Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: finally set up my LMT MWS .308

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    There are scope leveling devices on the market you can use. I have one you can borrow if you promise to return. It levels the rifle and then you hang a plumb at distance to level the reticle.

The recoil of the .308 isnt bad but the massive chunck of.recoiling BCG in that .308 gas gun made me work for consistent follow-up shots.

I'm not an accomplished or experienced long range shooter but my moderate performance with my MWS imrpved with practice and ammo selection had an effect.
    You are extremely generous to offer that! I may have to take you up on it. I am awaiting to see what NF says about it and looking at some devices that I may actually buy myself. Which one do you have so I can take a look at it.

I hear you regarding working for the follow up shots. Ironically the only other .308 I shot was a fully auto FN FAL squad automatic version.

So...rookie mistake, the two bubbles I used give slightly different readings when checked side by side.

I’ve ordered some, hopefully better, bubbles.

I also learned the shine a light through the front of one’s optic trick, to project the reticle onto the wall where you can set up a small plumb line, and will be resetting my scope set up in a few days.

To get the scope true to the rifle rail, or at least the scope mount, I tried to get the Arisaka leveler but everyone is sold out of it! I bought a cheaper version from Tough Tactical Tools since I couldn’t get the coveted Arisaka.

https://www.amazon.com/Tough-Tactica...5504234&sr=8-3

So the plan is to mount my scope to the unimount with the scope leveler wedge, double check the top of the turret scope level to the rail with more accurate levels, torque the scope rings, project my reticle onto the wall and true it up with the plumb line, and then reset my Vortex scope bubble while the reticle is true to the plumb line.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 03-29-2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Auto correct screwed the pooch

OK update for the sake of completion.

I re-leveled and repositioned my scope in the following manner.

I used a Tough Tactical Scope leveling tool to level the scope to the Nightforce Unimount. I torqued the ring screws per spec.

I then projected bright light through the front of the scope and projected the reticle on a wall where I hung a plumb line and after aligning the crosshairs with the plumb line, I then leveled a scope mounted level that I bought from Vortex. This way the Scope level would indicate when my reticle was in line with gravity determined vertical plumb line.

Nightforce was great enough to respond to my inquiry about the scope possibly shifting in the rings after torquing them down. I spoke to a super nice and informative fellow named John. Now in the meantime I had realized the rookie mistake of using two levels that showed a comparative discrepancy. In any case, John said that based on Accuracy 1st's and long range super star Todd Hodnett, it is not that imperative that one levels the scope to the action of the gun. The important thing is to put a bubble level on the scope and level that to a gravity plumb line. Some shooters will have the scope mounted a bit off the level of the gun's action so that it fits better in their shoulder pocket.

Here are some pictures of the kit I used. I wanted to get one by Arisaka Defense which is apparently the cat's tits, but it was out of stock everywhere and so I settled on the Tough Tactical kit.

How it fits between the scope and the mount.

Re-zeroed the gun at 100 yards.

Granted they are only 3 round groups, but a few are just sub 1", which is impressive for a 16" CL barrel I should think. Ammo was once again IMI 175gr Match. In the upper right corner there is this weird flier I got when I was shooting at that blacked out inch square on the top right.

There is one single shot in the bottom center left. I tried to hit that little area where the 3 shot group illustration shows that little X, on 16 power..close but no cigar

So I think now it's set for good.

Anyway, the rifle is a solid beast of warm gun fuzziness. I am so diggin' it. And the scope is working out splendidly. What a cool company Nightforce is too, superb customer support.

Actually, I think what I may do at some point is replace the Vortex bubble, with an Accuracy 1st scope bubble, which has more hash marks on it.

I'll be scoping out my second long range class with someone here in AZ whenever things settle down. I've taken a John McPhee "heavy carbine" class in NC, where we shot to 600 yards (it was a great class btw), but I shot that with a 556 gun with a 1-5x scope (I had the puniest scope in the class), and I'd like to learn to take it out a bit further now that I have the .308.

From the McPhee course.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 04-10-2020 at 10:42 PM.

User Tag List