Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver edumacation

Revolver edumacation

With current events there has been an increasing number of request at work to "tell me what and how to". A lot of those come from women who's projected dedication to learning the skills I would estimate at above zero but likely well below average of those who posts here. I remember looking into this subject before and it seemed then that a revolver was a common recommendation for this segment of users. I am trying to figure what revolver to recommend, should they arrive to that choice. It seems like it should be reasonably concealable but a lot more shootable than a J frame, and probably chambered in 9 mm if there was any hope that they will be able to afford practice ammo when prices returned to normal.
    What am I looking for?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Given your parameters, you are looking for a unicorn. The current crop of 9mm revolvers is three or four large frame competition oriented revolvers, and one Ruger LCR in 9mm which is certainly not easier to shoot than a j-frame. .38 Special ammo is reasonably affordable, so practice ammo won't break the bank once this is over. Plus, a .38 Special revolver eliminates the need for moonclips, which a 9mm revolver requires to function. Third, a steel framed j-frame in .38 Special firing 148gr lead wadcutters is actually quite pleasant to shoot, even for a neophyte.

"Reasonably concealable" in this context sounds like a holster gun, which opens us up to the world of 3 inch guns, like the S&W Model 60 Pro Series or the Ruger SP101 3 inch with Novak sights. If you really want to keep it as simple as possible, the 2.25 inch DAO SP101 would be my choice. Steel frame = heavier, so felt recoil is minimized, and with 130gr FMJ for practice and 148 wadcutters for carry it's easy to shoot.

I keep hoping for a Kimber K6 variant in 9mm. If they made the cylinder and frame window size appropriate, even better...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Given your parameters, you are looking for a unicorn. The current crop of 9mm revolvers is three or four large frame competition oriented revolvers, and one Ruger LCR in 9mm which is certainly not easier to shoot than a j-frame. .38 Special ammo is reasonably affordable, so practice ammo won't break the bank once this is over. Plus, a .38 Special revolver eliminates the need for moonclips, which a 9mm revolver requires to function. Third, a steel framed j-frame in .38 Special firing 148gr lead wadcutters is actually quite pleasant to shoot, even for a neophyte.

"Reasonably concealable" in this context sounds like a holster gun, which opens us up to the world of 3 inch guns, like the S&W Model 60 Pro Series or the Ruger SP101 3 inch with Novak sights. If you really want to keep it as simple as possible, the 2.25 inch DAO SP101 would be my choice. Steel frame = heavier, so felt recoil is minimized, and with 130gr FMJ for practice and 148 wadcutters for carry it's easy to shoot.
    +1 for the 38 special. Ammo is still available, and it's not all that expensive. And with wadcutters, they may actually hit something.

For gun nerds like us I'd scour gunbroker for Model 64 snubs, but for who you're asking for I'd say they're probably better off buying new than inspecting a used gun of who knows what vintage. SP101 is a great recommendation, I'd recommend a Colt Cobra too if they're willing to spend the extra money (1 extra round is 1 extra round).

But honestly if it's probably going to spend its life in a sock drawer and it's more about "feeling safe having a gun" than actually getting out an using one, save the money and get the SP101. If they get more into self defense they'll probably move on from either option to something like a Shield or a P365. And if they don't, it probably won't make much of a difference anyway vs the Cobra.

Actually forget that. I want more cheap, pre-owned but not used Cobras out there. Tell them to buy Cobras. Tell everyone to buy Cobras.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

Quick clarification: Ruger also makes the 2.25" SP101 in 9mm. So far as I know, it’s still listed and available.

That said, I’m with Caleb: .38 spec, all the way, for new shooters. I bought 1k rounds of 130gr fmj for something like 219 before the panic broke out. An SP of either common length with Novaks is a solid option. Plus, an ass-ton of readily available support gear makes it full of win, even over my own preferred 6-round hotness options.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    The SP101 is a winner in this category. They will have a solid gun they’ll never wear out, and if they’re smart enough to listen to advice and never put a magnum in it and just run wadcutters, they’ll have a gun that’s easy to shoot and not be afraid of.

A middle aged former co-worker has one her husband bought for her. She didn’t like shooting it and told me she couldn’t hit anything with it. I made her up some light easy kicking .38spc loads and all of a sudden she could hit anything she wanted with it and started really liking her revolver. Then she showed me the rounds her husband put in it: full-house magnums. SMH. She keeps it loaded with some standard pressure .38s now and is proficient with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    With current events there has been an increasing number of request at work to "tell me what and how to". A lot of those come from women who's projected dedication to learning the skills I would estimate at above zero but likely well below average of those who posts here. I remember looking into this subject before and it seemed then that a revolver was a common recommendation for this segment of users. I am trying to figure what revolver to recommend, should they arrive to that choice. It seems like it should be reasonably concealable but a lot more shootable than a J frame, and probably chambered in 9 mm if there was any hope that they will be able to afford practice ammo when prices returned to normal.
    What am I looking for?
    Put me in the 38 Camp as well. 9mm is a bit snappier in revolvers without the operation of a slide to dump some energy and moon clips add complexity which kind of defeats the purpose of the simpler admin handling. 38 may also be more available than 9mm due to lower demand. 9mm revolvers are a gun nerd gun.

S&W J/kL frames - steel frame and greater than 2” barrel, 3” and up is better.

Ruger SP101, LCR, LCRX - preferably 3” barrel.

The Kimber and Colt revolvers, preferably in 3”

Site Supporter
    Ruger SP101 or the Kimber K6 or maybe a Colt Cobra if they don't suck.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

9mm also has more muzzle blast than 38 Special which zi have found to distract or outright rattle some new shooters. Particularly those already anxious about the whole gun thing. The lack of mooning and demooning ammo may encourage .ore practice with a .38 than a more involved 9mm as a possible bonus.

If we include .32 options and want tiny plus light weight, a bit of 32 S&W Long is still in stock for normal prices. The Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Magnum is a solid option with steel subframe for some extra recoil mitigation. Low recoil, good trigger, good sights, low muzzle blast, and quality OEM stocks.

User Tag List