Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Clippers, guards, and such.

RFI: Clippers, guards, and such.

So, what do the fine folks here on the forum advise for home brew hair cutting?
    I normally have a flat top, but right now I look like an AWOL troop out of basic who's been on the lamb for 6 months.
    As much as I hate to, I'm going to have to let the wife around my head with sharp, stabby, clippy things.

What do I need to accomplish this? Clippers, which guards?(pretty sure my barber uses a 0 on the sides?)
    Hints?
    Tricks?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    So, what do the fine folks here on the forum advise for home brew hair cutting?
    I normally have a flat top, but right now I look like an AWOL troop out of basic who's been on the lamb for 6 months.
    As much as I hate to, I'm going to have to let the wife around my head with sharp, stabby, clippy things.

What do I need to accomplish this? Clippers, which guards?(pretty sure my barber uses a 0 on the sides?)
    Hints?
    Tricks?
    I have one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norel...102601&sr=8-37

I purchased this for trimming my beard. My wife just buzzed my hair at about 1/8" with these clippers. Works really well and has a lot of guards. Small head to get into the tight spots. Take the guard off to trim your neck and around your ears. Or you can just go to Mexico and have them do it for six bucks. You could probably do a package deal for forty. I don't think social distancing is a thing there yet. Vamonos.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-24-2020 at 09:38 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I'll take the package deal for forty, Alex.

En camino
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Oster 76

https://www.amazon.com/OSTER-Classic.../dp/B00070E8LA

I have used one of these for about 20 years, cutting hair for myself and four sons. They are rebuildable, and have numerous blade options. They are not cheap, but can last a lifetime.

We have Wahls which we use for dog, cat, RevolverRob, mohair jackets, shag carpets, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Grooming-husb...112474&sr=8-17

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    When my son was about 10 years old, I gave him a buzz cut with clippers like these. I cut everything to the same very short length. There were no gouges or places that I had obviously missed, but I didn’t know that you have to taper the sides and edges a bit, even on a buzz cut. He looked like a dandelion for about a week, then he started to look like a hillbilly axe murderer. His mother took him to a barbershop and got it fixed, but put her foot down on barracks haircuts after that.

In a crisis, we don't rise to the occasion, we sink to the level of our training. I didn't have any and it showed.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I haven't been to a barber in at least a decade. I buzz my hair once a week with a clippers. It's beautiful thing! I haven't needed a hair brush or a comb since forever. No hat head either!

I'll probably give myself a do in the next week or two.

Today would have been my in-town appointment, (every six weeks), to get my clipper cut with a #1 all around. Guess I might as well try out these clippers I've owned for years. I doubt my wife will want to do it for me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    In a crisis, we don't rise to the occasion, we sink to the level of our training. I didn't have any and it showed.
    I love this. It makes me smile so much.

So much so, it's going in my signature, with attribution of course, as long as you don't object.

User Tag List