Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IWB Cross Draw? Anybody? Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Seems cross draw is not very popular. I was actually considering trying it for OWB.
    Cross draw OWB is more exposed to a grab from someone standing in front of you than conventional(strong side) OWB.

I've seen this work for some people as an alternative to AIWB. Typically very small people. My friend Annette Evans as an example.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Crossdraw has been used by a ton of guys in lo-visibility high risk professions such as Ed Lovette, who was running down sources on the streets of Beirut for information on William Buckley in the aftermath of his kidnapping and execution.

It's not my preference but it most assuredly is viable even in this grand age where many believe that "appendix" carry was invented on the internet.

Much like conventional appendix carry used to be...there is a dearth of quality, purpose built holsters designed for the position and that's really the limiting factor these days. The old Alessi Talon with a muzzle forward rake was a favorite back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    What problem does this solve ? Is aiwb at 12-2 o’clock too simple?
    @Duke, good question. I wear my trousers at my natural waist. That leaves the space between waistband and floating ribs too short to wear AIWB. When I sit (which is most of the day), the gun butt rides up over my lower ribs and loses concealment.

Cross-draw puts the highest point of the gun more on my mid-line, a space where no ribs grow, negating the printing issue.

Edit: You see Duke's photograph above? I wear my trousers about where his navel is.
    (Disclosure: Other than navels, my torso has nothing in common with his.)
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 03-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    What holster are you looking at ? I'm interested as well. I know Mitch Rosen sells a leather one but at 210 bucks....
    @BigDaddy, I've had four JMCK holsters and have been very pleased with their design, materials, construction, and finish. In my mind, the WingClaw 2.5 should be capable of modifying to cross-draw. It seems to be a matter of depth and angle. If I decide on cross-draw it's a near certainty that Tony will be involved, if he wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Seems cross draw is not very popular. I was actually considering trying it for OWB.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The only scenario in which it seems potentially better is for someone who's in the driver's seat of a vehicle during their main threat times and you are right handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Cross draw OWB is more exposed to a grab from someone standing in front of you than conventional(strong side) OWB.
    I got distracted and didn't finish my post. The issue I'm having for OWB is my right hip is problematic. Carrying OWB anywhere from 2:00 to 4:00 becomes painful over time. So it's try cross draw, or carry at 4:30 or further. I know that is popular, but when seated you're sitting on the gun. My thought is 10:30 position is still more accessible and easier to defend than say 5:00.

ETA: I'll still primarily carry AIWB, but looking for a more comfortable alternative for more casual settings.

If you're thinking of crossdraw have you thought about a shoulder holster?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you're thinking of crossdraw have you thought about a shoulder holster?
    @Trooper224, that's an option, but it would mean keeping my jacket on most of the day. I'd rather get by with a meant-to-be-untucked shirt (polo / guayabera / etc) or light sweater.

Ah, the annual cross-draw question. I think most of the negatives have already been covered, but let me touch on a couple of points that I know from having done it in some limited instances.

1: Draw, it's really "different" vs regular AIWB. I'm right handed, so when I have to draw from the 1030-1130 position, the odds of sweeping anybody on my left front quadrant greatly increase. This can be mitigated by bladeing you body. Best way to describe it is setting yourself up for a modified weaver. Have to remember the rule about not pointing guns at people who don't need guns pointed at them.

2: Draw from concealment is nowhere as clean or fast as AIWB. In most instances, the trade-off is not worth it.

The one plus is I find my wrist is already locked, based on the one purpose built holster I use for this.
    The only time I use this method is in the cold weather, when I am wearing Carhart zip front bib coveralls. No other way of pistol carriage works as well in this instance than cross-draw, with my zipper a little more than halfway unzipped. it conceals well, yet lets me draw unimpeded. I do not have another garment covering the gun under the coveralls.
    Name:  IMG_0889.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  43.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0890.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  36.5 KB
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

I used to carry my BUG 642 in an ultrathin kydex IWB cross draw. Made for a fast transition to secondary, but I could never get used to offering the grip of the pistol to everyone in front of me...

User Tag List