Thread: H&K Machine Gun Questions

H&K Machine Gun Questions

I hope someone can give me some insight into the following regarding H&K machine guns.

1) With a machine gun with a sear pack; the sear is the registered part right? Thus it (and its trigger housing pack) can be transferred to any host and that host becomes the machine gun. Thus if you remove it and transfer to another host, the machine gun (let's say its a HK91) turns into a regular title I gun if you just place a regular 0-1 trigger pack into it, right?

2) Will I need to take into considering any receiver configurations on the sear/trigger pack with the new host? I understand there are a couple of different configurations to how the trigger/pistol grip housing fits into the receiver in these H&K guns (pin configuration and interfaces).

I shot an MP5 recently and I am very curious about getting my own especially since H&K is putting out their own SP5.

1) HKs can either be registered receivers, registered sears or registered trigger packs (the frame of the trigger pack itself). If you remove it from a host gun then that gun becomes a title I gun as long as the host gun meets all other requirements for being a title I firearm (e.g. OAL, barrel length, presence of a stock, what type of gun it was made as, etc). Make sure that you don't make an unregistered SBR by accident.

2) I only owned a sear in an MP5 (since sold) and never used it with anything other than 9mm, but IIRC I read that .308's need a different hammer spring.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    1) HKs can either be registered receivers, registered sears or registered trigger packs (the frame of the trigger pack itself). If you remove it from a host gun then that gun becomes a title I gun as long as the host gun meets all other requirements for being a title I firearm (e.g. OAL, barrel length, presence of a stock, what type of gun it was made as, etc). Make sure that you don't make an unregistered SBR by accident.

2) I only owned a sear in an MP5 (since sold) and never used it with anything other than 9mm, but IIRC I read that .308's need a different hammer spring.
    Thanks! I was thinking about transferring from a rifle to a pistol caliber SBR. Despite the H&K fandom, there is not a whole lot of published technical information. Going through H&K forums are kinda tedious and painful.

I have two close friends who have the whole setup with a registered friction sear. Both found some combination of springs and didled with a lower/trigger pack until the same one will run in a 93, 91, and MP5 with the sear in place without any modification. Glad to put you in touch with either of those guys if you need to know the details.

One trick about all this is the MP5 has to go back to SP89 pistol configuration when the registered lower is not in place or they would be creating an unregistered SBR by putting a regular semi-auto trigger pack back in with the stock. All because with the HK tribe the upper is the registered firearm, the opposite of the AR's. The rifles can all go back to a standard clipped and pinned semi auto trigger pack when the sear lower is in another gun.

One of these gentlemen went to great trouble to get an HK 11 style upper from a builder in the midwest some place, and it is a blast to shoot although the belts are a bitch to load.

The one thing both owners have told me is that it is a real pain that HK rifle barrels cannot be changed easily (you have to press out the whole front trunion and it takes a 30 ton press and the fixtures to do it) and with recreational guns like this a burnt out barrel seems to be an inevitable outcome...

A friend of mine has a few registered trigger packs. If your intent is to swap the pack between multiple hosts, make sure your state laws are compatible with that strategy. For example, in VA once you assemble a machine-gun you must register it and obtain a license from the state which specifies the model of firearm that the trigger pack has been installed into. I imagine you could swap to another host by submitting additional paperwork, but it'll be a bit more involved than just pressing the pins out at the range. I understand VA is an outlier in this sense as it maintains its own MG registry separate from the NFA, but I'm not familiar enough with the 50 states to know where else MGs have their own peculiar state requirements.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have two close friends who have the whole setup with a registered friction sear. Both found some combination of springs and didled with a lower/trigger pack until the same one will run in a 93, 91, and MP5 with the sear in place without any modification. Glad to put you in touch with either of those guys if you need to know the details.

One trick about all this is the MP5 has to go back to SP89 pistol configuration when the registered lower is not in place or they would be creating an unregistered SBR by putting a regular semi-auto trigger pack back in with the stock. All because with the HK tribe the upper is the registered firearm, the opposite of the AR's. The rifles can all go back to a standard clipped and pinned semi auto trigger pack when the sear lower is in another gun.

One of these gentlemen went to great trouble to get an HK 11 style upper from a builder in the midwest some place, and it is a blast to shoot although the belts are a bitch to load.

The one thing both owners have told me is that it is a real pain that HK rifle barrels cannot be changed easily (you have to press out the whole front trunion and it takes a 30 ton press and the fixtures to do it) and with recreational guns like this a burnt out barrel seems to be an inevitable outcome...
    Thanks for the heads up about the barrel fitment. I was planning on getting something like a PTR 9CT 601 and SBR'ing it to use as a host. If the barrel burns out, it's probably cheaper just to take the PTR off the title II registry and sell it off as a pistol. For the most part, are the sear packs durable and not a wear part or does it definitely needs a pitch count before it dies? My M16A1 lower is probably going to last forever as long as I change out the buffer spring regularly. Even though I probably won't shoot Knob Creek volumes of ammo; I would like to pass it on to my son at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    are the sear packs durable and not a wear part or does it definitely needs a pitch count before it dies?
    I haven't a clue, I have never heard of one being worn out. The registered lower's are the factory configuration but the friction sears were designed here in the U.S. by a couple of SOT's who stamped them out and serialized/registered them very rapidly in the run up to the cut off date for registered transferables in '86. The entire friction sear trigger pack is a hybrid between the semi-auto and the factory full auto, but there are a lot more of them in circulation (transferable). I know the two that belong to my local friends have run for thousands and thousands of rounds so far.

User Tag List