Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD Mk18 + Turbo K Questions

DD Mk18 + Turbo K Questions

Hi all,

So I finally decided to make the NFA jump today and made the drive down to @Hansohn Brothers for a Turbo K. It's going on a DD Mk18....a Block II model, with the correct Crane-spec gas port.

Two questions:

1) Hansohn didn't have the flash hider attachment in stock, just the Turbo K + brake. I'd rather have a flash hider when shooting the Mk18 unsuppressed....you know, 10" barrel + brake = bad. The openings on the YHM flashhider are pretty large though, and I'm curious if there's really difference? Also, would going the flash hider route limit effectiveness, or compatibility of future cans?

2) Is the Govnah still the primo option for a quick-adjust adjustable gas block? Should I be looking at something else for switching between suppressed/unsuppressed? It has to work with an RIS II, is all.

Thanks for your help.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have a Turbo K in jail. I've tested it a few times on a 16" Sionics rifle. Brass was ejecting at 1:30 with the can mounted. I installed a Superlative arms bleed off gas block and found a happy setting that locks back without the can on 5.56 ammo and ejects at around 3:00 with the can. I'm hoping it all holds up and is a set and forget it solution. Allegedly the bleed off design is more robust and is less likely to erode or seize up. Time will tell.

If it doesn't work out the Bootleg carrier is my backup option. Its adjustable with a flat head and seems to get good reviews. I dont think the Govnah is still produced.

Another option is one of the BRT gas tubes. They sell reduced size gas tubes for a reasonable price and in many different sizes. If you reach out to them they can recommend a size for dual use or dedicated suppressor use.

The Govnah is no longer . I like my Superlative on my BCM 11.5” with a Sig SR556QD Ti, it fixed the cycling issues.

Order the can and let @Hansohn Brothers find you a flashhider, he will.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Hi all,

So I finally decided to make the NFA jump today and made the drive down to @Hansohn Brothers for a Turbo K. It's going on a DD Mk18....a Block II model, with the correct Crane-spec gas port.

Two questions:

1) Hansohn didn't have the flash hider attachment in stock, just the Turbo K + brake. I'd rather have a flash hider when shooting the Mk18 unsuppressed....you know, 10" barrel + brake = bad. The openings on the YHM flashhider are pretty large though, and I'm curious if there's really difference? Also, would going the flash hider route limit effectiveness, or compatibility of future cans?

2) Is the Govnah still the primo option for a quick-adjust adjustable gas block? Should I be looking at something else for switching between suppressed/unsuppressed? It has to work with an RIS II, is all.

Thanks for your help.
    We have the flash hider version due by the end of the week. Give us a call tomorrow and we will change the serial number on the form 4. Or you can let it ride and purchase a Mini flash hider.

Thank you for your support!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Hi all,

Two questions:

Thanks for your help.
    Your Mk18 should run both suppressed and in suppressed. Adjustable gas blocks are a point of failure and gas leakage best avoided except as a last resort.

The Turbo K is a modular can, it takes the “standard” Silencer Omega specification modular mount options.

You can run Keymo, ASR, Q, and Griffin armament mounts in lieu of the YHM brake.

I’m currently running an Omega with a Keymo conversion and have a Turbo K in NFA jail which will get the same.

In addition to Dead Air’s Keymo mounts, you can run SOLGW NOX, which is basically a Keymo version of the Warcomp. Roger Wang of Forward Controls also has a pen excellent closed tine Keymo flash hider.

We run MK18s suppressed and have both older ones and newer ones all with several different cans(alot of them wear Gemtechs). Most run well but more than a few of them run better suppressed with a heavier buffer. They also bought some of the Gemtech suppressor bolts (mine has one in it) which seem to make them run a bit more reliably suppressed.

Like someone said above, screw adjustable gas blocks. Great for games but not for hard use. I've seen more than one walk out or get carbon fouled and lock up, most run ok but I've seen enough shit the bed where I would rather just have gun that runs without one.

A mk18 with a .070 gas port, std carbine spring, H2 buffer, will run anything you throw at it suppressed or not. I say anything...I don't shoot wolf or Tula in my guns, but Fed American Eagle 55gr .223, Speer Gold Dot .223, and a host of 5.56 loads...no issues. I have an old M4-2000 on mine.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

For clarification, I wasn't looking at it strictly from the point of getting the gun to function. I think it's fairly well known that such a setup is functional with a suppressor.

I'm thinking more about enjoyment of shooting; reducing gas to the face, and keeping the same .22 Magnum level felt recoil this weapon has. Think of Sionics RGP barrel......if possible, I'd like to have that level of...."efficiency"...both suppressed and unsuppressed. From everything I've read, the SA gas block is good reliable hardware, and also helps with suppression and people note their guns are quieter at the shooter's ear due to the bleed off system. Honestly that last part sounds like a good enough reason on its own.....whatever excess gas isn't needed to function the bolt is vented out the front away from the shooter, instead of at the BCG vent holes in close proximity to the shooter's ear.

As a personal weapon used for enjoyment, I see no reason to not make it better provided it's still functional.
    Last edited by TGS; 04-16-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

You could try what I did with my 11.5" to run suppressed and unsuppressed, since I couldn't fit a Govnah under a WedgeLock (I still got one NIB that I'm saving for a 10.3" project, which the PDW thread has convinced me should sport a LAW folder), and run an LMT eBCG paired with an A5 and Radian Raptor-SD, and just play with buffer weights between suppressed and unsuppressed (gas to face still exists when freshly lubed, but isn't that bad, though it doesn't compare with my 14.5" with a Govnah). The SA bleed-off definitely seems interesting, but I haven't come across many hard-use reviews the last time I checked, with some posts questioning the actual efficacy of the bleed-off functionality, so I'm still leery on it. There have always been folks that have ran Noveske SwitchBlocks, and just cut the RIS II to allow for adjustment. Beyond that, there are the aforementioned Bootleg/GemTech adjustable carriers.

I do think it would be nice if someone else picked up the Govnah design; heavy as it is, there's simply nothing else quite like it.

Another option that seems to be fairly reliable (at the cost of convenience) is the Black River Tactical adjustable gas block/inserts. If you're willing to to spend the time and effort on testing various insert sizes, you could likely eke out some additional performance, though that might be a lot more hassle than you're looking for.

User Tag List