Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver edumacation

Site Supporter
    Classic arms had then listed as out of stock as of a month or so ago. I guess to be ready when they actually get some of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Given your ...
    Seems reasonable, and looks like everyone who posted after you agrees.

Thanks, folks, I got the idea.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Hammertime
    I know jack about revolvers. I actually hate them. But they are incredibly easy to teach a weak young lady how to load and unload. Article below:
    https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...lapse-scenario

I would recommend the Smith and Wesson “K-Frame” with a four inch barrel as a good place to start. K-frame models like the model 10, 15, 19, 64, 65, and 66 were the standard law enforcement sidearm in the USA up until the early 1990s. They are reasonably powerful, very reliable, and quite easy to shoot well. If you don’t care that the gun has a worn finish, you can still find former police trade-in guns available on the online gun auction sites for around $300 or less.
    The Ruger GP-100, Security Six, Speed Six, and SP101 would be good choices as well.”

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    "Reasonably concealable" in this context sounds like a holster gun, which opens us up to the world of 3 inch guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    LCRX - preferably 3” barrel.
    I was going to toss out the suggestion of the LCRx 3" in 22mag.

Obviously has some shortcomings, is not optimal, but is still only 17.8oz, you pick up an extra round, ammo is still maybe available (22mag seemed to stay on the shelf throughout the last panic) and is not cheap but is typically cheaper than 38. Still has the negatives of a rimfire but probably manageable recoil for the target (I crack myself up...) demographic.

We all tend to point to target wadcutters as the go-to ammo for this application, but right now the cupboard is probably going to be bare for a while. Using Lucky Gunner as reference, there are no available 38WC options but several 22mag options, including CCI at $.28 per round.

Site Supporter
    I know we are talking revolvers, but I think the glock 42 is great pistol, pretty easy to use and recoil is manageable IMO.
    Granted the user interface is not as easy as a revolver but pretty darn close.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    We all tend to point to target wadcutters as the go-to ammo for this application, but right now the cupboard is probably going to be bare for a while. Using Lucky Gunner as reference, there are no available 38WC options but several 22mag options, including CCI at $.28 per round.
    Fyi... Targetsports is showing .38spl FGMM wadcutters in stock right now, albeit with a 15 day shipping delay, though I expect you'll find that anywhere.

.38spl anything in my model 13 feels like cheating and I'd rather forfeit a round then go .22mag.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I know we are talking revolvers, but I think the glock 42 is great pistol, pretty easy to use and recoil is manageable IMO.
    Granted the user interface is not as easy as a revolver but pretty darn close.

It's an easy gun to shoot but simplified admin handling (loading, unloading etc) is what makes revolvers the go to for non gun people who are gonna treat it like the fire extinguisher in their kitchen, not shoot-ability.

"First do no harm" is not just for medical intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    .38spl anything in my model 13 feels like cheating and I'd rather forfeit a round then go .22mag.
    Yes, I agree, the 2.75" M66 would be my choice of current production offerings in that realm. Just that we are living in crazy times (again) and I am throwing out options. There might be an LCRx in the case and 22mag sitting on the shelf next to it that might get a new shooter into the arena.

Site Supporter
    In discussing the intended use, I would point out that 85% of all attacks occur outside the home. So, persuading the new shooter to give serious consideration to that issue is of importance.

While you may or may not persuade a new shooter that she needs to carry, you will not persuade her to alter fashion choices, and that mode of dress is not going to make hiding the gun easy. Size and weight of the gun are critical.

I would estimate that about 40% of the new female shooters I have introduced to shooting had difficulty with trigger pulls of 9 lb. or more. That is before getting into those with hand or wrist problems. A reasonable trigger is important.

With this in mind, I would second the recommendation of a Glock 42. If a revolver is to be chosen, I would suggest a Ruger LCR in .38 spl. to keep the weight minimized as well as to have an easy trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Most of the time a neophyte asks for first pistol advice, when I ask them if they want to carry it they hem and haw a maybe. What I smell is "hell yes but I'm not a paranoid fraidy cat".

I say if you think you might, even someday, then start on the smaller side. G19s are great but learning to EDC one is another hobby unto it's own. If they dig shooting get a 2nd more shootable model. If they don't start small there is very little chance they are carrying anytime soon. I've long rejected the approach to start with the full size easier to shoot. Wrong context.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List