Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Revolver edumacation

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I use 130gr American Eagle FMJ out of a GP100 all the time. It barely moves the gun, and it's really quite pleasant to shoot. I shot my 148gr wadcutters out of it and I swear I legit giggled at how little recoil there was.
    2.5gr Bullseye under a 105gr RNL in a 6” N frame is ... hilarious. It’s like shooting a 3# .22.

So...would this be an "acceptable" SD load for a GP100?

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spee...1-p-54163.aspx

Name:  speer.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  24.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Better than acceptable for SD in a GP100 -- .38+P Gold Dot Short Barrel is an excellent choice.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Yeah, that's good poop right there. Also, if you're not concerned about intermediate barrier penetration, the old FBI load, 158 gr lead semiwadcutter hollowpoints has put a lot of very naughty men into very permanent graves.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Holding out for the 3-in half lug later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Better than acceptable for SD in a GP100 -- .38+P Gold Dot Short Barrel is an excellent choice.
    You could even say it's the Gold Standard.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

A number of years back, someone gave a lady friend of mine a nice pre Model 19 4".
    She wanted to go shoot it, so I found a box of wadcutters- which she found to be delightful and easy to shoot.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have 10 rounds (LCR+speedloader) on me now, FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Given your parameters, you are looking for a unicorn. The current crop of 9mm revolvers is three or four large frame competition oriented revolvers, and one Ruger LCR in 9mm which is certainly not easier to shoot than a j-frame. .38 Special ammo is reasonably affordable, so practice ammo won't break the bank once this is over. Plus, a .38 Special revolver eliminates the need for moonclips, which a 9mm revolver requires to function. Third, a steel framed j-frame in .38 Special firing 148gr lead wadcutters is actually quite pleasant to shoot, even for a neophyte.

"Reasonably concealable" in this context sounds like a holster gun, which opens us up to the world of 3 inch guns, like the S&W Model 60 Pro Series or the Ruger SP101 3 inch with Novak sights. If you really want to keep it as simple as possible, the 2.25 inch DAO SP101 would be my choice. Steel frame = heavier, so felt recoil is minimized, and with 130gr FMJ for practice and 148 wadcutters for carry it's easy to shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Light .38s in a revolver like the GP100 or an N frame are a major hoot. +P .38s are not even a big deal.
    I use 130gr American Eagle FMJ out of a GP100 all the time. It barely moves the gun, and it's really quite pleasant to shoot. I shot my 148gr wadcutters out of it and I swear I legit giggled at how little recoil there was.
    For a novice gun owner who isn't going to be "into" guns, an SP101 and Winchester's Train and Defend ammo combo would be an "easy button" option.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    The last couple of times someone asked me what gun they should get, I answered that there were many good options, and the question requiring more thought and experimentation is what holster to get for that gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Fuuuuu...
    Oh man, I love the SP101 with .38 and tolerate it with .357. The 9mm may be the perfect revolver(for me).

User Tag List