Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver loadout?

3" 64-5 or 2.5" 66-2 in a Lobo Leather offset belt clip. The M-64 loaded with Federal GMM wadcutters, the M-66 with Winchester STHPs.

With slightly oversized belt & britches, it carries in AIWB comfort all day long.

Out in the boonies I switch to a 4" 66-7 with handloaded Remington 158 SJHP over 17 grains of Lil Gun in a Garrett Industries OWB.

Back in the day when I spent every weekend and many weekdays
    out in the brush, it was with a 4" 24-3 stoked with 7.5 Unique and an LBT 44-280-WFN. I didn't own a chono but I think it clocked about 900 fps, maybe a bit less.

The boolits were water-quenched wheelweights, and I suspect that load would've penetrated a brahman bull end-to-end.

The neighbors thought I was nuts, but I was well-prepared to handle any buffalo that crossed my trail.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I qualified for LEOSA (retired) with the 10mm GP-100 since it’s adequately powerful, slick to reload, and not a semiauto. I also have a card for the 9mm Ruger Commander.

Do you carry reloads for yours? Or is the 442 a NY reload for the M64?
    I was editing the post to answer your question when you posted.
    I do carry at least one reload per firearm. Revolvers get two. Glock gets one.
    If I carried my 1911s, they would get two.
    Mine are all .45 with ordinary seven round mags and shot exclusively with ball ammo.
    Once I ever retire and not obligated to Austrian Tupperware, I intend to get proficient with them and vet them for carry with proper premium HP ammo.
    The 10mm GP is starting to interest me since I recently bought a bike trailer full of gun accessories and reloading gear from an estate which contained hundreds of primed 10mm cases and probably 2K projectiles.
    What do you carry in yours and how are the moon clips holding up?
    I have no experience with moon clip fed revolvers.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 03-26-2020 at 05:54 AM.

Name:  5603932A-D3F4-4BCC-9D08-426FD2E214B5.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  69.8 KB
    So far retirement is a wonderful thing, if you can let go. Most LEOs can’t, that’s why we hit 65 and die off.

I previously owned a S&W Night Guard Scandium N frame in .45acp , loved the concept, disliked the revolver.
    I bought a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm since I love that cartridge then later picked up the GP-100 on a whim. It’s an accurate little cannon. When in a revolver frame of mind I have been carrying it in a Simply Rugged pancake holster with an extra moonclip in a Simply Rugged pouch and a six round .38 Speed Strip with six extra 10mm rounds in a pouch from SR. If I’m wearing a jacket or vest I’ll weight the right hand side with an extra full moonclip. JM Custom sent my OWB-1 this week which kind of launched this thread. I can IWB a 1911 or Glock, too much girth in a revolver for my comfort.

The moonclips that Ruger supplies work for range use since you can load/unload them without tools but they don’t hang on to the cartridges well enough for pocket carry. Someone on some forum enlightened me about the Ranch Products moonclips designed for the .40 S&W 646 and they work perfectly though a mooning / demooning tool saves on finger wear.

For social carry I normally use the SIG 180gr V Crown or my own 180gr Gold Dot over enough BE-86 for 1,205fps load. FWIW the 5” SR1911 hits 1,250fps with that load so the GP isn’t giving up much in its 3” barrel. I also cast a 200gr wfn NOE designed bullet that is extremely accurate, goes 1,150fps and penetrates 8 gallon water jugs at 10 yards.
    Last edited by Rick R; 03-26-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: 2nd cup of coffee

Site Supporter
    Name:  5603932A-D3F4-4BCC-9D08-426FD2E214B5.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  69.8 KB
    So far retirement is a wonderful thing, if you can let go. Most LEOs can’t, that’s why we hit 65 and die off.

I previously owned a S&W Night Guard Scandium N frame in .45acp , loved the concept, disliked the revolver.
    I bought a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm since I love that cartridge then later picked up the GP-100 on a whim. It’s an accurate little cannon. When in a revolver frame of mind I have been carrying it in a Simply Rugged pancake holster with an extra moonclip in a Simply Rugged pouch and a six round .38 Speed Strip with six extra 10mm rounds in a pouch from SR. If I’m wearing a jacket or vest I’ll weight the right hand side with an extra full moonclip. JM Custom sent my OWB-1 this week which kind of launched this thread. I can IWB a 1911 or Glock, too much girth in a revolver for my comfort.

