Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlin 1894cs JM in .357/.38

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Gosh that's a nice gun. An 1894 in .357 is something I need in my life.
    You really do!

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    You really do!
    But first I need an engine in my truck...

LGS had a nice JM 1894 in .44 magnum that was very tempting but ultimately I decided to pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

LGS had a nice JM 1894 in .44 magnum that was very tempting but ultimately I decided to pass.
    Frankly the Rossi 92 44 mag I picked up a couple of weeks ago had more recoil than I wanted for the role I wanted this type of rifle to fill, even medium velocity .44 mag ammo. That is one of the reasons I picked up the Marlin in .357

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Good call. Read up on groove diameter and ammo matching issues affecting accuracy with the .44s before buying one.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Since my Marlin 1894cs was made in 1995 it has the two tapped holes on the side of the receiver to mount a sight. So I ordered a Williams - Marlin 1894 Foolproof Fire Sight set from Brownell's this morning. I decided I wanted the micrometer adjustments so I can easily adjust for different loads and bullet weights. I also want the fiber optic front sight for my tired old eyes. Also it meets my goal of keeping the rifle looking traditional and less threatening for travel in hoplophobic areas of the country like California.

Anyway I am excited to get it even though it might take a week or two to receive it. Most of the firearms related businesses are swamped right now due to panic buyers.

Last edited by 4given; 03-26-2020 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Good call. Read up on groove diameter and ammo matching issues affecting accuracy with the .44s before buying one.
    Do you have any links that cover what you’re talking about? I was thinking about going with a .44 mag lever gun, but given that, I may need to reconsider.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    No, it's been several years since I was looking into it. To greatly simplify the discussion, the groove diameters are frequently/usually 0.430-.431 on the Marlin .44 Mags, so a .429 jacketed or .430 unjacketed bullet can wobble around a bit and be less than ideally accurate, and the lead bullets are subject to leading more than usual. It can likely be solved with cast bullets sized to the gun, but then you're building custom ammo just for your gun. I'd rather have a gun that's .429 in the grooves and takes standard bullets. One of the appeals of the .44 lever gun is buying ammo almost anywhere.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

While these carbines are capable of firing .38sp, I have found them to be finicky about ammo, particularly OAL and bullet shape. One of the old cowboy action guys has told me that he can set one up to run .357 or to run .38 but that getting one to run both is challenging.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    No, it's been several years since I was looking into it. To greatly simplify the discussion, the groove diameters are frequently/usually 0.430-.431 on the Marlin .44 Mags, so a .429 jacketed or .430 unjacketed bullet can wobble around a bit and be less than ideally accurate, and the lead bullets are subject to leading more than usual. It can likely be solved with cast bullets sized to the gun, but then you're building custom ammo just for your gun. I'd rather have a gun that's .429 in the grooves and takes standard bullets. One of the appeals of the .44 lever gun is buying ammo almost anywhere.
    Legendary Lawman Chuck Haggard recommended to me not long ago to look at the new Henry Big Boy X Models. I'm wondering if those would have the same issue or not. Given their apparently better QA/QC, hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    While these carbines are capable of firing .38sp, I have found them to be finicky about ammo, particularly OAL and bullet shape. One of the old cowboy action guys has told me that he can set one up to run .357 or to run .38 but that getting one to run both is challenging.
    That's good to know. Given that it's a shoulder fired gun, I'd imagine that you're not going to have that much of an issue just making sure it runs .357 Mag and just run nothing but that in it. Unless you're just doing CAS/SASS with it.

I have a stainless one, mine is very finicky with 38spl ammo. 357 magnums run great in it.

User Tag List