Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Revolver edumacation

Quote Originally Posted by BarryinIN View Post
    I won’t begin to try to explain it, but many soon-to-be shooters (not just women) often seem to be surprised by what a gun weighs. It’s not always a matter of strength; I think they just didn’t expect it and it comes almost as a shock.
    I have had that exact experience, lighter than a cast iron skillet, but surprising. I can remember one equestrian exclaiming how heavy and LCR was, and I replied "You can saddle a horse, how much does a saddle weigh?"

Site Supporter
    Back when I was teaching handgun self-defense I frequently had husband & wife couples show up. Three or four times in 10 years of doing that they would proudly show me their new home defense gun. This was before Ruger even thought about the LCR so frequently it was a J-frame ultra light. The husbands explained they looked at several revolvers and they were all too heavy for the wife. But she liked this one.

When it came to the range day the ladies would fire one round of the +P 38 Special ammo the dealer sold them and either drop the gun (that happened once) or had the gun to their husband after he rushed up in response to her screams. If I could get her to try again I would hand her my 22/45 Ruger, kept around for such problems. The wife almost always loved shooting the Ruger and told hubby to trade "that thing" on one of these.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    How do they shoot our of the LCR (mine is a .38)? I would imagine they are a bit stout? I'm mentally comparing to Federal GMM WCs, which I know are not very warm. I have size M hands. Thanks sidhe.
    Mine is almost an exact duplicate of yours, Rich; original recipe .38 with only the addition of a big dot front sight. I’m also pretty squarely in "medium guy" territory.

Straight up: those GDHPs are stout in this gun. I’m good for about 4 cylinders before I’m ready to be done, regardless of whether I do a few more for, say, a mini-dot torture or not. The same 135 GDHPs out of the night cobra are sporty and fun, and they’re pretty tame out of a K-frame. They are accurate, and seem to speedload well, despite a fat hollow point. I like them, but they are a handful in a 13.5oz LCR. Not as much as Remington’s FBI load though.

Completely different ballpark than target wadcutters, as one would expect.

My choice in unicorn guns would be a S&W Model 12 with round butt and a 3” barrel and Novak sights.
    Not just yes, but hell yes. I’d still be shooting my old M12 if it had modern sights on it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

You can always go with Boris' "heavy is good, heavy is reliable" speech from "Snatch".

On my 'just because/ missing heritage' list, I'm wanting a S&W triple lock .32-20. My grandfather had one, and sadly, it rusted away in my grandma's sock drawer and got tossed when she died.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My choice in unicorn guns would be a S&W Model 12 with round butt and a 3” barrel and Novak sights. It should be light enough to meet their expectations, and what extra weight there is would be out front where it would help. The round butt frame would allow stock choices to fit anyone.
    There are a bunch of us here who would buy a 315 if S&W ever built them again. 576 units in 2008 isn't really a test of the concept, if anyone at S&W is listening. So give the economy a couple years to recover before you try that again. Don't need the same mistake twice.

Or, you could take a chance on a Taurus...

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/r...e-stainless-3/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Back when I was teaching handgun self-defense I frequently had husband & wife couples show up. Three or four times in 10 years of doing that they would proudly show me their new home defense gun. This was before Ruger even thought about the LCR so frequently it was a J-frame ultra light. The husbands explained they looked at several revolvers and they were all too heavy for the wife. But she liked this one.

When it came to the range day the ladies would fire one round of the +P 38 Special ammo the dealer sold them and either drop the gun (that happened once) or had the gun to their husband after he rushed up in response to her screams. If I could get her to try again I would hand her my 22/45 Ruger, kept around for such problems. The wife almost always loved shooting the Ruger and told hubby to trade "that thing" on one of these.

Dave
    A few years ago, I took a friend shooting. That was enough to get him and his wife to sign up for an intro class together. She tried a .22 and didn't like it; it was too weak. She thought the G19 was just right, apparently.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List