Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver edumacation

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yep, no doubt.

But since I want one, I just wanted to post a picture of a GP100.
    Why don't you have a GP100 Match Champion already? It's the G17 of revolvers.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Is there a thread with @DocGKR's suggestions are for SD ammo out of a non-BUG .38/.357 revolver? I know if I buy a GP100 I'll use it mostly for target practice but it'd make a decent bedside gun. Doc's thread on .38 is in the context of a BUG, and if normal length barrel revolvers are in there I missed it for sure.

Basically, should I keep using Federal GMM .38 WC's in a "full size" revolver like a GP100 (same as my Ruger LCR in .38) or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    That would be fine. Also Rich, I would suggest you start spending more time here:
    https://pistol-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?83-Reloading
    Resistance is futile, it is just a matter of time...

Seriously, your mindset and aptitude would be a good fit, I think you would find it to be rewarding and entertaining.
    Rj,

Reloading is something to look at, at least long term for when you “retire-retire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I certainly don't think you'd be "wrong" to load wadcutters in your GP100.

The Speer Gold Dot .38 Special +P Short Barrel load does well out of a 4" barrel. I remember reading, but can't cite, that the "short barrel" part is actually for anything less than 6".

There are also some mid-powered Magnum loads, like the Golden Saber, and the Magnum .357 Gold Dot load, that are more like a super hot 9mm load than a full house magnum.

158 grain LSWCHP +P loads are no slouch out of a 4" tube, but do not do as well with barriers.

One of the things I like about a 4" .357 is you can stuff all sorts of ammo in it and it will work pretty well.
    Wadcutters are a trade off of power for shot placement and speed. While you could put them in a heavier revolver like a GP-100 there is no compelling reason to do so like there is in a smaller revolver like a J frame or LCR.

The rest of this ^^ is spot on. The old FBI/Chicago PD load, the 158 grain +p LSWCHP has a long and proven track record as a people stopper.

I think you can stand more recoil than a midrange wadcutter in that big old gun.
    I am kind of sensitive to recoil, .38 +P is about it these days.

I once worked up loads at Major power factor to shoot Revolver in IPSC, about like old .38-44 HV. Kind of a handful compared to a .45 automatic.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Quick clarification: Ruger also makes the 2.25" SP101 in 9mm. So far as I know, it’s still listed and available.
    Emailed today:
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sp...5#.XnucgUBFyUl

No affiliation.

Oboyoboy... the temptation for a "TulAmmo wheelie" is strong today...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I think you can stand more recoil than a midrange wadcutter in that big old gun.
    I am kind of sensitive to recoil, .38 +P is about it these days.

I once worked up loads at Major power factor to shoot Revolver in IPSC, about like old .38-44 HV. Kind of a handful compared to a .45 automatic.
    Light .38s in a revolver like the GP100 or an N frame are a major hoot. +P .38s are not even a big deal.

Fuuuuu...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I certainly don't think you'd be "wrong" to load wadcutters in your GP100.

The Speer Gold Dot .38 Special +P Short Barrel load does well out of a 4" barrel. I remember reading, but can't cite, that the "short barrel" part is actually for anything less than 6".

There are also some mid-powered Magnum loads, like the Golden Saber, and the Magnum .357 Gold Dot load, that are more like a super hot 9mm load than a full house magnum.

158 grain LSWCHP +P loads are no slouch out of a 4" tube, but do not do as well with barriers.

One of the things I like about a 4" .357 is you can stuff all sorts of ammo in it and it will work pretty well.
    I would agree with the bolded part above (and the rest too). Speer #14 shows loads for the 135 grain Short Barrel bullet in both 6" and 2" revolver barrels. Their data for +P .38 loads max out at about 1050 FPS in the 6" barrel. So I would think a factory loading is going to be close to the same window as their reloading data. Bottom line is that it would appear that 6" revolvers loaded with the factory Speer SB .38+P loads should be perfectly fine but are likely towards the upper end of the velocity window for that bullet. They make the regular 125s and 158s for full house magnum loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Light .38s in a revolver like the GP100 or an N frame are a major hoot. +P .38s are not even a big deal.
    I use 130gr American Eagle FMJ out of a GP100 all the time. It barely moves the gun, and it's really quite pleasant to shoot. I shot my 148gr wadcutters out of it and I swear I legit giggled at how little recoil there was.

User Tag List