Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver loadout?

Cool weather carry, which still has a month or two to go hereabouts, 4" GP100, .357, in a shoulder holster with 4 speedloaders under the off arm. In hot weather it's a SP101, same caliber, in a jeans pocket with a speed strip in an other pocket. When haying on a tractor in the summer, there's a tool box next to the seat that carries a 4" Security Six plus two speedloaders and a speed strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    The Match Champion is a nice gun, I thought too long about buying one of the 5” 10mm GP-100 guns that Ruger made, then they discontinued them after about fifteen minutes.

TK makes a thicker moonclip that allegedly help .40S&W fire reliably but since I don’t own a .40 it’s a moot point for my needs. 10mm is really a reloader’s cartridge and the revolver helps keep from losing 60% of your brass like from the semi.
    Really the warm 180gr or 200gr loadings are a different beast than .45acp +p stuff. Interesting enough I haven’t had problems with the 10mm bullets backing out under recoil like I encountered with my Scandi framed .45acp revolver.
    Yeah I've about given up on the .40 thing.

Just like the Sc/Ti .45, looked good on paper.

I wish Sierra woukd sell the 180 V crowns for reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by vtfarmer View Post
    Cool weather carry, which still has a month or two to go hereabouts, 4" GP100, .357, in a shoulder holster with 4 speedloaders under the off arm. In hot weather it's a SP101, same caliber, in a jeans pocket with a speed strip in an other pocket. When haying on a tractor in the summer, there's a tool box next to the seat that carries a 4" Security Six plus two speedloaders and a speed strip.
    Hey!

So it's been an open question for me whether an SP101 is too big for pocket carry. Can you share some details, like roughly how big of a person you are, what pants you find work well, and what holster?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey!

So it's been an open question for me whether an SP101 is too big for pocket carry. Can you share some details, like roughly how big of a person you are, what pants you find work well, and what holster?
    I'm 5' 7", 150 lbs. The SP101 is the 2 1/4" DAO spurless hammer. I wear jeans pretty much all the time. If making a run into town I stick in a front pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Given the size of the pocket the grip is barely inside, but I use a long waist tee shirt that covers 2/3 or more of the pocket. The holster gives it a rounded profile. So while a direct look would see something in the pocket, there isn't any hint as to what. And as common as it is at the current time to stick oversize smart phones in pockets, I've never had anyone look twice. That includes the barbershop and the dentist. On the other hand, working around the farm where concealment is less of an issue, I often stick it in a hip pocket.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vtfarmer View Post
    I'm 5' 7", 150 lbs. The SP101 is the 2 1/4" DAO spurless hammer. I wear jeans pretty much all the time. If making a run into town I stick in a front pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Given the size of the pocket the grip is barely inside, but I use a long waist tee shirt that covers 2/3 or more of the pocket. The holster gives it a rounded profile. So while a direct look would see something in the pocket, there isn't any hint as to what. And as common as it is at the current time to stick oversize smart phones in pockets, I've never had anyone look twice. That includes the barbershop and the dentist. On the other hand, working around the farm where concealment is less of an issue, I often stick it in a hip pocket.
    Wish Ruger would offer a six shot .38 +P rated SP101. I don't need or desire the .357 option.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Wish Ruger would offer a six shot .38 +P rated SP101. I don't need or desire the .357 option.
    Weren’t those called the Security and Speed Six?
    My second centerfire handgun was a 6” Security Six, I still have it. One of my regrets is not picking up a 2 3/4” Speed Six back in the day. You rarely see them where I live.

I carry too much stuff in my pockets to add a handgun in there. A friend had an SP101 sent off to a gunsmith. Added a nite sight, ported the top of the barrel, fancy laminate grips, action job and hammer bob. He spent more on upgrades than on the initial handgun. It was a sweet shooting little gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Weren’t those called the Security and Speed Six?
    My second centerfire handgun was a 6” Security Six, I still have it. One of my regrets is not picking up a 2 3/4” Speed Six back in the day. You rarely see them where I live.

I carry too much stuff in my pockets to add a handgun in there.
    The SP is comparable in size to the D frame Colts. The old Ruger Six series were comparable to the K Smiths.
    Those were popular private purchase revolvers for our jail deputies back in the '80s along with K and, later in the '80s, L frame Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    The SP is comparable in size to the D frame Colts. The old Ruger Six series were comparable to the K Smiths.
    Those were popular private purchase revolvers for our jail deputies back in the '80s along with K and, later in the '80s, L frame Smiths.
    There are still pretty good nick Speedies on gunbroker, but they'll run $400+ these days, which is insane to me.

I have the Colt New Cobra in two iterations: The 2017 stock and just picked up the Night Cobra. Love these Colts. Very accurate with better triggers than the originals, and I owned the originals. I also have a Kimber k6 2". It is a notch above the Colts but all are roughly the same size as the SP101 and they all carry six rounds and weigh in the 23-25oz range. None of them will do you wrong. My Kimber will fit into a Lobo Holster for a Smith 640Pro and the Colts ride in a Galco Combat Master made for an SP101, which I no longer have.

Hope this helps Deputy G23.

Tactical, naw but i live in a rural area and I'm a long time retired to still religiously goes to the range one day a week and works with at least one of my snubbys. They are just too portable and dirt simple to operate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    There are still pretty good nick Speedies on gunbroker, but they'll run $400+ these days, which is insane to me.
    Yep.
    Our folks used to buy them from Hub Uniforms in Richmond for $185.

User Tag List