Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DD Mk18 + Turbo K Questions

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Hi all,

So I finally decided to make the NFA jump today and made the drive down to @Hansohn Brothers for a Turbo K. It's going on a DD Mk18....a Block II model, with the correct Crane-spec gas port.

Two questions:

1) Hansohn didn't have the flash hider attachment in stock, just the Turbo K + brake. I'd rather have a flash hider when shooting the Mk18 unsuppressed....you know, 10" barrel + brake = bad. The openings on the YHM flashhider are pretty large though, and I'm curious if there's really difference? Also, would going the flash hider route limit effectiveness, or compatibility of future cans?

2) Is the Govnah still the primo option for a quick-adjust adjustable gas block? Should I be looking at something else for switching between suppressed/unsuppressed? It has to work with an RIS II, is all.

Thanks for your help.
    I have some different opinions:

1 - Install the brake to act as a sacrificial baffle for your suppressor. Buy the YHM Blast Deflector when going loud.

2 - I look at the adjustable gas blocks as set-it-and forget-it BUT I shoot 100% suppressed. Yes, plenty of options here to include the Adjustable BCGs or gas tubes/inserts.

I built what I thought was the ultimate in "optimized" suppressed only gas control and still got gassed during calm days:

11.5" mid-length
    LMT E-carrier
    Vltor A5
    SLR AGB
    Silicon mod on CH

Currently using an older DD MK18 10.3 with a Superlative. The issue here is bleed off cannot bleed enough suppressed since this is the older massive gas port barrel. You can use the Superlative like a normal restriction AGB, which is what I do.

I do agree though that less moving parts is better overall.

And I want the Turbo K but would run it direct thread. I don't shoot enough to wear it out and I can't imagine when I want to shoot without it. My Trek works great, its just 18.1 oz hung out there vs ~10oz with the Turbo K.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    1 - Install the brake to act as a sacrificial baffle for your suppressor. Buy the YHM Blast Deflector when going loud.
    How much will using a FH reduce the life span of the Turbo K?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

How much will using a FH reduce the life span of the Turbo K?
    You cant quantify that.

Firing schedule, ammo, barrel composition all have bearing on the answer to that question.

Realistically, its a moot issue.

Having said that, given that Suppressors are far more difficult to replace than a barrel, I tend to always run brakes for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Having said that, given that Suppressors are far more difficult to replace than a barrel, I tend to always run brakes for peace of mind.
    I thought YHM could rebuild the suppressor for $200 or so. Seems like a small lifetime expense considering the amount of ammo and guns I'd need to burn through to get there.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I thought YHM could rebuild the suppressor for $200 or so. Seems like a small lifetime expense considering the amount of ammo and guns I'd need to burn through to get there.
    If you shoot out the can, YHM will replace it, once. To the best of my knowledge, this is how their limited lifetime warranty works. Shrug.

I dont really have any huge concerns about shooting a can out. My only concerns arise from damage due to misuse or sheer dumb friggin luck.

There are some cool threads over on the other forum showing first blast baffle erosion as round counts progress. It takes ALOT to degrade these things to the point where they're no longer functional.

My buddy has a surefire RC .30 cal can that has been fed a steady diet of .223 steel cased wolf along with .308 wolf (steel cased) and the thing weighs FOUR ounces over its listed factory weight. The can still suppresses and the blast baffle looks essentially, new. The can has been run with a combination of muzzle brakes and war comps. We beat the ever loving shit out of this thing over the years.

Realistic life span for a can that gets hot but doesnt get abused is 60-100k rounds or more. There are VERY few of us that are shooting that kind of volume. As much as it sucks ass to buy cans, I dont forsee myself only owning one or two cans or being stuck with one can for life (should they be banned, ill just relegate my cans to home defense duty and never take them to the range).

Long story short, dont over think it guys. Run what you like and enjoy your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    There are some cool threads over on the other forum showing first blast baffle erosion as round counts progress. It takes ALOT to degrade these things to the point where they're no longer functional.
    Can I link to arfcom? Lots of good pics, including brakes:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/B...447860/&page=6

I know I will never wear out any of my centerfire rifle suppressors. Thats why I am ok with direct thread to save weight.

User Tag List