Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: finally set up my LMT MWS .308

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Nice. What is a reasonable expectation for precision? I have an Aero M5 16 inch gun and it definitely is NOT a 1 MOA gun. With 168 grain FGMM, it is about 2 MOA consistently. I hope you report back on you groups!
    Well, let's first consider that I am not an experienced long range shooter! My only foray into long range was when I took a long range carbine course with John McPhee a couple of years ago. We were shooting at 12x24" steel silhouettes out to 600 yards, so not for groups.

When we zeroed at 100 meters I remember that I got about an inch or maybe a bit over, with a 5.56 AR with 16" heavy SS barrel.

This LMT has a regular chrome lined barrel. So it will be interesting to see what kind of groups I could get. If I hit steel out to 600 I'll personally consider it a success. If I could eventually go out to 800 I'll be ecstatic. I'll have to see where I can even shoot at those distances. I am seriously tempted to go back and take John's heavy carbine class again, this time with my .308. I had a hell of a great time and learned a lot. Plus he served the most amazing home cooked ribs for lunch, and then let us fire a magazine on fully auto through this FAL looking gun at the end of the class. Plus he's funny as hell. But I digress!

I'm hoping that I can go to an indoor 100yard range this Thursday in Cottonwood AZ. I called and they are planning on being open this week, closed Tue and Wed, or I'd go tomorrow!

But I shall post pictures of my groups. The rifle range is very good although maybe the lighting down at 100 yards is a bit dim for my 50 year old eyes...oh no I'm already starting to make excuses!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    Your scope is going to be just fine mounted in the rings that way.

You don't need to use feeler gauges to perfectly even the ring spaces. If they look symmetrical they'll be fine.

You're not going to be able to tell the difference between a 100yd or a 100m zero. Also, mils work just fine with yards and MOA will work just fine with meters. They're both just angles.

Looks like a sweet rifle!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the validation and the information!

After I zero I'm going to try and find somewhere where maybe I can shoot out to at least 500 yards, although with this damn virus around I don't know who will be open for business. Maybe I can find some remote desert somewhere and put some buckets out there

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Thanks for bringing that up! It's funny, I put those offset BUIS's on there just because I was supposed to I guess...but when I looked through them for the first time I was like...if something fast is charging my A$$ from 25 yards and in, or moving dynamically in any way, the BUIS's don't seem that comforting. I'm not budgeted for an RDS at this point but a used H1 and offset mount could be in my future at some point.

On that note, bad cheek weld and increased height above bore issues aside, I could see why some would opt for a mini RDS on top of the scope (the Brits on their 308 LMT's) as it must give a superior field of view without the scope blocking a sizable chunk of the left center vision, even with both eyes open. I know 3 gunners use offset sights but they know where the targets are, and have already rehearsed their shooting sequences I'm thinking.

What are your thoughts on a top mounted system?
    I think that as LAV said, “guns live in a vertical world.” Both have downsides, it’s pick your poison.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I think that as LAV said, “guns live in a vertical world.” Both have downsides, it’s pick your poison.
    True Dat!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    From an Aero factory gun with standard barrel ? 2 MOA is pretty good. For an LMT I’d be looking for half that with good Ammo. You get what you pay for. A different barrel might help you Aero if you want a precision gun.

There is a bit of a learning curve to shooting AR-10s for precision as well.
    My MWS was an 18"SS. There is definitely a learning curve. I ran several different match loads through it looking for what it liked best. I'll have to dig my notes out. From memory, I would say 168gr FGMM was around 1MOA out of mine.

Very nice!

I've always thought I'd like to get one of these, or perhaps an SR25.

Not buying anything right now though.

cc

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Very nice!

I've always thought I'd like to get one of these, or perhaps an SR25.

Not buying anything right now though.

cc
    Thanks! When I bought the MWS mid-late 2018, that’s how long I’ve been sitting on it, I remember that it was way easier on my finances to get it vs the SR-25. You probably know more about it than I do, but I think the SR25 is a lighter more nimble gun. The MWS is a solid chunk and if weight is a concern for your particular application the SR25 may the better way to go. The savings I got with the MWS allowed me to go more expensive on the scope and I really wanted that NF with the Tremor 3 reticle. The other thing I skimped on was the barrel, but I thought I’d ease into it, and stuck to the standard 16” chrome lined which research showed people reporting having good precision with, which saved me around $800 if I remember well. I had to order the MLok version through a dealer also, I couldn’t find one in the wild. Best of luck with getting the right one when you are ready.

@DacoRoman Great looking set up.

Older pic, and I've since sold the LMT MWS, but I had it set up for hunting here in Florida. It was project gun that I thought I needed, but turned out to be massive overkill, so I sent it down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    @DacoRoman Great looking set up.

Older pic, and I've since sold the LMT MWS, but I had it set up for hunting here in Florida. It was project gun that I thought I needed, but turned out to be massive overkill, so I sent it down the road.

Nice! Was it too heavy to lug around for hunting I'm guessing? Those British Designated Marksmen with those LMT L129A1's are getting a work out with it too I bet. I've been getting a work out with mine just messing around with it, of course my role for it will be perched prone somewhere banging steel Mine may be a bit lighter due to the MLok rail, but probably not that much.

Those other boom sticks are sweet looking too btw! Noveske and KAC! You've got great taste! Thanks for posting that picture.

Obligatory Gun Jesus video if you haven't seen it yet:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List