Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver edumacation

3" K frame, .38 Special would be my 1st choice
    Ruger LCR in .38 with CT grips my 2nd choice, just seems to shoot a little softer than a comparable J Frame. Perhaps the 3" model would be best.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Given your parameters, you are looking for a unicorn.
    Definitely this, for the reasons that others have stated.

When I worked on indoor ranges, I found that you have to position certain things about shooting differently for novice females than for novice males. First off, don't assume that whoever you're talking to will carry concealed. Ask instead. Posters here are all about EDC/military/LE weapons and sometimes we forget that others aren't. A few minutes spent firming up possible use cases is good for any new shooter, but especially so for women because it shows that you're focused on what she needs, not what you want her to have. Basic sales stuff.

Handgun weight is another issue. When you talk to a woman about what kind of gun she wants, often the first criteria that she lists will be a light weight. (I think that's because women lug tons of shit around all the time and they look at weight like extreme backpackers do.) I NEVER saw a novice male balk at the weight of guns like a Smith Model 10, but about 80% of women would literally put them right back on the counter and ask for something lighter. One of the older salesmen taught me to say something like, "This seems heavy but it's like that for a reason" THEN hand it to her THEN start talking about how weight helps with recoil. If she objects and you persist, well, women get that treatment from men 24/7/365 and everything else you say or do will be viewed through that lens.

From there, you can frame the discussion in terms of her stated use case and help her get what she really needs.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    3" K frame, .38 Special would be my 1st choice
    Ruger LCR in .38 with CT grips my 2nd choice, just seems to shoot a little softer than a comparable J Frame. Perhaps the 3" model would be best.
    The .357 LCR has the steel frame for a bit more weight, a bit more comfortable to shoot. It's actually a bit heavier than the 3" LCRx. Just load it with mild .38s.

The 3" LCRx does have different sights than the 2" versions. Having a hammer has pros and cons for defensive use.

And they are easy to dry fire to strengthen your hand and trigger finger.

I agree, K-Frame, SP101, or steel J-Frame with wadcutters.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Given your parameters, you are looking for a unicorn. The current crop of 9mm revolvers is three or four large frame competition oriented revolvers, and one Ruger LCR in 9mm which is certainly not easier to shoot than a j-frame. .38 Special ammo is reasonably affordable, so practice ammo won't break the bank once this is over. Plus, a .38 Special revolver eliminates the need for moonclips, which a 9mm revolver requires to function. Third, a steel framed j-frame in .38 Special firing 148gr lead wadcutters is actually quite pleasant to shoot, even for a neophyte.

"Reasonably concealable" in this context sounds like a holster gun, which opens us up to the world of 3 inch guns, like the S&W Model 60 Pro Series or the Ruger SP101 3 inch with Novak sights. If you really want to keep it as simple as possible, the 2.25 inch DAO SP101 would be my choice. Steel frame = heavier, so felt recoil is minimized, and with 130gr FMJ for practice and 148 wadcutters for carry it's easy to shoot.
    +1

I've been in YVK's shoes a couple times where the simple manual of arms of the wheelie was very much preferred. Each case settled on an J frame (it was pre-LCR). One steel, one an Airweight. Both women shoot them effectively in the context of their use case. And the context is everything.

I want to carry a service pistol to feel like I can do what I can with what I got in damn near any outlier incident. Win lose or draw.

These women's use case was basically to peel a criminal off at very close range. And LCR would be top of my list if carrying it was desirable.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The SP101 is a winner in this category. They will have a solid gun they’ll never wear out, and if they’re smart enough to listen to advice and never put a magnum in it and just run wadcutters, they’ll have a gun that’s easy to shoot and not be afraid of.

A middle aged former co-worker has one her husband bought for her. She didn’t like shooting it and told me she couldn’t hit anything with it. I made her up some light easy kicking .38spc loads and all of a sudden she could hit anything she wanted with it and started really liking her revolver. Then she showed me the rounds her husband put in it: full-house magnums. SMH. She keeps it loaded with some standard pressure .38s now and is proficient with it.

GP100...mmmmm....

Name:  1771.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  18.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

And the context is everything.
    This bears repeating.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    GP100...mmmmm....

Name:  1771.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  18.4 KB
    Sure, a great choice if upper body strength and hand size are adequate for it.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If it's going to be a nightstand gun, a good used 4" Model 10 is a reasonable choice.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Any word on if the Rock Island branded Czechpoint revolvers are any good?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List