Thread: Possible SR-72?

We know that the SR71 and U2 was 50s and 60s tech and the F117 and B2 was 70s and 80s tech, Where are we now and what is already flying?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The F-35 program managers are running the CDC, from what I can tell.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The common inlet, common nozzle of the combined turbine and scramjet engines has all the appearances of solving major hurdles to the development of zero-speed, zero-altitude to hypersonic air breathing vehicles. What can we usefully do with that capability?

My understanding of what's out there on the "SR-72" is that what's proposed is an unmanned recon aircraft with some possible weapons capability. I note that China's most recent military parade included a rocket powered drone with an apparent recon mission to direct long range missile strikes. Perhaps the mission of a "SR-72" would be similar?

High Speed Chinese Rocket Recon Drone

To be clear, an air-breathing turbo-scramjet with light strike capability "SR-72" could be expected to have much greater range, speed, and flexiblity than the vehicle noted in the linked article, but maybe the mission is that same?

Then there's also the possibilty of using a "SR-72" type of vehicle as the first stage of a space launch system. There's the possiblity that we began attempting such a system back in late '80s.

Space Launch Mothership
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List