The moonclips that Ruger supplies work for range use since you can load/unload them without tools but they don’t hang on to the cartridges well enough for pocket carry. Someone on some forum enlightened me about the Ranch Products moonclips designed for the .40 S&W 646 and they work perfectly though a mooning / demooning tool saves on finger wear.

For social carry I normally use the SIG 180gr V Crown or my own 180gr Gold Dot over enough BE-86 for 1,205fps load. FWIW the 5” SR1911 hits 1,250fps with that load so the GP isn’t giving up much in its 3” barrel. I also cast a 200gr wfn NOE designed bullet that is extremely accurate, goes 1,150fps and penetrates 8 gallon water jugs at 10 yards.
    Thanks!
    BE-86 is my go to powder for handgun loads.
    Works very well in 9mm through .45 plus 38 standard pressure loads that mimic +P velocity with a 158 grain lead bullet.
    Am now testing the remainder of a three pound can of WSF in .40 loads that came with the estate buy.
    I have a ton of powders now to play with..

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I was editing the post to answer your question when you posted.
    I do carry at least one reload per firearm. Revolvers get two. Glock gets one.
    If I carried my 1911s, they would get two.
    Mine are all .45 with ordinary seven round mags and shot exclusively with ball ammo.
    Once I ever retire and not obligated to Austrian Tupperware, I intend to get proficient with them and vet them for carry with proper premium HP ammo.
    The 10mm GP is starting to interest me since I recently bought a bike trailer full of gun accessories and reloading gear from an estate which contained hundreds of primed 10mm cases and probably 2K projectiles.
    What do you carry in yours and how are the moon clips holding up?
    I have no experience with moon clip fed revolvers.
    I have the 4" MC.

The factory moons are a bit flimsy IMO and won't pop .40s reliably. On the plus side, the only tools required are a finger & thumb.

I bought the expensive TKs until discovering the ranch products moons for the 646 work just as well and cost way less.

I swapped for this revolver to have a gun I could run in IDPA and pack in the field to handle feral hogs.

Thus far accuracy with .40 ammo is underwhelming. I think the short case combined with running .401 cast bullets through .402 throats is making this a non-starter.

The only 10mm I've shot is cheap practice stuff, and I haven't shot it from the bench yet.

A 625 PC is pulling ahead in the race for a gun to fill this role.

Now I'm starting to think why not a 1911, if I can get used to the two-stage recoil.

The Match Champion is a nice gun, I thought too long about buying one of the 5” 10mm GP-100 guns that Ruger made, then they discontinued them after about fifteen minutes.

TK makes a thicker moonclip that allegedly help .40S&W fire reliably but since I don’t own a .40 it’s a moot point for my needs. 10mm is really a reloader’s cartridge and the revolver helps keep from losing 60% of your brass like from the semi.
    Really the warm 180gr or 200gr loadings are a different beast than .45acp +p stuff. Interesting enough I haven’t had problems with the 10mm bullets backing out under recoil like I encountered with my Scandi framed .45acp revolver.

My only real revolver carry anymore is for the NPE situations. A 642 or Colt Agent in a Galco bellyband, tucked shirt. 2 speed strips configured 2x2. All ammo is BuffalloBore 110gr standard pressure Barnes all copper HP's

At least 3 speedloaders for me (4" N frame all day every day), because groups of feral dogs just won't, stand, still.
    And one instance years ago of having an empty gun and no more ammo close by, that did it for me.

Some times a 1911 in addition to a revolver, with 2 spare mags.

I think the saying is “You can’t have too much ammo” “(unless you’re swimming or on fire)”

Packs of dogs sounds like a good time to accessorize the N frame with a 1894 Marlin...

I think the saying is “You can’t have too much ammo” “(unless you’re swimming or on fire)”

Packs of dogs sounds like a good time to accessorize the N frame with a 1894 Marlin...
    That's a good suggestion, I carry around a IMI Timberwolf in .44 mag, tube capacity is 10 rounds.
    I agree with the "too much ammo" phrase. I work out of my truck and would hate to guess how many rounds are in it at any given time

User Tag List