20 45.45%
  • steel clip

19 43.18%
  • split loop

4 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holster clips, loops or what

holster clips, loops or what

I'm on the verge of ordering a JM custom Kydex IWB 3 light bearing holster. I have a box full of holsters like many of you but on the order page for this holster there are many options for clip, fixed soft loop, pull the dot, split loop, steel clip. I didn't know there were so many options for clips. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these loop vs steel clips? What do you prefer?

I prefer any three of the above, depending upon context. I would use any of them, if it met the need of a particular situation.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I'm not gonna vote because I think they each have their place. I have a couple that have clips that I use when I know I will be doffing and donning a lot and others that have fixed loops that I know I will wear for an extended period of time. I have one with pull the dot snaps that I will most likely change over to discreet carry clips because it doesn't stay put as well but it is for an all steel 1911.

I'm a big fan of pull-the-dot in general, but sometimes it doesn't hide as well under some clothing...so I'm leaning toward DCC clips for a handful of holsters. In fact, I have three of the new Monoblocks coming in today.

That said, I don't carry IWB...only AIWB. If I were to again carry IWB, I'd need something I could easily reach and work with without being too much of a struggle or pain for my right shoulder which has some rotator cuff mobility issues. Ease of use and security would be the two essentials.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Actually I have an IWB 3 15 degree cant wide spaced hole pattern holster in bound from Tony for my G19 this week. I ordered it with PTD loops.

I have a fixed hard loop on my RCS Perun, which is a bit of a pain to thread through each time. There is a steel clip on the DSG holster I have for my LCR that I use for the gym. It's ok but hard to get on and off.

So out of the choices I voted for PTD. Easy on and off on belt in situ, and won't come loose.

Site Supporter
    Assuming well-designed PTD loops such as you get from JMCK, I think PTD is the best option. It is unlikely that movement or contact with furniture, walls, and so forth will unsnap one, let alone, both loops. The holster may rotate somewhat with your movements, but mot enough to compromise presentation.

That said, clips have greater convenience in mounting and dismounting the holsters. It seems, however, that sooner or later, you will find that the clip has climbed up onto your belt and the holster is primarily secured by pressure rather than an attachment. Nonetheless, I do have various clip-on holsters, but prefer my JMCK PTD holster for most uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpphoto View Post
    I'm on the verge of ordering a JM custom Kydex IWB 3 light bearing holster. I have a box full of holsters like many of you but on the order page for this holster there are many options for clip, fixed soft loop, pull the dot, split loop, steel clip. I didn't know there were so many options for clips. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these loop vs steel clips? What do you prefer?
    Jharpphoto, you can eliminate some of these if you don't want to have to thread your belt through the loops to put the holster on. The fixed loop options are the split loop and fixed soft loops. If that is something that you want then I think the split loop is bomb proof, keeps the cant in place and will break (haven't had that happen to any of our injection molded ones yet)
    before it comes off your belt.

As others have said, the pull the dot loops offer the best solution for not having to thread your holster on and off, yet are stable and easy to use. One thing that some may not realize, with todays proliferation of thinner nylon belts, the pull the dot loops can be "snugged up" around the belt by dropping down a hole (all pull the dot loops come with 3 holes in them for 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" belts) which will also increase stability. The wider the spread of the loops, the more stable and less rotational movement you will have. They will also not hang up on you cover garment when you clear it to draw.

As for the clips, the steel one is the better of the bunch as clips go (but the DCC Monoblock will outclass it I am pretty sure) however the clips have a HUGE hole in them. They are so easy to put on your belt (simply slide them over your belt by pulling up on the finger tab and then release when the inside tooth goes over the belt) that they will easily come off your belt at the most inopportune time. examples of this may be a car wreck, a wrestling match on the street, your kid crawling up your leg, etc.. The plastic one will wear out over time as well and start to grip even less. The new DCC Monoblock is probably going to be the best of the breed for this type by far, however it will still let the grip rotate somewhat (some appendix users like the rotational part as it makes the holster move with you somewhat, I have yet to find a strong side IWB user (myself) who likes rotational movement with their holster)

I actually get this question at least once every couple days from a customer calling in and always tell them that if you don't want to thread it on and off your belt, go with the widest hole pattern and pull the dot loops and adjust them to your belt.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

For my use, the steel clips barely edge out the PTD soft loops. DSG AIWB.

For my current NPE carry, the DCC behind the belt clips have offered a solution to a problem that I have been struggling with for years.

Site Supporter
    I've got three IWB#3s and they all have PTD loops because the widest spacing he offers only comes with the PTD loops. Since not all the belt loops on my pants are in the same place, it gives me a little leeway in positioning the holster.

V Dev Gru just released this:

https://vdevgru.com/products/monoblock-gear-clip-1-5

I am pretty excited to try it since the discrete carry clips work so well, but do not have an option for the JMCK AIWB. Plus, this looks lower profile than the split loop or soft loops. It might even work with sweat pants...

User Tag List