Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver loadout?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Looks to me like his spare ammo is wrapped in another j frame.
    TRU DAT
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pipes View Post
    Yes sir Rick I do. A 5rd slow strip in a pouch on my belt at 330. A slow strip in my right rear slash pocket of 511's. I use to carry Round nose reloads BUT after hearing DB say at the Pat Rogers Revolver Round Up, we were fooling ourselves thinking we might reload successfully under fire. So like Jeff Cooper's extra mag my reloads are for "afterwards". The slow strips are loaded with my carry Buffalo Bore 150 hard cast wadcutter.......CYA
    I figure the reload comes during a lull in the festivities, I mix it up with speedloaders/moonclips and “slow strips” to top off after firing one or two at a varmint of the four or no legged variety.

Thanks for the insight.

Stay safe.

Attachment 51298

Sorry guys and gals late to the party. 640pro AIWB, 340pds for pockets and 342's for ankles. NUTTIN carries as easy as J frames.....CYA
    Just curious, do you ever use a CCW bigger than a J frame, or just step up to gauge or rifle if you feel something more is prudent?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Just curious, do you ever use a CCW bigger than a J frame, or just step up to gauge or rifle if you feel something more is prudent?
    Dov, I do carry a rifle in my truck vault. I do not think I will ever fight my way to it. On my person just the J frames.

CYA
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

My load-out varies too much, lately, to be both specific and brief, and, depending upon upon how my next LEOSA qual goes, I may be Glock-only, for a while. With PD ranges not doing quals, due to the pandemic, I may go to a private shooting school/range, several hours away, that does LEOSA quals, get everything done as quickly as possible, which means using a Glock, while gloved-up, then tossing everything, including my outer later of clothing, into a bag, and my boots into the back of the truck, for the trip home. My wife’s health is too fragile for me to risk doing anything extra, such as shooting the qual a second time for revolvers. Reloading revolvers is a bit tedious while gloved-up.

Plus, the shooting school specifies that one must wear a duty-type holster, and I am not certain what I still have, for revolvers, will meet their standards, and I would rather not take the time to change rigs, anyway.

If the qual card they give me does not specify auto, well, I may carry both autos and revolvers. The card my former employer issues will specify either auto, or revolver; I need to shoot a qual for each, if I want to carry both

After this COVID thing settles down, well, I can go to the Houston PD range, and get qual’ed with both revolver and auto. I can qual as often as I want; no need to wait a year. An LEOSA qual card has a specified date, and is good for one year. (I am kicking myself for not getting my qual done early, before this pandemic mess.)

I like the Milt Sparks PMK, and the Kramer Vertical Scabbard, and the Kramer Crossdraw, which I wear AOWB, rather than cross-draw. If I feel like AIWB, well, JMCK, of course.

If I can dress around them, I like the GP100, Speed Six, and K-snubs. I will often bring HKS speed-loaders, for these medium-frame weapons.

Light days, or deeper concealment, or just because, well, SP101, times however many I feel like carrying; three is not unusual. With the cylinder providing less work space, with these little guys, I do not usually carry speed-loaders, as the multiple guns provide the speed. Bianchi Slow Strips, which I carry, are only speedy for a two-round “tactical” reload.

My hands are long, but not wide. My fingers are not long. So, an SP101 is a quite good fit; I can get my pinkie firmly onto the OEM SP101 grip.

J-snubs punish the base joint of my right thumb, unless I use over-sized, cushioned grips. That makes a J as big as an SP101. On occasion, I will carry a J-snub on the left side.

Short barrels, 2” to 3”, are fine. I may well carry a longer-barreled weapon, when the urge strikes, such as on road trips, but my eyesight is fading, with age, and I no longer enjoy qualified immunity, so the idea is to scrape an attacker off of me, especially in this county, where the DA seems to have a grudge against LEOs.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-05-2020 at 08:36 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Yes sir Rick I do. A 5rd slow strip in a pouch on my belt at 330. A slow strip in my right rear slash pocket of 511's. I use to carry Round nose reloads BUT after hearing DB say at the Pat Rogers Revolver Round Up, we were fooling ourselves thinking we might reload successfully under fire. So like Jeff Cooper's extra mag my reloads are for "afterwards". The slow strips are loaded with my carry Buffalo Bore 150 hard cast wadcutter.......CYA
    I see that the both say “slow strips.”

I have carried as many as four SP101 snubbies, at the same time. To carry five, one would have to be .32 H&R, and 4”.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I see that the both say “slow strips.”

I have carried as many as four SP101 snubbies, at the same time. To carry five, one would have to be .32 H&R, and 4”.
    Hey Rex. You ever carry an SP101 in a pocket? I'm still trying to figure out if that is a good idea.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey Rex. You ever carry an SP101 in a pocket? I'm still trying to figure out if that is a good idea.
    Yes, I have, using a Kramer pocket holster. but finding trousers with sufficiently voluminous pockets has become truly problematic. Now that I almost live in VertX pants, I have plenty of volume, except that the grip is not reliably concealed, due to the rear part of the front pocket being cut so low, so I have to wear a long cover garment. I had recently found a local place to try Duluth fire hose pants, but then this pandemic shut-down happened.

The only jeans that worked, for this, for me, were Diamond Gusset, but I was not impressed buy their longevity. That was some time ago, and I wonder if their pockets have gotten smaller, as seems to have become the style with other jeans.

Whether or not pocket carry is a “good idea,” or not, however, extends to the tactical aspect. When one is bent at the hip or waist, getting the weapon clear of the pocket can be problematic. Unless one can reliably anticipate trouble, pocket carry may not be the best place for one’s primary weapon.

Overall, a J-Frame, round-butt, with the classic 1-7/8” barrel, is a better pocket gun. The SP101 starts with a 2.25” barrel, and a longer, less-rounded grip.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Yes, I have, using a Kramer pocket holster. but finding trousers with sufficiently voluminous pockets has become truly problematic. Now that I almost live in VertX pants, I have plenty of volume, except that the grip is not reliably concealed, due to the rear part of the front pocket being cut so low, so I have to wear a long cover garment. I had recently found a local place to try Duluth fire hose pants, but then this pandemic shut-down happened.

The only jeans that worked, for this, for me, were Diamond Gusset, but I was not impressed buy their longevity. That was some time ago, and I wonder if their pockets have gotten smaller, as seems to have become the style with other jeans.

Whether or not pocket carry is a “good idea,” or not, however, extends to the tactical aspect. When one is bent at the hip or waist, getting the weapon clear of the pocket can be problematic. Unless one can reliably anticipate trouble, pocket carry may not be the best place for one’s primary weapon.

Overall, a J-Frame, round-butt, with the classic 1-7/8” barrel, is a better pocket gun. The SP101 starts with a 2.25” barrel, and a longer, less-rounded grip.
    Roger that. Pocket carry is certainly a compromise, but there are times it's the right thing for me. I'm going to replace my Smith 638 with something that has better sights. It really looks like the 640 Pro is going to be it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Roger that. Pocket carry is certainly a compromise, but there are times it's the right thing for me. I'm going to replace my Smith 638 with something that has better sights. It really looks like the 640 Pro is going to be it.
    For me, anything with greater than a 1 7/8" barrel leaves at least a hint of back strap visible under certain circumstances where the pocket flexes open a hair. Probably solvable with deeper pocketed pants but haven't been in a rush to change my wardrobe. Also probably too paranoid about other folks powers of observation :-)

User Tag List