Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Revolver loadout?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I had recently found a local place to try Duluth fire hose pants, but then this pandemic shut-down happened.
    The Duluth Firehose Cargo pants are awesome with many and deep pockets. My only real complaint would be 1) they can get hot in summer down here and 2) the darker colors will fade noticeably over time. They don't really stretch from wearing, so I normally find I like them one waist size larger than my other pants. The front pockets will fit a 3-4" medium frame revolver with compact grips, or a 2" medium frame with most any reasonable grips. The sorta work with 4" N Frames / Redhawks, but drawing quickly can be problematic. For me a DAO 2-3" k-frame is about the practical upper size limit for ease of access in the front pocket depending on grips and holster. I have an ugly but solid 4" S&W 12-3 that I am thinking of sending off to get the barrel chopped to 3" (really just because I think it would be cool) and then use it for pocket carry in these pants. I am also considering Semi-Fitzing an old 4" well used Official Police for that duty. It is NICE to have big front pockets.

The thigh pockets work great for most 2-3" revolvers and smallish autos up to say Glock 43 size. Weight becomes the main issue there. They will fit a Detonics Combat Master, but it ends up beating on the side of my knee. Autos much bigger than that may fit but print badly unless you have something in the pocket to break the outline of the holster.

I prefer a 2x2x2 belt pouch to a 'speed strip' myself and have several that were made by Lobo Gunleather for .32 mag, .38 and .44. I generally carry 2-3 speedloaders also, mostly a mix of Safariland Comp 3 (the go to first reload) and Comp 1s (extras for just in case).

I appreciate everyone’s input here. I started carrying a revolver but 35 years in semiauto centric LEO culture hadn’t left time to keep up with revolver tech.

I’m surprised that wadcutters are considered a carry load now, the amount of people using partially loaded speed strips and how popular J frame size snubbies are. I can’t argue with any of the above.

Thanks!

In 1991 thru 1997 I moonlighted armed security, and some posts mandated a revolver. A few required .38 spl revolver only, no 357s loaded with 38s.

When I carried my 357 M-19 I used 2 speedloaders (Safariland) on primary front of belt. These were usually Federal 125 grn 357s plus the revolver load with them. Behind the holster I had a double hinge drop pouch with 12 .38 Spl +P+ (Cor-Bon 115grn) in speed strips. I carried a Cobra 38 spl as a back up, and could also use them in the Model 19 if needed.

Naturally if I was on the 38 post the M-15 was loaded with 38 and the 2 front speedloaders were stuffed with 38s.

Looking back, being a 21 year old rookie paramedic AND a newlywed maybe wasn't the brightest idea I had.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As an aside, check out this retro-inspired trigger guard index:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    As an aside, check out this retro-inspired trigger guard index:
    Is there a story behind that cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Is there a story behind that cover?
    No story beyond this: not many folks make *kydex* (not "index;" got bit by latent autocorrect again) for the new cobras. One place that does, Pitalo’s kydex, has an alarming number of non-standard color/pattern skews, including not one, but two version of "comic" print. The old detective special always seemed to feature prominently during the golden age of comics, so it seemed apropos.

User Tag List