of my chest, trigger finger indexed on the slide.
    - My hands form the grip as I press the pistol out as my eyes start to pick up the front sight, and my finger moves to the trigger.
    - At this point, I'm thinking firm strong hand grip, front-to-back, pinching hard against the grip tang and front strap, support hand crushing grip, both hands pressing/rotating inwards slightly (like a nut cracker).
    - About half way thru the press out, my finger has taken out the slack in the trigger and reaches the wall.
    - The final half of the press out refines the sight picture and starts the press thru the wall. I'm thinking "smooth and easy" press.
    - I break the shot as my arms reach about 95% extension (I don't fully extend 100%).
    - I track the sights in recoil, rest the trigger and prep to the wall for a follow-up shot.

That's about everything.

Tom Givens in one of his classes said something to the effect that your 1st shot after doing something else tends to be not as good as usual.

Something else includes: drawing, reloading, malfunction clearance, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Tom Givens in one of his classes said something to the effect that your 1st shot after doing something else tends to be not as good as usual.

Something else includes: drawing, reloading, malfunction clearance, etc....
    Yes, he does. Heard it a number of times last weekend (took the 2-day Combative Pistol in Ruskin FL). After a draw, after a reload, etc.

Front sight, press. Easy to explain, hard to do consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Sure. I carry a G19 AIWB so let's start there...

- I'm looking at the target.
    - I hear the "go beep" in my head.
    - Keeping eye focused on the target, my support hand moves to the hem of my cover garment as my strong hand gets into position above the pistol.
    - My support hand raises the cover garment high until the hand reaches about my pectoral muscle while my strong hand establishes a master grip.
    - As I draw the pistol up, my support hand releases the cover garment and my hands start to meet in front of my chest, trigger finger indexed on the slide.
    - My hands form the grip as I press the pistol out as my eyes start to pick up the front sight, and my finger moves to the trigger.
    - At this point, I'm thinking firm strong hand grip, front-to-back, pinching hard against the grip tang and front strap, support hand crushing grip, both hands pressing/rotating inwards slightly (like a nut cracker).
    - About half way thru the press out, my finger has taken out the slack in the trigger and reaches the wall.
    - The final half of the press out refines the sight picture and starts the press thru the wall. I'm thinking "smooth and easy" press.
    - I break the shot as my arms reach about 95% extension (I don't fully extend 100%).
    - I track the sights in recoil, rest the trigger and prep to the wall for a follow-up shot.

That's about everything.
    The thing that jumps out at me, is you do a lot of “thinking” during different aspects of your presentation. You need to be able to present the gun and fire the shot, without consciously thinking about the steps. Probably need more reps to burn it in at a subconscious level? And, rushing any aspect of shooting generally makes it slower and less accurate.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The thing that jumps out at me, is you do a lot of “thinking” during different aspects of your presentation. You need to be able to present the gun and fire the shot, without consciously thinking about the steps. Probably need more reps to burn it in at a subconscious level? And, rushing any aspect of shooting generally makes it slower and less accurate.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am a thinker by nature, and can "get in my head" somewhat. My experience with learning to shoot well is extremely similar to how I learned a proper golf swing. You start out thinking about every little aspect, work on different things during practice, and then over time your muscles just take over and you're on autopilot. I totally get that. I'm getting there with shooting, just have more progress to make.

The person I was replying to asked for very specific info, so I took some time to deeply analyze every step of the process and described it. I didn't mean to imply I consciously think of every single thing I listed every time I draw and shoot. I was just giving as complete a picture as I could to aid in the diagnosis.

Thanks for the feedback. I am a thinker by nature, and can "get in my head" somewhat. My experience with learning to shoot well is extremely similar to how I learned a proper golf swing. You start out thinking about every little aspect, work on different things during practice, and then over time your muscles just take over and you're on autopilot. I totally get that. I'm getting there with shooting, just have more progress to make.

The person I was replying to asked for very specific info, so I took some time to deeply analyze every step of the process and described it. I didn't mean to imply I consciously think of every single thing I listed every time I draw and shoot. I was just giving as complete a picture as I could to aid in the diagnosis.
    I would like to think I am a “thinker” as well, and at times I think it has retarded my shooting development. At some level, pistol shooting is pretty simple — align the sights, hold the pistol firmly and move the trigger!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Hi all,

I've noticed something in my practice sessions. I think it happens more often later on in the session, but it can happen anytime. I find that sometimes the first shot I take after the draw can be consistently worse than my follow-up shots. Does anyone else experience this? Based on my reading and analysis, I have a hunch I am continuing to increase grip pressure on the gun as I'm pressing the trigger on the first shot. It's kinda like "OK, I know I'm about to feel recoil, so let's grip it firmly." But then all of the follow-up shots in the string tend to be better because my hands and mind are already in "shooting mode" and ready to press the trigger again knowing the pistol will fire again. Does that make sense? Are there any suggestions on how to mitigate and train myself to solve this specific issue? I realize it may be as simple as "grip the gun hard before pressing trigger". Thanks for your time.

Chris
    As noted, tne first shot after any type of “handling” will be worse than “normal” if you are not careful about acquiring or re-acquiring a proper grip. This is true of draws, reloads, switch the gun from hand to hand for one handed shooting etc. It’s no great mystery.

It sounds like you are giving up acquisition of a proper grip for speed then adjusting your grip as you go.

Dry work on your “grip and draw” and live practice 1, 2, and 3 shot draws should help.

User Tag List